Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 12:17 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Visiting in general is good, and family is always important and understandable.

I am more interested in the breweries I'd probably see the fam while I am there

Old 08-27-2015, 01:10 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymSleepTravel View Post
I never felt I was lacking by not being married with children, but living in Denver is really starting to exude that feeling. I'm single, still dating, and am 28.
I think this might actually be the crux of your problem, which won't be solved by moving. Once you get into your late 20s, & 30s, the dating pool shrinks for everyone, everywhere. The possible exception being expensive coastal metros like L.A., NY, SF, Boston DC, etc. Of course, those areas are super expensive and you have all the stress that comes from that.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:17 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Lived in both, and I like Colorado, but not so much Denver. Phoenix gets the win.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:37 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
Most people on here will choose PHX over Denver, simply because this is the PHX forum. Ask the same question in the Denver forum, and theyll say PHX is hell on earth. I personally would choose Phoenix simply because I like the desert better than the Rockies, as beautiful as they are. Denver itself is ok, but nothing to write home about.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:37 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,219 times
Both are bland, sprawling, car culture/chain store cities. Denver is more vibrant, but still pales in comparison to any major coastal city. Climate is the only real significant difference between them, with Denver having a less extreme climate overall.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:42 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Both are bland, sprawling, car culture/chain store cities. Denver is more vibrant, but still pales in comparison to any major coastal city. Climate is the only real significant difference between them, with Denver having a less extreme climate overall.
This part I disagree.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:58 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
This part I disagree.
Denver is more unpredictable, and has occasional stretches of brutal weather, but it isn't an extreme climate overall. There are times you can wear shorts in Denver in January.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:25 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,468,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I am more interested in the breweries I'd probably see the fam while I am there
I think you may have the order correct. Some say having a bit of alcohol before visiting certain family members can make such an event a bit more tolerable.

Not that I promote such behavior or anything like that.......

Old 08-27-2015, 10:37 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Phoenix and Denver are entirely different culturally. Denver has a lot more in common with places like Portland, Milwaukee, and Salt Lake City in terms of geography and culture. Denver definitely feels more conservative to me. It's not conservative but relative to Phoenix, socially it feels more conservative (regardless of voting trends; just talking about interacting with people) It has very little diversity and the entire city seems like it is Caucasian. It also has more of an Evangelical Christian presence as well. Phoenix has more of a Las Vegas, Los Angeles feel to it. It's a laid back, sunny, somewhat superficial but more diverse ethnically due to its Hispanic and Asian influence. For me, I could not live in Denver. It just would not work for me. I love year round warm weather including hot weather. I also love it's proximity to Las Vegas, Los Angeles and San Diego so you feel connected to California whereas Denver is completely isolated. Likewise, I know many in Denver who would not think of living in Phoenix. They are just so different and I could understand arguments for both cities. I grew up in Southern California so Phoenix is much more similar to the place I grew up and I am more comfortable with it. Maybe if I grew up in a place like Boston, I would probably like Denver better.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:59 AM

15 posts, read 19,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It has very little diversity and the entire city seems like it is Caucasian. It also has more of an Evangelical Christian presence as well. Phoenix has more of a Las Vegas, Los Angeles feel to it. It's a laid back, sunny, somewhat superficial but more diverse ethnically due to its Hispanic and Asian influence. For me, I could not live in Denver.

Maybe if I grew up in a place like Boston, I would probably like Denver better.
Thanks for all the responses, but this....is exactly what I speak of. Yes, Denver is very..."Wonderbread White", despite the claims of their being diversity in the west of Denver and aurora. Though I have no issue (I actually dated my first Vietnamese guy in Denver!) diversity in Denver seems to come in the form of either Korean or Vietnamese or Mexican (which I almost don't consider diverse because you can find an Asian or Mexican in ANY part of the country. I've gone from Montana to Nashville to Minneapolis to South Florida...they aren't hard to miss by any stretch) or second class citizens. I get tired of people in Denver classifying AAs in a particular status quo. When in DC and Atlanta and even LA, those same people own businesses and drive XJs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area