Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 01:30 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times

Advertisements

We've seen the signs on every street corner asking us to vote yes on Prop 104.

Information about this proposition.. MovePHX - It basically increases sales taxes to generate $31.7 Billion to supposedly "improve" transportation in Phoenix.

Information from those (including myself) who oppose it..
Help us fight the Prop 104 tax increase in Phoenix! | AFP-AZ
Let's Fight Prop 104 And Light Rail
Taken for a Ride

I have nothing against improving transportation in Phoenix and make it easier to get from point a to point b without having to deal with congestion, but with this proposition, which focuses mainly on expanding the light rail, we should NOT have to pay for something most of us DO NOT USE. If they want to expand light rail, they need to find another source of revenue to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 01:58 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,997,265 times
Prop 104? I'm all for it. Show me a great city, and I'll show you a great transportation system. The initial light rail line has been a resounding success.

Your argument is common, and in response I say - I pay taxes for the roads you drive on. I do not use those, either. Just curious, do you live in Phoenix proper?

Old 07-14-2015, 01:59 PM

640 posts, read 956,776 times
Using your logic that you don't use so you shouldn't pay for it, does that also mean if you don't have any kids going to school you shouldn't be paying property taxes for your local school district? Turn all public schools into private, supported only by the families using it? That's the same thing.

So what is your proposal to improve transportation to make it smoother to get from point a to point b? If you are against this prop, then I assume you have a solution to present.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:02 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
All of the above.... And, improving the public transportation will take people off the roads you and others DO use.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:02 PM

445 posts, read 515,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post

Information about this proposition.. MovePHX - It basically increases sales taxes to generate $31.7 Billion to supposedly "improve" transportation in Phoenix.

Taken for a Ride

I have nothing against improving transportation in Phoenix and make it easier to get from point a to point b without having to deal with congestion, but with this proposition, which focuses mainly on expanding the light rail, we should NOT have to pay for something most of us DO NOT USE. If they want to expand light rail, they need to find another source of revenue to pay for it.
Most of us do not use light rail because it is currently extremely limited in the areas it services. I'm not sure expanding to every far reaching suburb is going to get taxpayers the bang for their buck, but improved coverage in the urban core of the valley absolutely makes sense, in particularly if you're targeting areas with already high bus ridership numbers. And with bus service in Phoenix being terrible by almost any big city standard, investment in public transportation infrastructure is sorely needed. It's time for Phoenix to grow up and be a big boy city.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:04 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,335 times
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. After some reading about it I now fully support it and will vote YES.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:10 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,230 times
I don't live in Phoenix, so I don't have any skin in the game. But some of the propaganda linked is misleading.

It states Phoenix will have the highest sales tax in the nation??? An increase will put it at 9% and many valley cities are the same or over. Many larger cities are closer to 10%

The argument that it does not serve many riders is a "chicken or the egg" situation. Many don't use it because it does not serve them. Will ridership increase as new lines are built? In my opinion, yes.

I would probably vote yes if I lived in Phoenix, they seem to have a spending plan in place (remember that 1% food tax a few years back!)

What they need is a better way to integrate with the traffic light system so that the light rail isn't stopping at red lights, this takes some of the advantage away.

I saw quite a bit of economic development along the rail lines and I think overall it was good for a city.

Remember we are not planning for "right now" we are planning for the future.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:15 PM

837 posts, read 2,333,889 times
I'm loving the replies to OP's points!

Some Arizonian takers are so against paying for anything that will not immediately benefit them, that it becomes comical.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:18 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
The argument that it does not serve many riders is a "chicken or the egg" situation. Many don't use it because it does not serve them. Will ridership increase as new lines are built? In my opinion, yes.
This is exactly the case with me. I currently live in South Phoenix and have zero use for the light rail. I would have to drive to get to it. However, there has been talk about a possible route down Central Ave which would be a short walk/bike ride for me. I would absolutely utilize it to get to downtown and beyond.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:28 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post

Taken for a Ride

The opponents have "focused" mainly on light rail. The truth is that only $6.7 billion of the $31.5 billion goes for expanding "light rail and high capacity transit" which includes Bus Rapid Transit (BRT). That's only about 21% of the total. The rest goes for buses, street improvements, bike lanes, etc.

The cost of what opponents are calling a "massive tax increase" amounts to 30 cents on a $100 purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area