Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 12:23 PM

77 posts, read 74,357 times

Advertisements

I'm moving there for a job in August/September in 85015 area. I'm planning to keep my commute down to 15 minutes or less. I've looked into South Scottsdale or North Tempe area by Tempe Town Lake. Would central Scottsdale be doable? I'm looking for a nice, safe apartment. My budget is <$900 a month but can stretch to <$1000 a month. I'm in my late 20s and do not mind college students. I actually think apartments full of them are better than full off iffy people. I keep to myself most of the time but would love to be close to walkable shops, book stores i.e, Barnes and Noble etc, and non-chain restaurants. Any other recommendations/ideas would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 02:50 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Not in 15 minutes or less. In normal commuting hours, anything that far east is going to be way more than 15 minutes. You need to be no further east than Central Ave to have a sure 15 minute commute. Better to go east than west, in that area.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:52 PM

I guess I'll be more specific. Would central Scottsdale and Paradise Valley be too far from Christown Spetrum Mall? Distance on the map isn't bad but those smaller roads are probably full of traffic lights.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexethan View Post
I guess I'll be more specific. Would central Scottsdale and Paradise Valley be too far from Christown Spetrum Mall? Distance on the map isn't bad but those smaller roads are probably full of traffic lights.

If "too far" means outside 15 minutes, yes. Central Scottsdale by quite a bit, if by Paradise Valley you don't mean the town of that name, but the area of north Phoenix to the north (east and west) of that town, either way, you are outside 15 minutes. Traffic lights, yes, at least every mile, and it's further in miles and time than it looks on a map; you are going to be on surface streets, not freeways.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:45 PM

Thanks.

How's Indian School Road? I've heard of that road on the news. . There's a luxury apartment there called The Hawthorne that looks nice on paper.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

How's Indian School Road? I've heard of that road on the news. . There's a luxury apartment there called The Hawthorne that looks nice on paper.

Indian School is a very long road that goes all the way across the Valley. The Hawthorne is at 3rd Ave just south of Indian School. Not a bad choice, in that it's also close to the light rail if you want to go downtown or out to Tempe, or, for that matter, to your job location if your car is in the shop or for whatever reason.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Indian School is a very long road that goes all the way across the Valley. The Hawthorne is at 3rd Ave just south of Indian School. Not a bad choice, in that it's also close to the light rail if you want to go downtown or out to Tempe, or, for that matter, to your job location if your car is in the shop or for whatever reason.
I realize that. Most major roads in the valley extend from one end to the other. I'll be by Christown Spectrum Mall. It seems like there's a lot of shady activities on Indian School Road in the news. I'm not sure where specifically along that stretch.

I'll check out The Hawthorne. It looks promising and gated so that's good. That's a bonus that it's close to the light rail.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:41 PM

720 posts, read 734,342 times
Hi Lexethan, 7th St and Northern going towards your work are good areas.... you should check crimereports.com to see if area has sex offenders, petty theft, etc. as well apartments.com is a good site (same as the little booklet). That's what I used 20+ years ago when I first moved and I was pleasantly surprised. It may make sense for you to stay at an extended stay hotel or somewhere month to month until you figure things out - the valley is huge and the vibe is different depending on where you go - good luck!
Maha

Old 06-24-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochaz View Post
Hi Lexethan, 7th St and Northern going towards your work are good areas.... you should check crimereports.com to see if area has sex offenders, petty theft, etc. as well apartments.com is a good site (same as the little booklet). That's what I used 20+ years ago when I first moved and I was pleasantly surprised. It may make sense for you to stay at an extended stay hotel or somewhere month to month until you figure things out - the valley is huge and the vibe is different depending on where you go - good luck!
Maha
Thank you! I'll definitely look into that. Tempe town lake area is drawing me there lol. 20-28 minutes with google traffic report for the time I need to get into work as long as I stay close to loop 202. There are only two apartments close to work that seem to be a good fit, which I will definitely check out as well. Their reviews on apartments rating website look bad though.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Thank you! I'll definitely look into that. Tempe town lake area is drawing me there lol. 20-28 minutes with google traffic report for the time I need to get into work as long as I stay close to loop 202. There are only two apartments close to work that seem to be a good fit, which I will definitely check out as well. Their reviews on apartments rating website look bad though.
Apartments right around your work are not going to be what you want. Not the best area, and not a lot around there except the mall, either. 20-28 minutes to Spectrum from Tempe Town Lake is not going to happen during peak traffic times. I think your midtown approach with the Hawthorne or something else in that area is a good place to start. Staying in an extended stay hotel for a couple of weeks is not a bad idea at all, either, so you don't get locked in to a lease until you are sure it's what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area