Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 11:58 AM

755 posts, read 1,118,790 times

Advertisements

FWIW, I live in a little city in Montana most of the time when we're not in "the valley". Here in MT we have homeless people begging outside the library and panhandlers on EVERY corner. That's a life thing, not a PHX thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 12:06 PM

755 posts, read 1,118,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I'll add one more to this list.

People who live in Surprise, the Far East Valley, or the far North Valley and so on. Then they complain about how their us no urban environment, there are only chain restaurants exist, etc.. etc...

If you can't find a fun/hip urban environment or lots of local places to eat/shop, it's your own damn fault. We moved to Tempe specifically because this stuff was important to us and other than when an out of town guest wants to eat at a chain of some sort, we never have a problem chowing at our favorite local spots. Also pretty exciting with how the Tempe music scene is progressing. Also digging the energy that's happening around Roosevelt Row.
Right. This is about my only "complaint" if you could call it that, but it would make no sense to be unhappy about it. I would not go so far as to call it something I "hate", more just a wish, if everything could be ideal, that each of the cities had their own downtown core, the type with local restaurants and shops. The reality is that this isn't how the outlying cities, now not necessarily outlying but cities in their own rights, evolved. And you really can't retrofit that, though I see some of the cities trying with varying degrees of success. So there it is. I'm not a snob about chain restaurants, like them just fine for what they are, but in a perfect world I'd have a choice in Goodyear between the box shopping districts and a true "downtown" walkable area.

But we chose Goodyear, not Tempe, knowing we were giving that up.

You won't hear me complaining--we picked it, we knew there were trade-offs, and we're happy. We can drive to walkable areas, lol.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:18 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
What's there to hate about the Valley? Great weather, access to every outdoor activity you can imagine, professional sports, great nightlife in Tempe and Scottsdale, fishing and water skiing... it's fantastic!
I could counter by saying the weather isnt that great in summer, you dont have natural access to winter sports in the Valley (ie skiing, snowmobiling, etc), nightlife is only centered in two tiny districts, which is lame for how HUGE the Valley is.

I love it here, but if one isnt into outdoors-y activities, it isnt a super exciting place to live. Lucky for me, Im outdoors to the core, so I love the Valley for the most part.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:58 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,046,764 times
Lack of shade and the monotony of home architecture are two of my biggest complaints. Almost all homes are stucco with tile roofs. Where's the creativity here? How about some metal roofs, brick siding, etc, etc. Also, the flatness of the valley is unattractive to me.

It's called "building on the cheap." Thank you, homebuilders.

I almost forgot my two pet-peeves. The quality of the drinking water here (Phoenix municipal) sucks. I measure the amount of minerals in the water regularily, and they're usually at 800 parts per million. Compare that to Seattle with about 80 parts per million. That's why most people don't drink it (although it's not unhealthy necessarily- it just tastes terrible)
t
Also, the soil here sucks if you like to garden. Rocks, boulders, gravel, caliche, alkalinity and no organic matter

Old 07-21-2015, 01:05 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
The homebuilders were all told, "If you build it, they will come." They all came.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:26 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,204 times
I have seen a few metal roofs springing up lately, which is interesting. You see them all over much of the country but they haven't made much of a splash here yet. I think they look better on smaller properties...a huge house with a metal roof I think might look too imposing or industrial. What I don't know is how they perform in hailstorms...what I've been able to find online warns that the metal can get dimpled just like a car left out in the rain, but maybe they make hail-rated metal roofing.

At least we don't see much aluminum siding here in the Valley.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:47 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,046,764 times
Good points, ScottsdaleMark. My brother has a beautiful home in the Colorado mountains with a green metal roof. The roof withstands near hurricane force winds every winter without any apparent problem.

It seems to me that metal roofs would be less of a "heat sink" in this hot climate than the concrete tile roofs they put up now. After all, the metal roofs have much less MASS to retain heat than concrete does. And, there would be considerable rigid insulation underneath the metal, also.

I've seen some modernistic homes built in San Diego where the builder used galvanized corrugated metal siding. Modern, interesting look and almost zero maintenance. But, the house sat on the market a while, so I don't know if the public was ready for it. I thought the house looked good.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:01 PM

525 posts, read 539,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Lots of renters that don't give a crap about the neighborhood they live in and make terrible neighbors.
This.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:02 PM

525 posts, read 539,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
people kept moving here after I moved here
And this.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:20 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,204 times
Thank you Pbenjamin and exit2lef, I wasn't sure how many here had already read the Rogue website. I only myself became aware of it relatively recently.

I do know what you mean about being negatively nostalgic. I just kind of ignore that aspect of it because I have had a hard time finding places online that really talk about Phoenix and Arizona history and so forth. That's one reason I have read these forums off and on for years and finally started posting here. It's just nice to talk with other people about Phoenix and learn new things.

I do plan to buy his Phoenix book as I have to assume for a broad-based book, it won't be too political and will be well-written and a lot of fun to read.

I have some overdue library books so if anyone has any reading recommendations for Phoenix/valley history let me know. Haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area