U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-23-2008, 09:29 PM

13 posts, read 33,951 times
Default Estrella

Could someone provide some color on Estrella Mountain Ranch? Considering it as a winter/retirement home. We're interested in the overall quality of the neighborhood as well as the nearby amenities. Restaurants. Theatres. Shopping. How is the drive out from the airport?

Last edited by Jackson41; 01-23-2008 at 10:33 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 02:42 PM

Default Estrella Mountain Ranch

Any residents from Estrella or Goodyear that can comment....

Old 02-23-2008, 06:31 PM

8,156 posts, read 8,892,358 times
Estrella Mountain Ranch is tucked in a little bit - kind of secluded - a very small # of local shops up on the community, but you'll probably have to make the 10 - 15 minute drive back up near the highway

I live off Estrella/Pebble Creek and the I-10 ........... on off peak times it takes about 30 minutes to get to sky harbor and it's a very easy drive - you would have to tack on another 10 minutes or so to get up the mountain

this time next year they'll have the spring training comlex open just off of Estrella & Yuma, which should also incorporate some restaurants / retail

The best close shopping mall will be up in arrowhead - that would be around 40 minutes from EMR (once again factoring in the extra time to get up into the community) - in 2010 westcor is supposed to open the Estrella Falls regional mall at Bullard & McDowell which would be pretty close .......... currently power centers are going up and you can find a wide variety of your normal shops on either Dysart, Litchfield or Estrella between Van Buren & McDowell

Wide variety of banks, grocery stores, car washes, fast food restaurants, chain restaurants as well as some pretty good local places - quite a bit of golf (estrella mountain regional park has a muni course attached to it and EMR has their own course as well)

i'd definitely check it out - it's a nice little community, often times they'll have symphonic concerts hosted up there, a farmers market and other community events ....... some just don't like having to drive that little bit of extra time to get to the bulk of services

Old 02-27-2008, 12:12 AM

14 posts, read 26,607 times
Default Estrella

Nice out there , expensive nd rising HOA fees, great neighborhood, lots of proffessionals, alot of Doctors live there,(I work with Dr.s) Nice but pricey , now may be a good time to buy.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:16 AM

15,858 posts, read 18,616,037 times
I've lived in Estrella for about 10 years. I think Finger Lakers comments are pretty much accurate. The appeal of Estrella and the frustration of it are the same - isolation. You feel like you are out of the rat race as soon as you cross the Gila into Estrella. To me that is priceless and one of the things that has helped me keep my sanity living in this monstrous city. Seeing a beautiful sunset over the lake against the palms and the mountains is a frequent, relaxing experience.

I would add that some retail is finally on the way. Groundbreaking is in April on a 180000 sf shopping area in Estrella that will include a Basha's supermarket and a hardware store. Food and hardware are all that is needed for a happy life, but there will also be some restaurants, professional services etc. I saw that plans have been announced for still more commercial just up the road from there. There is a bundle of commercial planned for Cotton Lane as well including a Target store. Cotton Lane has been extended into Estrella and when open and when the commercial goes in along Cotton Lane it will be about a 5-10 minute drive away.

Longer term, if you look at the city boundaries of Goodyear you will notice that they extend only a few miles north but many miles south of I-10 all the way to Maricopa. Eventually there will be an extension of the Loop 303 and possibly other freeways into the southern area. The development of the city and the malls, roads, homes etc will eventually be south of Estrella putting Estrella right in the middle of the mix. Could take a long time though, especially with the tanking of the US economy.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 02-27-2008 at 09:45 AM..

Old 02-27-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curesmile View Post
Nice out there , expensive nd rising HOA fees, great neighborhood, lots of proffessionals, alot of Doctors live there,(I work with Dr.s) Nice but pricey , now may be a good time to buy.
HOA is around 70 a month. But you get a lot of amenities for that too, and the HOA is professionally run instead of a group of neighborhood vigilantes like some areas are. There's some rich folks to be sure. I read that median household income in Estrella is around 90K a year. But not everyone is professional or wealthy. Estrella did not catch on until it was taken over by Newland Communities (locally known for Ahwatukee). Before that there were several moderately priced subdivisions built, but after that time it all went high end. Most stuff here is now 300K plus at the low end with 400+ being more typical. Many homes go for much more than that even. However, there are a number of homes in the mid-high 200s in the resale market judging from the ads I've seen.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:41 AM

651 posts, read 1,269,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
HOA is around 70 a month. But you get a lot of amenities for that too, and the HOA is professionally run instead of a group of neighborhood vigilantes like some areas are. There's some rich folks to be sure. I read that median household income in Estrella is around 90K a year. But not everyone is professional or wealthy. Estrella did not catch on until it was taken over by Newland Communities (locally known for Ahwatukee). Before that there were several moderately priced subdivisions built, but after that time it all went high end. Most stuff here is now 300K plus at the low end with 400+ being more typical. Many homes go for much more than that even. However, there are a number of homes in the mid-high 200s in the resale market judging from the ads I've seen.
$70 a month seems quite reasonable for everything you get. Ours went up to about $50/month a we just have parks, but no pool or lake. Seems like a great deal for the beauty and amenities of Estrella.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
$70 a month seems quite reasonable for everything you get. Ours went up to about $50/month a we just have parks, but no pool or lake. Seems like a great deal for the beauty and amenities of Estrella.
It was a better deal when it was 50. . Newland controls the price because they own the most lots. They raised it up quite a bit over the past couple years, but not as much this year. They apparently try to keep in line with other places with the same features.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:02 PM

20 posts, read 52,414 times
Hi all! I just moved in a few months ago from Buckeye, in Sundance where I lived for 3 years. I liked it so much I just bought another house in The Fairways division.

For me is absolutely no comparison to living in the mix of your typical sprawl neighborhood. As Ponderosa says though, either you'll love it or hate it.

I feel to be up here out of the madness and have to drive when I want something, is way better than ease of shopping and have to drive away on the weekends to "get out of Dodge", so to speak.

But to each their own.........good luck to anyone looking into it here but PLEASE do your own research as some man's trash is another man's treasure..........

Old 02-27-2008, 08:50 PM

How is the safety of the neighborhood? Would it be a safe environment for a second retirement home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area