Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 12:39 PM

194 posts, read 291,949 times

Advertisements

For those of you who live in or around Goodyear, I am looking for a recommendation for a veterinary. But first let me tell you my sad story.

Last week I took my beloved 12 year old chihuahua in for a dental procedure and he passed away a few hours later. I am heart broken. The vet assured me this hardly ever happens and was so apologetic, and explained that because of his age, he very well could have had an underlying health condition. But there's also a chance something could've gone wrong during tbe procedure, unfortunately I'll never know. I feel like an idiot, I felt I did my research. No, I didn't personally know anyone who had gone to this clinic, but I read all the reviews and they were all positive. It's not easy starting from scratch in a new town so I went with my gut and all the staff made me feel incredibly comfortable and at ease. But now my dog is gone

So I guess I am in a dilemma. We have another dog as well who will need care. Like I said, I do like the dr's a lot but I will always wonder about the 'what if' and if they did something wrong. If you were in my position would you find a new veterinarian? And on that note...does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks all. I've never been so confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 12:54 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
I'm very sorry to hear about your dog. That's a gut wrenching thing to go through, especially in the circumstance you describe.

IMHO, mainstream vets are all pretty much the same. Like people docs, they all read from the same recommendation books on procedures and you'll for the most part get the same recommendations on what to do/not do. This is not to say there are some hacks out there. In my view, most will pick the vet that they feel is "nice"/easy to talk to. Of course you could go to a holistic vet where you'll get a different approach.

With that said, a few neighbors of ours told us they had good experience at the Goodyear Animal Hospital:

Goodyear Animal Hospital - 12 Photos - Veterinarians - Goodyear, AZ - Reviews - Yelp

We only used them when we lost our 16+ year old dog last year. They did handle her cremation professionally. Other than that, we tend to stay away from vets unless one of our dogs need a rare course of antibiotics or whatever. We get their rabies shots from clinics and such.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:56 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italy04 View Post
For those of you who live in or around Goodyear, I am looking for a recommendation for a veterinary. But first let me tell you my sad story.

Last week I took my beloved 12 year old chihuahua in for a dental procedure and he passed away a few hours later. I am heart broken. The vet assured me this hardly ever happens and was so apologetic, and explained that because of his age, he very well could have had an underlying health condition. But there's also a chance something could've gone wrong during tbe procedure, unfortunately I'll never know. I feel like an idiot, I felt I did my research. No, I didn't personally know anyone who had gone to this clinic, but I read all the reviews and they were all positive. It's not easy starting from scratch in a new town so I went with my gut and all the staff made me feel incredibly comfortable and at ease. But now my dog is gone

So I guess I am in a dilemma. We have another dog as well who will need care. Like I said, I do like the dr's a lot but I will always wonder about the 'what if' and if they did something wrong. If you were in my position would you find a new veterinarian? And on that note...does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks all. I've never been so confused.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Was he put under anesthesia? If so, especially with an older dog, these kinds of things can and do happen. It is entirely possible, if not probable, that there is nothing they did wrong, but given what happened, they may be even more careful with your other dog in the future. And that's a good thing.

I'm sure others can give you recommendations for vets in the area (ask LBTRS in a direct message, if you like) if you'd like to try someone else.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:56 PM

247 posts, read 844,116 times
I hear nothing but good things about Dr. Nancy Buczek at the Complete Pet Animal Hospital in Litchfield Park. One of my favorite rescues uses them. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:06 PM

194 posts, read 291,949 times
Thank you for the responses and recommendations. Yes my dog was put under anesthesia, in fact he required several extractions which made the procedure last longer than normal and very well could be why he passed. I want so badly to believe that they did everything they could, I have no reason to feel they did anything wrong. So I try to tell myself not to worry, and keep going to the same location in the future. I knew the risks going in but everyone assured me that these types of things are so rare. Of course the rare instance had to happen to my baby. Thanks again

Old 09-04-2015, 02:16 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
So sorry to hear that!

We use Goodyear Animal Hospital at the corner of Van Buren and Estrella Parkway. A bit more expensive but they are great and have great doctors.

One of ours recently had bladder surgery there for bladder stones and they did a great job and had great follow-up. Highly recommend them. Dr. Tuttle is great.

We had a bad experience with a tooth cleaning and extractions at a local vet office that we no longer use. I'm going to DM you and see where this happened as it sounds familiar.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:46 PM

942 posts, read 2,520,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
So sorry to hear that!

We use Goodyear Animal Hospital at the corner of Van Buren and Estrella Parkway. A bit more expensive but they are great and have great doctors.

One of ours recently had bladder surgery there for bladder stones and they did a great job and had great follow-up. Highly recommend them. Dr. Tuttle is great.

We had a bad experience with a tooth cleaning and extractions at a local vet office that we no longer use. I'm going to DM you and see where this happened as it sounds familiar.
We use the same place and have been satisfied, particularly with their operating days/hours.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:24 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
I'm sorry to read about your dog. Don't blame the vet or yourself for using that vet. This sort of thing happens frequently with older dogs. They don't tolerate anesthesia as well as humans of comparable age. 12 is really old in doggie years.

My dog of 8 had her teeth with extractions done this year and I don't think I will take her for that again. She did well before with the cleanings, but was noticeably under the weather this time. She is the first dog that I ever had a teeth cleaning with. All the rest lived long and prospered without one.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:48 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm sorry to read about your dog. Don't blame the vet or yourself for using that vet. This sort of thing happens frequently with older dogs. They don't tolerate anesthesia as well as humans of comparable age. 12 is really old in doggie years.

My dog of 8 had her teeth with extractions done this year and I don't think I will take her for that again. She did well before with the cleanings, but was noticeably under the weather this time. She is the first dog that I ever had a teeth cleaning with. All the rest lived long and prospered without one.
The irony is the longest lived dogs we've had in our experience were only brought to vets when they needed a rabies booster shot(a clinic usually) or for the rare time they needed an antibiotic. Our last dog made it to just over 16yo using this method.

OP, another suggestion....do you brush your dogs teeth? It makes a big difference in keeping tarter at bay. A lot of dogs don't like it but if slowly get them used to it by starting to just put your finger in their mouth for a few seconds with a little toothpaste and slowly work up to the brush, my wife has never had problems brushing their teeth. Though it's not their favorite past time.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:06 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
The irony is the longest lived dogs we've had in our experience were only brought to vets when they needed a rabies booster shot(a clinic usually) or for the rare time they needed an antibiotic. Our last dog made it to just over 16yo using this method.

OP, another suggestion....do you brush your dogs teeth? It makes a big difference in keeping tarter at bay. A lot of dogs don't like it but if slowly get them used to it by starting to just put your finger in their mouth for a few seconds with a little toothpaste and slowly work up to the brush, my wife has never had problems brushing their teeth. Though it's not their favorite past time.
No. Haven't done the brushing thing, but I may try it. Like you, I don't bring the dogs except for rabies generally. I do my own shots of the others. My daughter pested me because the pooch had "doggie breath". I follow the same practice myself - haven't seen a doctor in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area