Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:00 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,961 times

Advertisements

Thank you kttam for an informative post! Perhaps that explains why the local forecasters have been noting some difficulty with their models and projections, and are more in disagreement with each other than usual. It is definitely a season of change.

We have been significantly above average in our humidity this month, but being September, the monsoon could fall of a cliff, so to speak, "any day now."

Statistically speaking, the "normal" date that our average dewpoint drops below 55 degrees is ... September 11. So not far off...by the end of the month, the normal is all the way down to 45 so it's just a matter of time.

Link to NWS monsoon tracker - dewpoints
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 09:13 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
On the radio today...chance of rain today, tomorrow, Friday...then again Sunday, Monday, Tuesday next week. I know we need the rain, but I am ready for some sunshine, please. I moved to get away fro rain

Old 09-09-2015, 09:58 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
On the radio today...chance of rain today, tomorrow, Friday...then again Sunday, Monday, Tuesday next week. I know we need the rain, but I am ready for some sunshine, please. I moved to get away fro rain
Plenty of sunshiny days ahead... not to worry!

Old 09-09-2015, 10:01 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
If we dont get the rain, we'll dry up, and youll be forced to move. September here is always super sucky, get used to it.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:11 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,610,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
2 things:

El Nino -- it can either clamp off the moisture valve of the Monsoon, or enhance it. This year, it's doing both!

Hurricanes in the Pacific -- this last bout of moisture moving up into California and Arizona is less "traditional monsoon" and more because the Pacific hurricanes being spawned by El Nino are starting to track more northward, and less eastward. This is typical of September and happens due to atmospheric conditions related to the upcoming Autumn Equinox. When the trajectory of Pacific hurricanes changes from west-to-east, and becomes south-to-north, as is currently happening, we're going to see a "Monsoon effect" with it being purely monsoonal. The hurricanes spawned in the El Nino-warmed waters off Mexico get pulled north toward Baja, instead of veering east like they had been doing in July and August. The moisture on the periphery of these hurricanes catches the air flowing around the axis of the High Pressure ridge over the Four Corners and spins up into the Southwest U.S. states, giving off a "monsoon effect".

The September hurricanes who push moisture up during El Nino years are a necessity in the Southwest and bring needed moisture to the region. If I lived in Arizona, I wouldn't complain about them, as they are key to keeping the state's few water tables above drought level.
Shazam, Kttam!

You must've been a meteorologist in an earlier day!

Old 09-09-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
If we dont get the rain, we'll dry up, and youll be forced to move. September here is always super sucky, get used to it.
As was August. And July. And May. Can't remember June, specifically. And a good chunk of last winter. I don't have to "get used to" anything, and I don't have to like it. I'll move if I must. No biggie. (shrug)

So much for moving someplace sunny and warm! I'm sick of the rain and clouds (like this AM...UGH). If it is going to be rainy, I wish it would at least be humid so my hair and skin can benefit from the moisture!

Old 09-09-2015, 10:36 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post

The September hurricanes who push moisture up during El Nino years are a necessity in the Southwest and bring needed moisture to the region. If I lived in Arizona, I wouldn't complain about them, as they are key to keeping the state's few water tables above drought level.
It cracks me up when people here complain about the rain. The people that grew up here learned to respect it more. The transplants moved here wanting 365 annual days of sun so they can soak in there 40,000 gallon swimming pool. Its all good, not like we are in a drought or anything

Old 09-09-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
It cracks me up when people here complain about the rain. The people that grew up here learned to respect it more. The transplants moved here wanting 365 annual days of sun so they can soak in there 40,000 gallon swimming pool. Its all good, not like we are in a drought or anything

The transplants that have endured real weather would like to escape it. it has nothing to do with "respect". I can fully understand the need of rain without having to be a cheerleader for every drop! Just because something is necessary doesn't mean everyone likes it.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:08 AM

246 posts, read 400,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
We love the cloudy days when they come, appreciating the beauty of the various cloud formations that roll through, knowing that the vast majority of days we see here are cloudless. And every bit of rain is appreciated. And I am a transplant, though it's been quite awhile now. Not to mention I've got a handful of plants that were planted last winter and those couple really hot weeks in August just about did them in so any rain/cloudy days we get help the plants make it to cooler temps. We had such a nice first part of the summer, with May and a good chunk of June (IIRC) being pretty mild, which makes the summer not seem quite so long.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:10 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
The transplants that have endured real weather would like to escape it. it has nothing to do with "respect". I can fully understand the need of rain without having to be a cheerleader for every drop! Just because something is necessary doesn't mean everyone likes it.

But if you, or any other transplant, expected 365 days of sunshine or close to it, you were wrong. Complaining about the weather every time it doesn't fit your "hot and sunny all the time" criteria just gets a bit old as a recurring theme. It's a good thing you are so open to moving, but there are some cloudy spells pretty much anywhere, even in what's considered a sunny place. Or, just wait it out, the sun will be back very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area