Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 05:55 PM

498 posts, read 541,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. It's because home builders are CHEAP and they don't install parkways (the area between the street and the sidewalk.) Here they save money by making the sidewalk and the curb fused.

Saying we can't grow shade trees is just ignorant. Have you ever seen a neighborhood street with a canopy of beautifful trees? it's amazing. Trees that would work here are Live Oaks, sycamore, Silk Oaks (Grevillias), eucalyptus, taller acacias, ash, and on and on.

If you're all fine with walking down the street getting scorched with no shade, then have at it.
Go soak your head.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:29 PM

39,002 posts, read 51,001,044 times
Many of the new developments in Estrella have trees between the sidewalks and streets. I haven't seen a sidewalk with a roll curb in quite some time I suspect many newer developments in other areas do as well as it is a trend now. The downside is that they do not take from the available lot space but from the roads and you get very narrow streets which make parking, and backing into your drive with a trailer etc difficult.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:09 PM

6,402 posts, read 8,941,541 times
Don't like it? Don't buy a home in Phoenix. Problem solved.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:24 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,579,575 times
Um, OP? The pollen is bad enough in PHX as it is now. More trees will just make it worse.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:31 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,435,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Um, OP? The pollen is bad enough in PHX as it is now. More trees will just make it worse.
How about planting some of those old school aluminum xmas trees? No watering, no pollen, lots of sparkly reflection from the sun to take care of pigeon issues, etc. Make them big enough and they should throw some shade.

Please.....have a good vehicle window tint and sunglasses on.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:07 PM

44,569 posts, read 61,347,806 times
Tree requirements are regulated by city planning/zoning agencies not the developers.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:08 PM

2,769 posts, read 5,698,688 times
OP, the area you are talking about is more commonly referred to as a boulevard strip. I've had properties in 3 different HOAs in the west valley and parts of all of them had blvd strips with and without trees.

While builders do try to squeeze the most out of every plot, sometimes planting trees everywhere and getting water to them (not to mention the cost of the water, trimming, fertilizing, etc... payed by HOA) is sometimes not feasible.

I haven't had too much of a problem walking in my hood year round.

So the problem you describe isn't everywhere.

If you don't like your area you could always get involved and come up with some ideas with your neighbors.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:02 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,720,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Tree requirements are regulated by city planning/zoning agencies not the developers.
Only on public property, although a city may ban certain trees such as olive or mulberry. Common areas within a development are the business of the developer. Deed restrictions as to what you must do or cannot do on your own property come from the developer and are ultimately enforced by HOAs.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:11 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,720,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
OP, the area you are talking about is more commonly referred to as a boulevard strip. I've had properties in 3 different HOAs in the west valley and parts of all of them had blvd strips with and without trees.
I have never heard them called either parkways or boulevard strips. Have never had a name for them other than "the part between the sidewalk and the street". I do know of a person that calls them "parking lawns" however. Whatever they are, we have them in the historic neighborhoods. We have a Meyer Lemon tree and a Navel Orange tree growing in ours. Many homes on our street have Sour Orange trees there.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:21 AM

9,682 posts, read 11,073,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
[b].

Have you ever seen a neighborhood street with a canopy of beautifful trees? it's amazing.
Yep! You just described several neighborhoods. My hood is lined with trees. Guess what... I specifically bought in an area where they have tree lined streets because I enjoy the eye candy.

It sounds like you are angry. Maybe some builders are as you say, "cheap". Solution: don't buy in a "cheap" area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area