Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 12:14 AM

41 posts, read 120,920 times

Advertisements

Hi all..

In talks with company for a job at luke afb. Which town is better for schools, commute etc to luke. I've been to Phoenix before visiting relatives in fountain hills and Scottsdale, but I know those aren't close to the base.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 09:43 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Litchfield Park in about every aspect you mentioned.

Just note, that LP proper is a small area - mostly within the walls of the old community (indian school to camelback between dysart & litchfield).

There are a couple of other communities that carry LP addresses that are actually unincorporated county islands - really not that big of a deal, you just don't get resident access to LP services and typically you will be in an HOA community that contracts for trash, etc

The schools are still in the Litchfield Elementary School District and most zone to Millenium as the HS - which is part of the Agua Fria district

Old 09-13-2015, 01:29 PM

346 posts, read 549,096 times
If you are willing to go a bit further out (it takes us 10-15 minutes to get to the Luke Commissary) look at the Marley Park development in Surprise. Lots of parks, trees, community pool, community center, involved neighbours, varied architecture (no miles of stucco homes that look alike, something we didn't like about other areas), a great in neighbourhood K -8 school, brand new to newer homes (which makes a big difference in terms of energy efficiency and utility bills)...we just moved here over the summer from CO and couldn't be happier with our choice.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:40 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
Many people who work at Luke live in Goodyear or Litchfield Park. Lots of nice areas in both cities. Surprise and Avondale is another option for you.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:56 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
I would avoid Surprise if your looking at schools or your kids are into sports or music, they can't afford it and keep going through some large teacher layoffs. There is a small movement to try to get more education funding but if it doesn't happen the district will likely see another round of layoffs.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:05 PM

346 posts, read 549,096 times
Yes, there have been issues in the Surprise schools (all of Dysart School District, really) but it the impact of the voted down override (which we are working hard to get reinstated this November) depends on the school. Marley Park Elementary (K-8) is an A+ rated school with beautiful facilities and a really involved parent base; many people spend more to buy a house here in MP just so their kids can go to school here. I was actually really concerned about sending my daughter to Dysart High School once we moved here and told her I would choice her elsewhere or home school if I wasn't happy with it but so far, so good. There are honors classes for her, the teachers are responsive and hold the kids accountable, there have been no safety issues...they have had to cut some electives and teachers are making do with less (hence the necessity of reinstating the override) but my daughter is getting a good education and excelling thanks to committed teachers.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:59 PM

19 posts, read 36,478 times
I live in unincorporated Litchfield Park. Litchfield Schools, Millennium High School. Kids in both systems. Nothing but good things to say about it. Litchfield Park flies under the radar, but it's one of the best areas of the valley in terms of housing cost vs. public school quality.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:44 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,150 times
Glendale has some good areas in the northern half but the parts closer to Luke can be kind of sketchy.

Litchfield Park is much nicer and smaller compared to Glendale, it's closer to Luke too.

Goodyear and the northern part of Avondale are some other areas to search in that are middle-class, affordable, and generally safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area