Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:19 AM

7,298 posts, read 12,205,923 times

Advertisements

Looks like talks between Transdev and the ATU have resumed as of today, and we should be finding out if there will be a strike soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 07:54 AM

Looks like the strike is official as of today:
Phoenix bus strike: What you need to know

This will hurt riders in eastern and central Phoenix, as well as the east-west routes in northern Phoenix.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:04 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,187,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Looks like the strike is official as of today:
Phoenix bus strike: What you need to know

This will hurt riders in eastern and central Phoenix, as well as the east-west routes in northern Phoenix.

And north south routes on the west side, and all the RAPIDs, and some of the circulators, most notably the DASH downtown.

A few of the routes are running on an hourly basis.

I wonder how they plan to handle the "extended service" offered on Routes 60 and 70 for the game on Monday in Glendale. Hopefully they will get this strike worked out fast. A lot fewer buses downtown this morning!

Old 01-08-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
And north south routes on the west side, and all the RAPIDs, and some of the circulators, most notably the DASH downtown.

A few of the routes are running on an hourly basis.

I wonder how they plan to handle the "extended service" offered on Routes 60 and 70 for the game on Monday in Glendale. Hopefully they will get this strike worked out fast. A lot fewer buses downtown this morning!
You are correct about the DASH (as well as the SMART, but not the ALEX or the MARY) circulators and the Rapid, but not the north-south west side routes, which are not under Transdev (they are under the First Transit-Phoenix West division off of Van Buren, which is under a separate contract from the Transdev-Phoenix North and South Divisions that are currently on strike), thus all north-south routes from 43rd Avenue westward (43, 51, 59, 67, 75, and 83) continue to operate normal service.

In fact, last year the First Transit-Phoenix West Division threatened a strike during the Super Bowl, but reached an agreement at the last minute, thus that strike never occurred.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:29 AM

13 posts, read 12,747 times
lazy bastards. It's becoming an effort to count the amount of times they've went on strike for more pay and more benefits. Seems like it's never enough for them and service never gets any better. I still remember the time I got kicked off of the bus in 2008 for being the last person in line even though I was the first to arrive at that stop. And the other time where I got yelled at by a bus driver b/c I was talking to my friend about times when they were late (she later banned me from all her routes). Let me tell you what they need to do. Fire all striking employees and institute a policy that no unions can be formed and strikes cannot be conducted.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
You are correct about the DASH (as well as the SMART, but not the ALEX or the MARY) circulators and the Rapid, but not the north-south west side routes, which are not under Transdev (they are under the First Transit-Phoenix West division off of Van Buren, which is under a separate contract from the Transdev-Phoenix North and South Divisions that are currently on strike), thus all north-south routes from 43rd Avenue westward (43, 51, 59, 67, 75, and 83) continue to operate normal service.

In fact, last year the First Transit-Phoenix West Division threatened a strike during the Super Bowl, but reached an agreement at the last minute, thus that strike never occurred.

I consider the 19 and 35 to be "west side" north-south routes, which is why I said what I said. And they are very heavily traveled ones that I have actually ridden several times. Also the 27, and the 15. Here are the affected routes, directly from the Valley Metro site.

Transdev-operated routes: 0-Central Ave. 1-Washington/Jefferson 7-7th Street 8-7th Ave. 10-Roosevelt/32nd Street 12-12th Street 15-15th Ave. 16-16th Street 19-19th Ave. 27-27th Ave. 28-Lower Buckeye 35-35th Ave. 39-40th Street North Phoenix 44-44th St/Tatum 50-Camelback 52-Roeser 60-Bethany Home 70-Glendale/24th Street 80-Northern/Shea 90-Dunlap/Cave Creek 106-Peoria 122-Cactus 138-Thunderbird 154-Greenway 170-Bell 186-Union Hills/Mayo SMART (Sunnyslope) circulator DASH (downtown) circulator All RAPID commuter routes:Central South Mountain East RAPID Central South Mountain West RAPID I-10 East RAPID I-10 West RAPID I-17 RAPID SR-51 RAPID -

Old 01-08-2016, 11:48 AM

6,401 posts, read 8,916,633 times
Thankfully there are some non-strikers for those that depend on buses. I don't ride the bus but I may attempt to find out which lines are in operation still. Maybe I'll take a ride just to pay them my respects.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Thankfully there are some non-strikers for those that depend on buses. I don't ride the bus but I may attempt to find out which lines are in operation still. Maybe I'll take a ride just to pay them my respects.
The Valley Metro site lists the ones that are operating hourly. The 0, 19 and 35, and 50 and 70, are most of them.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:57 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,477,156 times
Strikes are lousy but sometimes they are necessary like in this situation.

The union is trying to get bereavement time, uniform allowances, and a tiered payment system.

Driving a bus isn't exactly easy work and I don't see what's wrong with giving operators these basic benefits when so many non-union employees with cushy office jobs have these things.

I just hope the strike is short-lasting, the people who suffer the most during these strikes are the patrons.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:21 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,416,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Strikes are lousy but sometimes they are necessary like in this situation.

The union is trying to get bereavement time, uniform allowances, and a tiered payment system.

Driving a bus isn't exactly easy work and I don't see what's wrong with giving operators these basic benefits when so many non-union employees with cushy office jobs have these things.

I just hope the strike is short-lasting, the people who suffer the most during these strikes are the patrons.
Perhaps the lesson here is for these employees to not be in a union if they aren't benefiting from it if what you say is true that non-union employees are doing better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area