Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 06:28 PM

226 posts, read 227,450 times

Advertisements

Drove down Thomas and saw some downed power lines and a cop directing traffic on 27th Avenue. Strange that I hardly got any rain near 55th Avenue and Thomas. These storms tend to be extremely localized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 07:31 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
Drove down Thomas and saw some downed power lines and a cop directing traffic on 27th Avenue. Strange that I hardly got any rain near 55th Avenue and Thomas. These storms tend to be extremely localized.
If the water level in our pool was any indication we got more than 2 inches at 7th Ave and Thomas.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:26 AM

7,181 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Rode my bike down 15th Ave to work. Yesterday and this morning. Thomas Rd. is still closed west of 15th Ave.

At my house we got a good rain and some high winds but no damages. Closer to downtown tho was a mess yesterday. At least this morning the traffic lights along 15th were working.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:18 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,641 times
Big storm in Chandler last night. Lots more rain with booming thunder and lightning.
Of course my dog had to let me know an hour beforehand it was coming.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:04 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,085,200 times
Gosh, back in June you'd have thought everyone couldn't wait for their precious and beautiful summer thunderstorms.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:04 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,204 times
I love the monsoon and will be sad when it ends. This is the second straight year with an active "late" monsoon, which I find interesting -- I also find interesting that the NWS and all the other forecasters have consistently been wrong over the last week or so, reliably under-forecasting or not predicting at all the possibility of thunderstorms at a given time or day. E.g. storms popping up without warning, impacts being much stronger than expected based on the diagnostic discussion, etc.

I wonder if we are just in an unusual pattern right now and their computer models can't handle it properly, or what the deal is. Because they're usually pretty accurate the rest of the year, often foreseeing various high/lows, winds, troughs, etc., that will impact us a number of days ahead of time. Especially given we had rain in early June, a cool but quiet July, and a hot, boring August. This is just an unusual monsoon season all around.

Woke up to rain this morning at 330 or so. A lovely surprise. Here's to a wet, cool, cloudy September!

Old 09-02-2015, 12:30 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,212 times
Not sure where you're getting your weather info but I live in South Phoenix and the weather channel app on my iphone has been spot on.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:51 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,204 times
I start with the National Weather Service (wrh.noaa.gov/psr) because I know they have real, live, educated humans focused on our city/region 24/7, which I doubt any other service or app has. Also they provide a diagnostic discussion that I like to read because it explains how they came up with their forecast and what factors are at play. The NWS twitter account is also quite good, I visit it daily although I am not a 'Twitterer' myself.

I do use other services like Wunderground, Weather.com, and whatever automated weather thing Apple/iphones have. For viewing radar, I think abc15.com has a very good interface for their radar, as does the Wundermap app. For general rainfall totals I use the Maricopa FCD google page. I do have my own weather station but that's just historical not predictive.

Lastly, when stuff is happening I'll tune in to the TV news. I guess CBS would be the best, but I flip around depending on who's doing what during a storm. I'm mostly a FOX 10 viewer for news otherwise.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:45 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Plenty of damage around me in Central Phoenix with a little bit of small hail. It was something to watch, especially since I just got off of the trails about 1/2 hour before it hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area