Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 02:18 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,456,959 times

Advertisements

Well for starters moving from San Jose to Phoenix will be a big jump for you seeing as Phoenix is way more cosmopolitan, more nationally known, and there is a lot more opportunity here(although San Jose is in close proximity to SF so that's a major plus).

Second of all I am a minority of mixed race and have to say when I moved to California I found California to be way more segregated and racist than my time spent in Phoenix(so did my friend from Florida and Virginia). Phoenix neighborhoods are for sure more integrated.

I really don't know much about suprise though, it's way way out there. Might I suggest you live near central phoenix and commute(if you are willing to) seeing as there will be much more for you to do in the center of the valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 03:13 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,264,581 times
I consider myself to be a Progressive Democrat and I live in Arizona. I came here for family reasons (also outside my control), but there are many good things about living here. Some things you need to know about Arizona:

-In the ten years I've been here, the number of Democrats in the state legislature has increased.

-In 2012, 930,669 Arizona citizens cast votes for Barack Obama for president. That's only 212,382 fewer votes than the number of people who voted for Mitt Romney, so that's certainly not the whole state.

-The City of Phoenix, the City of Tucson, the City of Flagstaff, and the City of Tempe, among other municipalities, have Democratic mayors.

-Both Phoenix and Tucson have large and politically active LGBT communities. They are making a difference. Arizona might have lagged a bit behind on the "gay marriage" issue, but we didn't have to wait for the Supreme Court before it became legal here.

-In July, Bernie Sanders came to Phoenix with not much advance notice. His speech was scheduled for the Comerica Theater but in short order was moved to the Convention Center because it was obvious too many people were coming to fit the theater. According to city officials (not the campaign), more than 11,000 people packed the huge convention hall and many were turned away. At that time 11,000 people was Sanders' largest crowd to date. The crowd was enthusiastic and he was thrilled by the welcome. The first words out of his mouth were, "And people say this is a conservative city!" My 89-year-old mother insisted on going with me. I got her a seat in the handicapped section while I stood. She was sitting beside people who were there from Sun City. That's the place where Sheriff Arpaio has his strongest support. So obviously he might have a posse there, but not everyone is a member.

-The Maricopa County Democratic Party has its headquarters at 2914 N Central Avenue, 85012. They would be happy to have your services as a volunteer. Registering voters is particularly important. Certain conservatives are trying hard to suppress the Latino ethnic vote and it will take dedicated individuals to ensure that all citizens can exercise their rights.

-MoveOn.org, the progressive civic organization, is active in Phoenix. Get involved.

-Meetups near Phoenix, Arizona - Meetup has many groups listed that would enable you to meet like-minded individuals. Check it out.

-Depending on your exact address, you will be in either state Legislative District 21 or 22 and Surprise is in U.S. Congressional District 8. You can find out for sure by putting your new address in this locator:
District Locator
Yes, your current representatives will be conservative Republicans but register to vote, get involved, and that might change.

-As I'm sure you know, 2016 will be a presidential election year. It's also a senatorial election year in Arizona. That will make it all that much easier for you to meet people who agree with your political positions. Pick a candidate and join his or her organization. You will meet people and have lots to do as you get settled in your new home.

-One final thing to keep in mind, the most extreme ends of the political spectrum are the ones that get the attention of the media. Not all Republicans are far-right Tea Partiers and not all Democrats are left-wing radicals. It's in the political interest of certain people to push the message that there are no liberals at all in Arizona. That is far from true.

Welcome to getting-purpler-by-the-day Arizona. And please stop believing everything you read.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:56 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,045,559 times
If you ride a Harley, are active in the American Legion, and are a dog lover....you'll fit right in! Welcome!

Old 09-24-2015, 05:14 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,700,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I consider myself to be a Progressive Democrat and I live in Arizona. I came here for family reasons (also outside my control), but there are many good things about living here. Some things you need to know about Arizona:

-In the ten years I've been here, the number of Democrats in the state legislature has increased.

-In 2012, 930,669 Arizona citizens cast votes for Barack Obama for president. That's only 212,382 fewer votes than the number of people who voted for Mitt Romney, so that's certainly not the whole state.

-The City of Phoenix, the City of Tucson, the City of Flagstaff, and the City of Tempe, among other municipalities, have Democratic mayors.

-Both Phoenix and Tucson have large and politically active LGBT communities. They are making a difference. Arizona might have lagged a bit behind on the "gay marriage" issue, but we didn't have to wait for the Supreme Court before it became legal here.

-In July, Bernie Sanders came to Phoenix with not much advance notice. His speech was scheduled for the Comerica Theater but in short order was moved to the Convention Center because it was obvious too many people were coming to fit the theater. According to city officials (not the campaign), more than 11,000 people packed the huge convention hall and many were turned away. At that time 11,000 people was Sanders' largest crowd to date. The crowd was enthusiastic and he was thrilled by the welcome. The first words out of his mouth were, "And people say this is a conservative city!" My 89-year-old mother insisted on going with me. I got her a seat in the handicapped section while I stood. She was sitting beside people who were there from Sun City. That's the place where Sheriff Arpaio has his strongest support. So obviously he might have a posse there, but not everyone is a member.

-The Maricopa County Democratic Party has its headquarters at 2914 N Central Avenue, 85012. They would be happy to have your services as a volunteer. Registering voters is particularly important. Certain conservatives are trying hard to suppress the Latino ethnic vote and it will take dedicated individuals to ensure that all citizens can exercise their rights.

-MoveOn.org, the progressive civic organization, is active in Phoenix. Get involved.

-Meetups near Phoenix, Arizona - Meetup has many groups listed that would enable you to meet like-minded individuals. Check it out.

-Depending on your exact address, you will be in either state Legislative District 21 or 22 and Surprise is in U.S. Congressional District 8. You can find out for sure by putting your new address in this locator:
District Locator
Yes, your current representatives will be conservative Republicans but register to vote, get involved, and that might change.

-As I'm sure you know, 2016 will be a presidential election year. It's also a senatorial election year in Arizona. That will make it all that much easier for you to meet people who agree with your political positions. Pick a candidate and join his or her organization. You will meet people and have lots to do as you get settled in your new home.

-One final thing to keep in mind, the most extreme ends of the political spectrum are the ones that get the attention of the media. Not all Republicans are far-right Tea Partiers and not all Democrats are left-wing radicals. It's in the political interest of certain people to push the message that there are no liberals at all in Arizona. That is far from true.

Welcome to getting-purpler-by-the-day Arizona. And please stop believing everything you read.

Awesome!!!' Couldn't have said it any better myself you make about a thousand great people points, I find Arizona to be a very mixed bag of people and despite the right leaning nature of our overall vote there are pockets for everyone to be found here!

Old 09-24-2015, 09:47 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,237,701 times
What is comical is his post is full of news negative headlines for the entire state for the last 30 years. That would be like me moving to San Jose and the claiming "My memories of California are not great. I remember the San Francisco earthquake, the drive by shootings, LA riots, Rodney King beatings and the OJ Simpson Trial.

How is anyone to take someone like that seriously?

Old 09-25-2015, 12:35 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,456,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What is comical is his post is full of news negative headlines for the entire state for the last 30 years. That would be like me moving to San Jose and the claiming "My memories of California are not great. I remember the San Francisco earthquake, the drive by shootings, LA riots, Rodney King beatings and the OJ Simpson Trial.

How is anyone to take someone like that seriously?
haha I know, I didn't want to say it but his post was beyond ignorant. I couldn't believe what I was reading, as people said he acted like he was getting deployed to go to war and the best thing is is that he is from San Jose.....
It's not even like that's a desirable place in the slightest. Not trying to be mean but if you are going to rag on the 6th/soon to be 5th again largest city in the USA and is the center of it's own states economy you can't be from a place like San Jose. How ironic.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:44 AM

837 posts, read 2,327,789 times
True, but you guys fail to understand that these events, past or present, are what shapes the perceptions of outsiders.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:34 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,433,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cadillac_Lawyer View Post
True, but you guys fail to understand that these events, past or present, are what shapes the perceptions of outsiders.
I wonder about people who make a list/have concerns about a place where similar things have happened in their own state/backyard but they fail to acknowledge or be concerned about it.

And in the end, if a few "events" over the decades are what shape a persons complete belief about something/a place and the vast majority of good that exists is ignored, I sure hope such people never move to the state I live in, let alone in my community/next door.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:00 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

District Locator

This is a wonderful post. At the same time, we have to stop blaming Republicans for trying to "suppress the Hispanic vote" Call a spade a spade. Arizona has a lot of voter apathy and large part of that comes from the Hispanic AMERICAN citizens in the state who do not vote. If they voted, this state would not have so many conservative politicians running it. At some point, people have to take responsibility for their inactions. We can't keep making excuses. It's flat out APATHY. Furthermore, you don't really see television ads and other marketing information from Democrats encouraging Hispanics in the state to vote. That always surprised me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area