Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 03:34 PM

488 posts, read 852,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
There's a Rosati's near my house in NW Tucson and I ordered pizza for my family from there once when we first moved to AZ. I didn't specify a kind of crust (turns out they make many kinds) but apparently their default is thin crust. It was roundly booed by my family (who prefer New York-style medium crust). Someone said the Rosati's crust tasted like saltine crackers, so since then Rosati's has been referred to in my house as "The Cracker Factory ... don't get pizza there!"
Ugh - that sounds like St. Louis pizza. The only difference is St. Louis pizza has it's own special "cheese" too (which I personally think tastes like chemicals, but St. Louisans love the heck out of that junk). When I moved from Canada to St. Louis, my father (who came to the area 6 months before the rest of us did) took us for one of these pizzas for our first meal. He knew already, we didn't, and he thought it was HILARIOUS to see our reaction to the cracker crust with weird cheese. I lived there 20 years, never took a liking to it.

I do love me some Chicago Deep Dish though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 03:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,904,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
yep, exactly, thats why you only eat 1 or 2 pieces of it at a sitting..
What I like about Lou's is everything is fresh, no frozen or "packaged" stuff in it, and you can taste the difference when all the ingredients are fresh!
I like thinner crust pizza at times too; we rotate from about 5 or 6 places here in Chicagoland, but personally I like the thicker better than the thin, but we have thin pizza as well regularly.

"Variety is the spice of life"
Assuming that this will be the case in Arizona but not for certain. I will most likely give it a try given the reputation and that I will eat (most) anything once.
I hope you're right and it stays true to the original stores. As an aside, what else to they serve and if it's more than just pizza how good is it?
I LOVE good, true Italian food, sauce that's simmered all day,made with the correct tomatoes,cheeses,spices and heart...

Old 08-11-2015, 04:42 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,718,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Assuming that this will be the case in Arizona but not for certain. I will most likely give it a try given the reputation and that I will eat (most) anything once.
I hope you're right and it stays true to the original stores. As an aside, what else to they serve and if it's more than just pizza how good is it?
I LOVE good, true Italian food, sauce that's simmered all day,made with the correct tomatoes,cheeses,spices and heart...
Cheese in sauce? ew..

Old 08-11-2015, 07:58 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,892,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I've had a few of their appetizers, but honestly, I only think of them for pizza, for some reason..they do have a full menu though.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:28 PM

156 posts, read 418,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Cheese in sauce? ew..
Parmesan or Romano I'm thinking.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,904,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Cheese in sauce? ew..
No that's not what I meant...

Old 08-30-2015, 10:20 PM

50 posts, read 79,078 times
I have now died and gone to heaven. I'm from Chicago and have always said the one thing still lacking in Phoenix is pizza. Not anymore!

Old 08-30-2015, 11:34 PM

3,184 posts, read 3,865,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
ok, let a REAL Chicagoan straighten this out for you..

Lou Malnatis is NOT STUFFED pizza; REAL Stuffed pizza actually has a "bread type" layer on top, which may or may not have sauce and cheese on top of it too, but Lou Malnatis is DEEP DISH PAN PIZZA..

Thanks, I feel better now too..reminds me to have Lou's this Friday!
Yep, agreed, (I was born and raised in Chicago).

Old 08-31-2015, 07:16 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,582,880 times
I get the feeling that people from Chicago have major debates about pizza, Cubs & White Sox!

Old 08-31-2015, 11:28 AM

7,816 posts, read 4,534,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
I get the feeling that people from Chicago have major debates about pizza, Cubs & White Sox!
It doesn't stop there. Big Al's vs. Mr. Beef, Gibson's vs. Smith and Wollensky, Northside v Southside, Siskal v Ebert... don't even get started with politics or ethnicity.

Actually to me it's all very healthy. At least folks are engaged, aware and talking it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area