Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 11:37 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petlover8 View Post
You tell me? Other states have the same cell phone laws as we do. And I've never seen, or heard of, so many horrendous wrecks under ideal conditions, as we have here. I don't doubt it may be a contributing factor. But this state takes the cake, frosting, and candles for idiot drivers. At least of anywhere I've ever seen and experienced in over 45 years of driving. I felt safer driving in snow and fog in Illinois, than I do on a clear, sunny day here.
Not true at all Petlover

State Distracted Driving Driving Laws

We sit with very few states who haven't even touched the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 06:15 AM

482 posts, read 533,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Not true at all Petlover

State Distracted Driving Driving Laws

We sit with very few states who haven't even touched the issue.
Absolute nonsense. You're acting as if this problem can be legislated away. It can't anymore than drunk drivers can be. Our laws concerning cell phone use are similar to:

1.) Alaska

2.) Florida

3.) Idaho

4.) Missouri

5.) Montana

6.) South Carolina

7.) Wyoming

I have driven extensively in every one of those states except for Alaska and South Carolina. And I can tell you first hand, the drivers in Arizona are FAR WORSE! As I said, cell phones are a contributing factor in accidents. But they are not responsible for the far higher percentage of idiots we have on our roads, along with their all but non existent driving abilities.

Besides, I was driving here in the early 90's, before there even was text messaging. And cell phone usage was just a fraction of what it is today. This city was still plagued with idiot drivers causing, and being involved in multi vehicle wrecks left and right. If you want to live where cell phones are banned while driving, there is nothing stopping you. You can't regulate dangers out of existence with more laws.

As I said, if that were the case look at our drunk driving laws which are among the toughest in the nation. We have thousands of drunk driving deaths and arrests every year. Chicago has some of this nations strictest gun control..... You've got a greater chance of being shot and killed there than in Bagdad. You can't legislate yourself into a safe utopia. That's proven nonsense...... Unless of course, you're drunk with liberal ideology.

Last edited by petlover8; 09-08-2015 at 06:33 AM..

Old 09-08-2015, 08:04 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
LOL!

All I did was point out that we DO NOT have the same laws as peer states (for better or for worse). You literally named the only other states that also have a similar free-for-all system. Not sure where or why this rambling turned into gun laws or Chicago

I wouldn't consider any of those states except maybe MO, SC and FL to be peer states.

I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of fine for texting. I mean shoot, even School Bus Drivers can legally text, so can City Bus drivers. I don't think talking on the phone is nearly as bad as texting is. NOTHING is as bad as texting is especially in a fast city like Phoenix. I remember in Tucson every single person texted at every single stop light and you'd have to honk to remind them that they are, in fact, on a road and that green means go, which they would know if they weren't on their phones. But in a city of average MPH around 30-35 and frequent stops, it's not the same level of catastrophe that a person texting in a vehicle in constant motion between 65-85 around other people.

Some states, like California, impose a $50 fine for texting if you are caught. I don't think they should go to tent city but a slap on the wrist to some of these idiots on the road would be a good learning lesson. (And revenue boost).

Old 09-08-2015, 10:49 AM

482 posts, read 533,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of fine for texting.
Neither would I. I just don't think it would change a damn thing. Fines can't make people smarter. We have dumb drivers. As I said, look at drunk driving laws. They've improved nothing, but making the traffic courts a bigger cash cow. That's all it's about anyway. Not..... "In the interest of public safety". That's a crock, and always has been. DUI checkpoints generate cash. That's why they pay law enforcement overtime to work them. Not to keep us "safe".

Old 09-08-2015, 11:57 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I'm impressed. 14 posts and this hasn't yet descended into the argument about slow drivers in the fast lane.
We got plenty of them here, I see it all the time driving on our freeways, 2 or 3 vehicles driving side by side, sometimes up to 10 MPH slower than the speed limit, other drivers behind them get blocked in, and what's worse, the slow drivers are oblivious to what's going on behind them..

Other problems:
- Drivers who sit at intersections and not pay attention when lights turn green, with other drivers behind them wondering why nobody is moving.

- Drivers on freeways who just have to slow down and look at situations/accidents (Rubbernecking), even very minor ones, everything is on the side of the road in the emergency lanes, and nothing to block traffic, yet many times traffic comes to a complete stop/slowdown thanks.. or no thanks to those who just have to look.. which in some cases causes more accidents when people pay more attention to what's on the side of the road rather than what's ahead of them.

- Usage of cell phones, and I've even seen some people driving on the freeways while texting. I don't want to be anywhere near such drivers, and sometimes I wish I could pull them over and tell them to use some common sense and PULL OFF THE ROAD and text all you want. I also know that many people talk on the phone while driving, and I'm sure this is common just about anywhere, not just in Phoenix. Out of courtesy to other drivers, if I need to use the cell phone, I'll pull off the road and talk, even with the speaker phone that I have. There's no reason to put the safety of others around us in jeopardy when a driver is paying more attention to the conversation than what's going on around them.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:09 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Here's a little humorous quip to offend you even more.

How can you tell the difference between a large pickup truck and a vacuum cleaner?

It depends on what side the dirtbag is on.
Thought that one was about Harley riders...anyway...As the American way now is to be offended by everything, I am offended by your classification of pickup truck drivers as being dirtbags and will be filing suit to have you take Pickup Truck Sensitivity Courses (Rolling Coal and You: How to Love Diesel Engines). Additionally, you will need to attend Vacuum Cleaner Therapy Group to apologize for reminding them that they suck and quite literally, have been forced to eat dirt by humans for years. Talk about your playground bully...geesh.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:40 PM

445 posts, read 515,689 times
Drivers here are terrible. They're also terrible in Chicago (where I'm from). They're terrible in Southwest Michigan (where I lived for a few years). They're terrible in LA. They're terrible in Florida. They're terrible in Texas. They're terrible just about everywhere else I've ever been, which is most of the country. The biggest difference here is the speed limits are higher, which means a lot of wrecks that would be fender benders at 30 mph are major accidents at 50 mph here. Aside from that, you have the same slow drivers, texting/eating/makeup-applying drivers, tailgaters, and otherwise general ******* drivers here that you have in every other city in the country.

Everyone sucks at driving. Except me. All of you should just drive like me and we'd all be fine.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:45 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
Drivers here are terrible. They're also terrible in Chicago (where I'm from). They're terrible in Southwest Michigan (where I lived for a few years). They're terrible in LA. They're terrible in Florida. They're terrible in Texas. They're terrible just about everywhere else I've ever been, which is most of the country. The biggest difference here is the speed limits are higher, which means a lot of wrecks that would be fender benders at 30 mph are major accidents at 50 mph here. Aside from that, you have the same slow drivers, texting/eating/makeup-applying drivers, tailgaters, and otherwise general ******* drivers here that you have in every other city in the country.

Everyone sucks at driving. Except me. All of you should just drive like me and we'd all be fine.
Welcome to Arizona, Sarge! We need all the perfect drivers we can get.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:33 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
that doesn't make any sense...
Maybe I should have chosen a different punchline.

A vacuum cleaner's dirtbag is on the outside and a large pickup's dirtbag is on the inside at the driver's seat.

Better now?

Old 09-08-2015, 08:50 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Thought that one was about Harley riders...anyway...As the American way now is to be offended by everything, I am offended by your classification of pickup truck drivers as being dirtbags and will be filing suit to have you take Pickup Truck Sensitivity Courses (Rolling Coal and You: How to Love Diesel Engines). Additionally, you will need to attend Vacuum Cleaner Therapy Group to apologize for reminding them that they suck and quite literally, have been forced to eat dirt by humans for years. Talk about your playground bully...geesh.
I am very sorry for being so offensive, and I will voluntarily enroll myself in these courses-therapy groups to broaden my horizons so I can be enlightened and sensitised.

Afterward I will bow to every loud, oversized, obnoxious, big-tired pickup truck I come across and realize they deserve civil rights for being unfairly stereotyped and discriminated against because of their size.

I will even campaign to have an extra traffic lane reserved especially for these trucks because they certainly need that extra space to speed aggressively and not have anyone in their way.

I will report back to you on my progress after my first session and it will probably be around the time I go into the restroom and sneak out the window, that is if I don't scratch the windowpane and be forced to attend a window sensitivity class.

Last edited by Java Jolt; 09-08-2015 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: spelling correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area