Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 04:26 PM

9 posts, read 20,108 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to AZ in the next couple of months and the proximity to a gym is a major importance. The furthest I've ever lived from where I train was 6 miles, and that's about as far as I'd like to keep it.

Does anyone here know of any good gyms in the Maricopa, Gilbert or Queen Creek areas? These are the 3 cities we're looking at, so if you know of a good, hardcore-type gym with relatively inexpensive prices, I'd love to hear about it. Currently, I belong to a community rec center that has a nice weight area, so the family does their pool thing and I get to do my thing. So I'm open to that idea if the place has enough free weights.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 05:00 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
good ol' LA Fitness has a couple in that immediate area.....not really "hardcore", but a few people drop weights and grunt at my LA Fitness....pretty mainstream and well-maintained, usually....

3625 S Gilbert Rd
Gilbert, AZ 85297
(480) 845-6594

7225 South Power Rd Building A
Queen Creek, AZ 85142
(480) 988-6262

Old 09-13-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
good ol' LA Fitness has a couple in that immediate area.....not really "hardcore", but a few people drop weights and grunt at my LA Fitness....pretty mainstream and well-maintained, usually....

3625 S Gilbert Rd
Gilbert, AZ 85297
(480) 845-6594

7225 South Power Rd Building A
Queen Creek, AZ 85142
(480) 988-6262

Haha, thanks!

I guess I should've defined hardcore as a gym with power racks and allows deadlifting. I hate the weight-droppers as well!

Old 09-13-2015, 07:58 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,135 times
Casa Grande has Crossfit - as well as a couple of local gyms that supposedly have pretty good weight programs - but I am not an expert If you are looking at areas as far out as Maricopa and QC - maybe consider CG also? Not sure of what your other needs are.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:25 PM

14 posts, read 20,002 times
Maricopa only has Anytime Fitness (fairly hardcore) and the rec center. They also had a Crossfit gym, but not sure if it's still there.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm definitely now considering CG as well. I'm a former strength coach so training somewhere that allows me to just do my own lifting with some old school barbells/dumbbells is perfect. With so many big-box gyms out now, finding one that's not like a marriage between Planet Fitness & a heath spa at $50-100 per month is getting difficult.

To each is own...but those type of places are not my style.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:57 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BePrecise View Post
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm definitely now considering CG as well. I'm a former strength coach so training somewhere that allows me to just do my own lifting with some old school barbells/dumbbells is perfect. With so many big-box gyms out now, finding one that's not like a marriage between Planet Fitness & a heath spa at $50-100 per month is getting difficult.

To each is own...but those type of places are not my style.

For the type of gym that you're looking for, you're mostly out of luck out there. DieHard and Metroflex fit your parameters perfectly and then some but they are both out on the West side of the valley.

You could try EOS Gym(formerly Golds) in Gilbert. Another good place to try is Power MMA and Fitness in Gilbert. Its a combined MMA gym but with some good weight training equipment, pretty comprehensive and no nonsense.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:41 PM

152 posts, read 298,781 times
I've lived in all 3 cities and have worked in fitness for 12 years in these areas... Basically Gilbert has a gym practically on every corner so you can move anywhere there and will likely have at least 3 decent gyms with-in 5 miles. Queen creek gets a little more rural, has an LA fitness on the Gilbert/queen creek border and a couple small 24/7 gyms (snap fitness/anytime). I currently live in Maricopa, we have a decent size anytime fitness that is a little older but has some awesome power equipment. Also there is a new city rec center that is pretty nice, lots of amenities and less expensive than Anytime. I work in casa grande, has an LA fitness, planet fitness, and a couple small 24/7 gyms. While casa grande is an up and coming city I personally wouldn't want to live there, it's kinda ghetto and is still about 10 years away from that changing.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:15 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,135 times
Fitness Power - as I have said on numerous occasions here on C-D - I like Maricopa and it has a nice future as well. But your interpretation of CG is strange to me.

Im not sure what part of CG you work in or visit. But MOST of the town looks EXACTLY like Maricopa???!!!

Anything north of Cottonwood, East of Trekell with some minor exceptions (both newer areas within the border and a few small pockets of older areas outside of it) were all built at the same time as Maricopa (all 2005 or later)!!! You cannot tell the difference between the new subdivisions of CG and Maricopa.

Plus there is SOOOO much more infrastructure in CG - We have a full mall with Buffalo Wild Wings, Mimis, Olive Garden, Target, Kohls, BB and Beyond, Dillards, JCPenney, and more.....Maricopa has yet to have anything close. The hospital has recently been taken over by Banner and is being completely remodeled inside and out - looks GREAT so far.

We also have many new arrivals in town and soon to come such as a Boston's Restaurant and Sports Bar and more.

Yes, CG is a much older city than Maricopa - but the really older original areas are all within a 3 square mile area - and even some of those areas (like the old downtown area) offer a little bit of character and a break from the same ol same ol of the newer areas.

To each his own I guess.....I live in the newer north side of town and I could be in Maricopa or many other suburb cities for all I could tell.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:00 PM

Now we're talkin'.
Thanks and when I arrive next week to look at homes, I'll definitely check the proximity to some of those places.
Yes, my wife thinks I'm being a bit crazy, but as someone who will be working from home, I'll make more trips to the gym per week than anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area