Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 13,722 times

Advertisements

Someone out there recently mentioned that they missed the old newscasts featuring my father, Dave Nichols of KOOL-TV and sports with Bill Denny. I appreciate the thought, even though I realize it wasn't written for my benefit. My old man had a long AZ career in television, ended up doing public affairs for channel 3 and wrote of book, "A Nichols Worth of Ev" which chronicled the tumultuous political ride of Ev Mecham's journey into politics, i.e., Governor. Bill Denny was a great guy, as well. I used to spend an occasional Friday after school/evening down at the station when my Dad would let me. I would hang around the AP machine, talk to Bill about sports stuff (as best I could-I was about 9 or 10 at the time). My Dad and I would have dinner at Upton's Diner on Thomas, and then head back. I would sit maybe 15 feet away from him during his newscasts. It was pretty cool.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:30 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
I remember Dave from the 60-70's. Great newscaster, along with sportcaster Bill Denny. I also remember him being teamed with Mary Jo West on CBS-10 then and the hostage situation at the TV station. Quite the experience huh. What did your dad have to say about that incident?

Old 02-13-2008, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 13,722 times
My dad had mixed emotions regarding the whole Mary Jo/co-anchor thing. he wanted a change, and he knew Gov. Ernest McFarland from his political days, so they set up a meeting and that was that. He was a very traditional newscaster-started in 1949 when no one was really sure of what they were doing. They all just learned together in the dark. Regarding the gunman and Bill Close, well, that whole episode (if you watched) was self explanatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area