Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 11:09 AM

567 posts, read 787,788 times

Advertisements

You've got major problems. You can't drive, and you can't take the 110-degree heat, and you want to be nearby your mother-in-law and uncle in Phoenix. You can't have it all. Either you're going to be nearby and take the heat, or you're going to end up being at least a couple of hours away, and while it won't be 110, it will be around 100 at times. Those are your options.

Flagstaff is three hours' away. It's 7,000 ft. high and in the northern part of the state. It's most definitely not near Phoenix. Yes, it's cool, but if you want to be near your family and can't drive, you can cross that off your list. Show Low's even farther. Prescott? Well, you can get there from some areas of Phoenix within a couple of hours, but you can't drive, so you'd need a way to get down to the Valley (the Phoenix metro area). Morristown? That's near Sun City. It's in the metro area, but anything in the metro area has months of scorching heat.

We're all assuming your family's in the West Valley, but if they are centrally located or in a suburb in the East Valley, that's about another hour of driving.

Per housing, I agree: go for a house rental or townhouse. Apartments will be a problem. What's your budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 01:51 PM

551 posts, read 693,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The greenman333 View Post
We are looking for wooded, cooler, less congested than Phoenix.
Being from Oh. And wife from Boston,we both like seasonal change, but I / we do not like 110 deg..
Walking, fishing, and because i cannot drive anymore, a more urban setting where we could walk to, or public trans. would be good-- internet is a must, as is cell service, and i am seeing alot
Of no coverage areas
Hi, are you in PA currently? PA is completely different than AZ. AZ you either live in the metro areas or the other places are basically in the middle of nowhere. This is the west, we don't have tiny towns nestled in between mountains like in the Northeast. You will either have to travel, driving, to visit family. The closest option to your needs I think is probably Prescott.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 7,096 times
Thanks for the info, I enjoy Portland-- only it has been 35 yr since I was there.
We are looking, and checking before visiting places- it used to be chamber of commerce in cities would gladly mail you info-now they want $20 to send out something

Old 09-30-2015, 07:10 AM

6 posts, read 7,096 times
Waiting for chamber of commerce mailings of info from several cities there- used to be free for info, now all want 16 - 24 dol.
We have friend in Show Low and from their pics that area is sort of what we are looking for, sort of woodsy not desert, yet close enough for day trips to phoen.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 380 times
I maybe moving to Show Low for a new job opportunity and am not seeing much in the way of 1br. apartment rentals available. Am I missing something or is there not much available? Where would you recommend I look. I just want something clean and safe as I will be living alone and am female and don't know a thing about the area.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:53 PM

102 posts, read 111,364 times
It might be out of your budget and desired area but Pinetop is really nice. Cool little artsy town. Woodsy and has some water bodies. It might have some affordable options too.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:15 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The greenman333 View Post
Waiting for chamber of commerce mailings of info from several cities there- used to be free for info, now all want 16 - 24 dol.
We have friend in Show Low and from their pics that area is sort of what we are looking for, sort of woodsy not desert, yet close enough for day trips to phoen.
FYI, you can get a lot of the info the Chambers will be sending you on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area