Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:28 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,717,389 times

Advertisements

This has been a Dolly Parton sized bust of a nonsoon season. In my 4 summers here, this is easily the worst. I do not complain about the summer heat as I knew what I signed up for with that. What I did not sign up for is having to drive to Tucson, Superior and Payson just to feel raindrops this month. All this El Nino predictions of an active monsoon season has not materialized. Same story. Precip forms on the nearby higher altitudes and as it descends towards Phoenix it dries out combining with the added heat from the concrete jungle here resulting in nothing. Once night sets in and the air cools, the storms dissipate. It is the same old story. Impressive thunderheads north,east and south and you know we are in the donut hole of sunshine without a chance of variety in what is my second favorite time of year besides winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 05:06 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
It's been dismal, but blaming the heat island is overblown. There simply has not been a good sustained moisture flow so far this year. It takes all the right ingredients to get storms in the Phoenix area and that has not happened this year. We have been getting persistent troughs off the California coast that shunt the moisture east just as it looks to get going. These unseasonal and strong coastal lows could well be a harbinger of a humdinger of an El Nino event. Even with the moisture, there has been no "trigger" to fire the storms. Too many clouds, too cool, no lift in the atmosphere. Anyhow, it is not even August yet. We have several weeks to go. Keep your chin up. It could happen still.

As for me, I am not complaining too loudly as we had well over an inch at casa mia last week in the hurricane event. For my part of the desert that is well above normal for July.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:09 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Nonsoon, maybe next year.

The temps have actually been pretty nice this summer for me. So it's a trade off. I do feel for my weather guy though, he got all excited at the beginning of the season with his storm trackers out and old flood footage.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:18 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
The temps have been very tolerable but yeah this monsoon has sucked big time. Kind of expected it after our mild spring and late start to the summer. We shall see what this El Nino brings us in the winter. New Mexico and California are getting hammered this monsoon season.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:29 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
We have at least 8-10 more long weeks of monsoon season. It could get better later on, only time will tell. But as for now? Yeah, its been a weak season, very disappointing. I was certain we would get hit last night judging from the billowing, monstrous clouds up north, but nope! Not a drop.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:56 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
This has been a Dolly Parton sized bust of a nonsoon season. .
Nice analogy

I don't think we have had any measurable rain in Gilbert for July. We got some in June, but that's it. Wind and dust got my hopes up several nights.

FWIW went for a walk outside last night, the cool breeze was pretty nice. It was actually comfortable. Several nights this month have been that way, so that's a nice change. I recall always being a hermit in July.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:07 AM

48 posts, read 100,734 times
Building a pool... thankful for the dry spell

Old 07-30-2015, 10:09 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
It is strange I live near the southern edge of the metro less than 1/2 mile from wide open desert (thank you Reservation) and it hasn't rained more than enough to spit at us and make my car dirty.

I've been in an out of Tucson a lot and they are getting pummeled in certain areas, but they also don't pave over everything the way we have.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:15 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
I took this cool picture of the blowing palms and clouds last night. Not a drop of rain, but some wind.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:34 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,482 times
Not to impressive a monsoon so far at all. This was the second time this week I walked to my truck this morning and noticed new water spots on my windshield so apparently, we got some sprinkles some time over night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area