U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-25-2008, 07:30 AM

110 posts, read 238,668 times
Default Where to live?

My company is sending me out to Scottsdale for nine months come mid-March. My question (and I recognize that this question has probably been gone over ad infinitem) is where would one recommend that a single (and hsocially active) professional in their early 30's live? Scottsdale, Phoenix, Mesa.........elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 08:59 AM

7 posts, read 15,993 times
Default Scottsdale area

Hello,

If you are going to be working in Scottsdale and socially active, I would recommend being as close to (if not in) Scottsdale as possible. Mesa is pretty much a bedroom community of families and you don't want to be commuting up the 101 freeway in the morning.

Downtown Scottsdale has a lot of nightclubs and restaurants that are very nice...particularly Kierland, very upscale.

Your housing options abound, you can probably get a short term furnished rental very reasonably, a lot of snowbirds clear out during spring and summer.

If you have any specific questions, let me know, I'd be glad to help.

Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by sablebaby; 01-25-2008 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: realtors cannot advertise

Old 01-26-2008, 07:36 PM

464 posts, read 544,914 times
You might want to consider the northern part of Glendale, or even Deer Valley if you wouldn't mind the commute. But as joepastori wrote, Scottsdale is a great place. We moved from Glendale about a year ago, and I miss it...

Old 01-26-2008, 10:52 PM

1,254 posts, read 3,304,000 times
Default Look into Tempe, Mesa, Scottsdale, Chandler,

Well how far of a commute would you want to work?
how far away would you be willing to live from work? Do you like more of a city atmosphere, a suburban feel or a country/desert location (outdoor type feel?)
away from the city?

I would say probably Scottsdale itself, Tempe or Mesa....

-or Gilbert perhaps Chandler as well.

But thats if you want to live closer to work.

---jeff
Winchester, MA

Old 01-26-2008, 10:55 PM

1,254 posts, read 3,304,000 times
Smile other options

You might also look into peoria, Sun City, Surprise if you dont mind living 5-10 miles out of the city ....Paradise Valley,

or even Sun Lakes if you dont mind more of a commute via the 101 ...or side roads.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:48 AM

3,180 posts, read 5,508,715 times
Maybe Surprise or Peoria. You cannot live in the Sun Cities because you are too young.

Peoria has a nice "happening area" at Arrowhead. A cheesecake factory, some Cantina's/bars by the Movie theater. A PF Changs...etc. A Salty Senorita just opened by the Stadium and it is pretty cool. There is also a Mcduffy's Sports Bar.

For Happy Hour In Surprise you have Brookside Bar and grill, a TGI Fridays, El Paso BBQ, Buffalo Wild Wings , and a new place called Fuzzy's. You also have your standards like Chilli's and Apple Bees. Surprise is growing very fast and new developments are popping up everywhere you look.

Westgate (UOP Stadium) is also a good option for Surprise and Peoria residents. The Yardhouse and a Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville are the highlights.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:18 AM

268 posts, read 791,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Peoria has a nice "happening area" at Arrowhead. A cheesecake factory, some Cantina's/bars by the Movie theater. A PF Changs...etc. A Salty Senorita just opened by the Stadium and it is pretty cool. There is also a Mcduffy's Sports Bar.

For Happy Hour In Surprise you have Brookside Bar and grill, a TGI Fridays, El Paso BBQ, Buffalo Wild Wings , and a new place called Fuzzy's. You also have your standards like Chilli's and Apple Bees. Surprise is growing very fast and new developments are popping up everywhere you look.

Westgate (UOP Stadium) is also a good option for Surprise and Peoria residents. The Yardhouse and a Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville are the highlights.

Nightlife in the west valley is completely different from nightlife in the east valley. They are very different in both atmosphere and clientele. The west does not really have clubs, but instead more bars and a small town feel when it comes to nightlife. The east is where the clubs are and has some small attempts of more of an urban or city feel when it comes to nightlife. If you are single and very socially active, I would recommend the east valley (Scottsdale or Tempe and possibly Chandler or Ahwatukee). By far, there is much much more to do on the east side of town. Otherwise, you might be wondering where all the people are after 11:00 pm on a Friday or Saturday night.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:38 AM

3,180 posts, read 5,508,715 times
Your right about Scottsdale and Tempe having an Urban feel to it. The Urban nightclubs are in these areas.

I would not say that Chandler or Ahwatukee have an urban feel or a major nightlife.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:09 PM

24 posts, read 73,383 times
joepastori said it all. commuting up the 101 freeway is not fun.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:07 PM

13 posts, read 29,974 times
If you are working in Scottsdale and the company will pay for your expenses. Live there! Someone suggested Sun City? Um.. that is retired folks.. they HAVE to be yanking your chain! Scottsdale can definately be social, but expensive! Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area