Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 10:24 PM

3 posts, read 2,364 times

Advertisements

Hello! hopefully soon to be first time homeowner here. Have some practical questions regarding maintaining a house.
first, do you use a padlock for the backyard gate? If so, how do maintenance people, eg pool, landscaping, utility people gain access? If you lock it, do you leave key in a key box, or do you use a lock with a number?
Also, is it common for trash to be taken only once a week? The house we're looking at has a small dumpster. Is that how they take the trash?
Thanks in advance for your answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 10:47 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlostboy View Post
Hello! hopefully soon to be first time homeowner here. Have some practical questions regarding maintaining a house.
first, do you use a padlock for the backyard gate? If so, how do maintenance people, eg pool, landscaping, utility people gain access? If you lock it, do you leave key in a key box, or do you use a lock with a number?
Also, is it common for trash to be taken only once a week? The house we're looking at has a small dumpster. Is that how they take the trash?
Thanks in advance for your answers
Utility people don't need access. Your water meter is in your front yard, more than likely, and you either have a smart meter for electric or it is probably in the front yard, too, or at least readable with binoculars. I have padlocked my gates (they aren't now) but I have neither a pool service (no pool) or a landscaper. I'm sure others who have those services will chime in with what they do. If I did have those services, and I knew when they were coming, I'd just take the lock off for that day and then put it back on.

Not sure where you are living, if you are only getting pickup once a week with one small dumpster. At least some cities in the Valley are picking up recyclables, which requires two separate containers and, at least in some cases, pickup on different days.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:16 AM

3 posts, read 2,364 times
Thanks. Will wait for other replies too

Old 06-30-2015, 12:39 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Do you have an alley with a large plastic trash can? I lived in a home with one of those hated it because my house was on the end and everyone used it for a dump. When the trashcan was full they just left it in the alley for me to clean up. A few times a year I would come home to a couch behind my house in the alley too. The city would fine me for the couch being left there LOL. I would padlock any gate so it's secure if you have a landscaper get a 4 dial combo lock which comes with a pin used to change the combo.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:19 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Utility people don't need access. Your water meter is in your front yard, more than likely, and you either have a smart meter for electric or it is probably in the front yard, too, or at least readable with binoculars. I have padlocked my gates (they aren't now) but I have neither a pool service (no pool) or a landscaper. I'm sure others who have those services will chime in with what they do. If I did have those services, and I knew when they were coming, I'd just take the lock off for that day and then put it back on.

Not sure where you are living, if you are only getting pickup once a week with one small dumpster. At least some cities in the Valley are picking up recyclables, which requires two separate containers and, at least in some cases, pickup on different days.
We have a gas meter in the back, and they come in the yard to read it. Have had 3 houses in Phoenix over 35+ years and have never locked the gate. We do lock the gate to the alley.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:32 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Definitely lock the gate. You'll likely go years or even decades without a problem, then someone will jack your grill, bikes, etc. if you don't..

Also, if your gate is locked, there's no excuse for anyone to be around the perimeter of your house - you *know* they had to jump a wall to get into your yard, and they *know* they don't belong there.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:34 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,867 times
I would definitely lock your gate especially having a pool. If someone drowns or gets hurt you're responsible. I use one of those realtors lock boxes for my gate key and attach the lock box to the main gas line at the meter. My landscaper and my neighbor have the code and you can easily change that if needed No one in their right mind is going to try and cut through that.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:30 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
My gate is locked and the companies that need access have a key.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:11 AM

445 posts, read 515,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post

Pretty much this.

I've always had a padlock on the gate. If someone needs access I'd leave it unlocked for the day but other than that it's always locked. If someone is going to steal stuff out of my yard, they're going to have to work really hard for it and hop the fence, dragging whatever it is they took with them.

I remember when I first moved here over 4 years ago and my landlord at our rental in North Phoenix asked why we locked the gate...didn't understand what we were worried about and said most people don't lock their gates around here. I replied that where we come from, if you have your stuff stolen and it wasn't locked up or locked down, it's your own fault.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:26 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
We don't lock our gate at home because I'm here almost all the time and it would be a pain. But we do lock it when we're gone.

We're currently remodeling our rental house. I have a lock on the gate there. We also have motion activated security lights for the front porch, side (garage) entrance and next to the patio door in the back. That's something you might want to consider as well.

Congratulations on buying your first home. It's a great feeling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: