Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 12:05 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Are we missing that they changed the flight path? We had an already established and workable one over warehouses and the Salt River that didn't disturb people but now to save money for the airlines (including one that abandoned then screwed us) they shortened the route to fly right over people's homes. Normally I hate the NIMBYs but this one I agree with.
What airline is that?

Old 12-22-2015, 11:03 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losadair View Post
Thanks to those who posted helpful information about the flight path change and the areas affected.

It's depressing to see how often this type of question devolves into name-calling and nasty online behavior, though. Some comments were a little painful to read.

As I mentioned in my original post, I used to live in a neighborhood (different city) affected by a flight path similar to the one now over historic neighborhoods in Phoenix. It was definitely not a question of whining about regular urban noise.... I've lived in cities my whole life. Y'all who don't live in an affected neighborhood probably do not understand the experience.

It's not just hearing jets regularly when you're outdoors walking around. It's 3-5 jets roaring by every five minutes for hours in a row, so close you can read the writing on the bottom. It's a roaring sound, it's your house vibrating, it's things rattling on shelves, it's being unable to talk on the phone or watch TV even with the windows closed....let alone sitting outside by the pool. Neighbors in my previous city did get the noise insulation (after years, after lawsuits, after waiting lists) - it helps, but being stuck indoors isn't fun, and your property values still take a huge hit.

Personally, I never did get used to it. It's a shame that the FAA chose to do this to Phoenix without any kind of transparency or notification.

I just saw a beautiful house listed a little past the south end of Encanto Park, and regretfully I'm going to take a pass.

well if this makes you feel any better the FAA is doing this clear across America. here in NY we have had the change since june 2012. never had air traffic in my neighborhood, never. then june 2012 came and now planes fly at low altitudes every 30 seconds like clcokwork, to an airport that is 10 miles away, clear across the land.

LaGuardia Airport - AirportMonitor - by Megadata - powered by PASSUR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 01:46 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
I used to live near Midway airport in southwest side of Chicago. The roar of the jet engines was annoying, so I can understand the OP's dismay over the Sky Harbor noise.

Wasn't there discussion years ago of relocating Phoenix's airport further out? Since they've invested in Sky Harbor so much recently, this is unlikely.

One solution for the affected neighborhoods of Sky Harbor would be for the airlines/airport to compensate for the noise by replacing homes' existing windows with better, sound deadening ones (triple pane blocks noise A LOT.)

Old 12-22-2015, 02:03 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I used to live near Midway airport in southwest side of Chicago. The roar of the jet engines was annoying, so I can understand the OP's dismay over the Sky Harbor noise.

Wasn't there discussion years ago of relocating Phoenix's airport further out? Since they've invested in Sky Harbor so much recently, this is unlikely.

One solution for the affected neighborhoods of Sky Harbor would be for the airlines/airport to compensate for the noise by replacing homes' existing windows with better, sound deadening ones (triple pane blocks noise A LOT.)
There already was a flight path, it was moved for save fuel for the jetliners. It would probably be cheaper to just revert back to flying over the Salt River bed than to spend the costs associated with modifying historic neighborhoods.

This issue seems like it died off, some people seem to have the mentality that its NIMBY activists that are trying to insulate themselves from the urban environment, but that doesn't seem fair when it was assumed that jetliners would fly over warehouses and open desert rather than right on top of their houses.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:17 PM

284 posts, read 696,020 times
I used to live by ohare in Park Ridge il the city was going through the same thing with the new flight paths.. It was so bad i couldnt hear friends talking while we were outside.
It was annoying but i got used to it.... but i can see why people are annoyed with it..
Anyone else that live near an airport have airplane dreams?????

Old 12-22-2015, 07:34 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
There already was a flight path, it was moved for save fuel for the jetliners. It would probably be cheaper to just revert back to flying over the Salt River bed than to spend the costs associated with modifying historic neighborhoods.

This issue seems like it died off, some people seem to have the mentality that its NIMBY activists that are trying to insulate themselves from the urban environment, but that doesn't seem fair when it was assumed that jetliners would fly over warehouses and open desert rather than right on top of their houses.
The issue has not died off. There are multiple lawsuits pending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area