Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East valley or West Valley
East Valley 63 64.95%
West Valley 14 14.43%
forget the suburbs, Phoenix proper all the way 20 20.62%
Tie 0 0%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 11:56 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,477,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I'd agree with that. Ever watch the 10 o'clock news? Murders, rapes, robberies mostly on the west side.
Certain parts of the west side. How many of those crimes occur in Litchfield Park, Goodyear, Arrowhead area, Sun City, Sun City West, or Sun City Grand?

I've been hearing about shootings and other crimes taking place in Mesa.

Guess which suburb was ranked among the most dangerous in the nation last year. It was Tempe, another east valley city.

Crime happens everywhere but it seems you are another person who slams the entire west valley because of a few bad spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 05:08 AM

9,673 posts, read 11,028,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Certain parts of the west side. How many of those crimes occur in Litchfield Park, Goodyear, Arrowhead area, Sun City, Sun City West, or Sun City Grand?

I've been hearing about shootings and other crimes taking place in Mesa.

Guess which suburb was ranked among the most dangerous in the nation last year. It was Tempe, another east valley city.

Crime happens everywhere but it seems you are another person who slams the entire west valley because of a few bad spots.
Time out. DougStark has done his homework. He watches the 10 o'clock news. If you haven't noticed, he said it twice in this thread even AFTER Stevek64 posted the actual crime maps proving otherwise. He didn't bother clicking on the link and learn. Nope! Because he "watches the 10 o'clock clock news!". That is all the proof he needs. Damn those objective statistics that are black and white.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:43 AM

837 posts, read 2,324,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Time out. DougStark has done his homework. He watches the 10 o'clock news. If you haven't noticed, he said it twice in this thread even AFTER Stevek64 posted the actual crime maps proving otherwise. He didn't bother clicking on the link and learn. Nope! Because he "watches the 10 o'clock clock news!". That is all the proof he needs. Damn those objective statistics that are black and white.
Unfortunately, there are a LOT of folks who think like DS where feelings trump facts.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:11 AM

9,673 posts, read 11,028,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cadillac_Lawyer View Post
Unfortunately, there are a LOT of folks who think like DS where feelings trump facts.
I re-counted. He said his source was the 10 O'clock a total of THREE times. It's all he needs: now perception becomes reality.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:55 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,416,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I re-counted. He said his source was the 10 O'clock a total of THREE times. It's all he needs: now perception becomes reality.
Ahhhh, I think I know the issue....one must watch the 6 O'clock news as I bet that covers all the crime on the east side that's missing on the 10 O'clock news. Phew, I feel better.....mystery solved!

Old 08-21-2015, 04:22 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,926,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
1. first someone needs a chill pill
2. I do technically, I'm only in LA for college, my whole family lives in scottsdale still and i'm moving back upon graduation
3. It's all in good fun... jesus, every city has a poll like this all in good fun, you are taking this way too seriously.
4. Sorry I didn't go back years to look at different polls that were created prior to my joining.
Jesus is spelled with a capital J as in Jesus Christ Lord of all.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:15 PM

584 posts, read 1,334,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I'd agree with that. Ever watch the 10 o'clock news? Murders, rapes, robberies mostly on the west side.
I actually like it that many people like you on the east side think as such. It makes me feel safer here in Goodyear .

Old 08-21-2015, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,511 times
This east valley vs west valley debate (and in particular scottsdale snobbery) is quite laughable to someone who just moved here after spending nearly 20 years in San Diego. Even in the best parts of the valley, it's still hot as heck and the natural scenery is brown, dry, and ugly. Landscaping only does so much. And from what I gather most of the crime is gang or drug related. You won't get bothered or accosted walking around, running errands, etc like you would in the bad parts of Socal.

It's almost like bickering over who lives in the best part of Hell. Pointless, but amusing to outsiders.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:30 PM

416 posts, read 582,564 times
Disclaimer: I'm a professed East Valley snob, born and bred.

One thing has always been true: you know when you cross Central going westward, or at least the 3rd Av/3rd St corridor. It has not changed, even with the Valley's explosive, expansive growth in my lifetime. My (East Coaster) better half didn't believe it until he was doing homeless teen outreach downtown, and he came home one night and said you know, you were right about that. You can be on the west end, with all the familiar stores at an intersection, pretty much identical to a neighborhood anywhere on the east side, but you always know you're west of Central without seeing the street signs. The west side has always had a skeevy overlay. It's hard to explain. It just is.

I'll profess a huge preference for the East Valley any day of the week. Safer, better, and so forth - not that there aren't places on the west side that aren't nice - but it's also the attitude rather than anything visual. This too is hard to explain - you just have to experience it and know it. Maybe other native kids (like me)/longtime residents can explain it better than I can.

I can address Tempe being a crime center a little bit: Tempe is my hometown, but it isn't the place I grew up in. When I was born, it had roughly 16,000 people and was still mostly farmland - you all are aware of the population today. Now, as far as I'm concerned, Tempe might as well be renamed ASUland or Riverside, because that's all the city council cares about. The neighborhood I grew up in about a mile south of ASU now has a huge problem with B&E, car theft, petty theft, assaults, scam artists, etc. Schools are closing because the northern half of the city no longer attracts families as it did, and not because the schools suck; I fully expect my alma mater to close I the next ten years because you can only bus so many kids in to keep it afloat. The house I grew up in is a rare one that isn't a rental on that street, and from former neighbors I hear that there are a lot of problems with trucks driving through the alleys, scouting who is home and not, things stolen off the patios next to the back doors, and so forth.

ASU really is a big magnet for crime, has been for years, and that can't be denied. ASU is a out of control behemoth, and its expansion has ruined Tempe north of the river, as well as the area along Broadway, with problems trickling down towards the 60. That's a pretty big area that's sliding hard, half of the city in fact (McKellips to the north, 60 to the south, 48th St west and the 101 to the east), and it's sadly turning into rentalsville to help support the ever-growing university population. Yes, there are still some lovely pockets in that large square, but they're getting smaller all the time.

Other problems include Section 8 housing along the 60 - I'd bike/walk that alone all the time as a kid; I wouldn't do it now - and the overall downward trend of demographics bleeding outward along Southern from Mill to McClintock. Once that creep starts, it's hard to stop it.

I have a lot to say about Tempe and how it's run nowadays, but this isn't the thread.

The East Valley has its flaws for sure, but if we ever move back (not happening), we'd return to the east side.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:31 PM

416 posts, read 582,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiddley15 View Post
It's almost like bickering over who lives in the best part of Hell. Pointless, but amusing to outsiders.
Haha!! True. But it's serious business, I tell ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area