U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 06:01 PM

5,457 posts, read 13,580,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
For the past yr and a half, I have run through all the pros and cons...My husband works close to 10 hour days, by choice. So theoretically when he is in LA working...the thought was at first that he just stay in an extended stay during the week(coming home on the weekends) for a month or so...that would be cheaper than an apt...then if he tires of doing that, then maybe progress to an apt being close by to work. He wouldnt have to drive 70 miles a day.
Maybe I'm just biased because I'm a man and I naturally empathize more with the husband's point of view, but are you are sure this is what he wants or is it what you want? I could see this scenario working on a temporary basis, a few months, maybe even a whole year, but you think that could continue for years and years, as a permanent setup? A little wishful thinking, IMO. Something has got to give sooner or later. Not to mention that fuel prices keep rising, which means airfare will keep rising-- over time, trans-city commuting will become less affordable than it is now. And all that trouble for the privilege of living in Gilbert, where half the year is over 100 degrees and with a whole month of consecutive 110 degree days, and the same big box chain stores you can get anywhere else? If it's just a family friendly, new, clean, ultra-suburban community you're looking for, you can find that all over America, including right in southern California. Several of the cities in southern Orange County (Mission Viejo for one, I think) as well as several cities in Ventura County were recently rated as some of the safest cities in America. And by chance, have you have looked into Temecula, CA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 08:03 AM

313 posts, read 709,134 times
Your viewpoint is greatly appreciated...and right now we are merely researching and discussing it from a hypothetical standpoint. For the most part...my husband and I are in agreement with how we feel about overall southern CA presence. I am longing to be in a wholesome environment where people actually go to church on Sunday (they do in Gilbert). I want to raise our family in a "normal" area. Orange Co was as close as I close find to normal. I didnt get that superficial, all about me attitude there. We did live in Gilbert for 2 yrs...and before that many other places...it was the best fit for us as we love the desert beauty, and people were friendly and it is planned out well and easy to get around. I did a couple summers and the heat doesnt bother me, afterall it IS the desert.

I will check out Temecula...because if I can find another alternative, I will. It just seems like every place here, there's always a drawback and Gilbert keeps looking better and better. Mission Viejo is like Westlake right? Another thing...ok...I know it sounds petty...and I realize that much of this area was developed in the late 60's to the late 70's...and there not anything I find remotely desirable about that era from a building standpoint. California quaint areas...just dont do anything for me...it makes me feel like I am perpetually stuck in a brady bunch set. We like the newer stuff...what can I say? And new stuff here in a decent area will still set you back about a million dollars, maybe a touch less.

I am sorry...I feel that what I am looking for...is not here...there seems to be NO middle ground. It is either suck it up and be in a modest home for 780,000, and store your xmas stuff and pieces of furniture in a plastic rubbermaid storage cabinet outside your house...and hope that if you get a good dousing of rain, like this week, that the moisture doesnt ruin it. And yes we even have a very small storage space we rent that has our bigger stuff ( a few barstools and lamps)...and I have purged more stuff out of this house in 2 yrs than I have done in all the times we have moved. so...probably more information that you'd like...but I am frustrated and not happy here.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:24 AM

106 posts, read 358,457 times
Quote:
Another thing...ok...I know it sounds petty...and I realize that much of this area was developed in the late 60's to the late 70's...and there not anything I find remotely desirable about that era from a building standpoint. California quaint areas...just dont do anything for me...it makes me feel like I am perpetually stuck in a brady bunch set. We like the newer stuff...what can I say?
I totally agree. We've talked about moving to CA because we spend alot of time there but I always say that same exact thing. I just really like the newness of where I live... everything nice and pretty... some would say it lacks character but what can I say, I prefer the newness!

Old 01-25-2008, 10:36 AM

6,066 posts, read 7,784,062 times
Quote:
...I am sorry...I feel that what I am looking for...is not here...there seems to be NO middle ground. It is either suck it up and be in a modest home for 780,000, and store your xmas stuff and pieces of furniture in a plastic rubbermaid storage cabinet outside your house...
Runnergrl, I know the feeling. In Ca we had a 2500 sf house on an acre. We loved the area and didn't feel crowded, but really wanted a larger home, so we moved to Gilbert.

Here you can have a 3400 sf home on the lake for the ballpark price of 780k. Off the lake and in some other really good areas you acn have a 4500 sf home for the same money. And the taxes are a lot lower, unless you're under prop 13.

It sounds like you really want to and need to make the change. We're certainly happy we did.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:20 AM

313 posts, read 709,134 times
Thank you all for your understanding...even though we cant really do anything at this point(maybe not until late spring or so)...it helps to have an outlet and folks who totally understand where I am coming from.

Yes, Gilbert is a wonderful suburban town with great presence. I love the cowboy and agriculture history...and I love the newer, fresher development, and I always felt the city of Gilbert has a great sense of pride about this and goes out of its way to maintain it...even the older neighborhoods still look nice...and that can be a challenge when you live in phx...I was always so proud to be living in Gilbert...it really grew on me like no other place we have lived. (sigh)

I know it will be hard on my husband. My mind has been turning this prospect around for almost 2 yrs (while intermittingly giving CA a chance)and I feel that it can work. I just have to hope that all the doors will be open when we take that chance.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:19 PM

42,851 posts, read 51,540,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Here you can have a 3400 sf home on the lake for the ballpark price of 780k.
No disrespect intended and it's your money and lifestyle and none of my business... but just out of curiosity... Why would two people need 3400 sq.ft.?! I assume you hire help. I certainly wouldn't wanna clean such house. Or perhaps other people live with you?

Old 01-25-2008, 02:15 PM

1,254 posts, read 3,342,086 times
Wink LA-Phoenix commute

you're prolly better off commuting via AMTRAK at the cost it'll cost you for GAS ...you know how much you'll be paying the gas pump at that rate?
you'll be filling up every other day and I hear gas prices are ridiculous out there?

- Just a thought

look into Busses like greyhound and amtrak service.
might come in handy for commuting

-jeff
Winchester, MA

Old 01-25-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
No disrespect intended and it's your money and lifestyle and none of my business... but just out of curiosity... Why would two people need 3400 sq.ft.?! I assume you hire help. I certainly wouldn't wanna clean such house. Or perhaps other people live with you?
Our house is 3450sf with an oversize 3 car garage, and we could use more room! I'd love to have a 5000 sq ft home.

Last year I was helping to sell one of the D'back ball players home. It was about 6500 sf, and that would have been perfect for me. I couldn't afford it, and I didn't care for the location, but I loved the house.

My wife has never had a house cleaner. She is so meticuous that she would have to clean the house before the house cleaner so she wouldn't think my wife is a slob; and clean it afterwards because the house cleaner wouldn't have done a satisfactory job

And she does the windows that she can reach. I do the rest.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:24 PM

42,851 posts, read 51,540,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Our house is 3450sf with an oversize 3 car garage, and we could use more room! I'd love to have a 5000 sq ft home.

Last year I was helping to sell one of the D'back ball players home. It was about 6500 sf, and that would have been perfect for me. I couldn't afford it, and I didn't care for the location, but I loved the house.

My wife has never had a house cleaner. She is so meticuous that she would have to clean the house before the house cleaner so she wouldn't think my wife is a slob; and clean it afterwards because the house cleaner wouldn't have done a satisfactory job

And she does the windows that she can reach. I do the rest.
Wow! I still can't imagine what you need all this space for , but you've certainly lucked out with your wife!

Old 01-25-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Wow! I still can't imagine what you need all this space for , but you've certainly lucked out with your wife!
My wife is the best decision I ever made in my life. I've made a lot of mistaked, but that wasn't one of them.

We have 4 br. One is my office, one is our library with a long time collection of books. From that room my wife can sit and look out over the great room and see the lake.

Our son is in our guest bed room for awhile.

The great room/kitchen is pretty large, and the master bedroom is pretty large with a large bath area and large closet. It is really more than we need, but when we have clients over to entertain, the large great room/kitchen really helps.

We don't do a lot of entertaining; usually just family and sometimes a few friends and some client appreciation nights.

We raised 4 kids in a 2400 sf home and lived there for 30 years. We fell in love with this house, although we could have been very happy with a smaller house.

But consider that in my first 10 years, we lived in a shotgun house with just a living room, walk through the bed room into the kitchen. My mother and father slept in one bed and my brother and I slept in the other bed. We eventually moved into a 2 bed room house. I had two brothers then and the three of us slept in one room. So it feels good in my old age to have some room. Even though we don't really need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area