Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 09:29 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,711,644 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, I stumbled across this on the radio, and I got really excited. Finally, I thought, a reliable resource for homeowners.

But when I got around to looking at their site, it was so narrow as to be useless. Their referrals were meager, and mostly only for widely known, very expensive companies. I'd been hoping for somebody to recommend small companies, individual workers, less expensive options. I figured that they were too paranoid about lawsuits to recommend anything other than a sure bet.

Are any of you fans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 11:02 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
We've used the site for a few recommendations and have been pleased. If I need help in an area where I don't have any previous contacts, that's where I go.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:25 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
I've listened to the show a handful of times. Overall, I haven't been impressed by the show. I heard recommendations that are "iffy". In general, I THINK it's a show to garner customers to select contractors, but that's just my opinion.

If I need answers on homeowner issues, i search from multiple trusted sources.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:08 AM

246 posts, read 401,005 times
I enjoy listening to the show when I catch it occasionally while driving around. The one time I tried one of the referral companies on the website, we had an appointment with the company to get an estimate and they never showed up and didn't return several calls afterwards to try to reschedule. I e-mailed Rosie on the house regarding the non-responsiveness of the company, but this particular company remains on their recommended list. I've learned to do your due diligence on anyone, regardless of how highly they come recommended. We were burned by a landscaping company that had lots of good reviews but turned out to do very shoddy work, much of which we've subsequently had to have redone.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:27 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
I find his voice annoying, so I don't listen to the show. The commercials with "hey there, Rosie here" talking about scorpions and "black widduhs" is bad enough. Ugh.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:28 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
One can only glean so much from radio shows like Rosie on the House, unless something actually pertains to your particular situation. I agree that mostly it's meant to showcase different contractors, good or bad.

Back before NPR became extremely nauseating, I would listen to Car Talk, with Click & Clack the Tappet Brothers, who presented excellent automotive information, complete with equally excellent humor! I always enjoyed their east coast accents! They were great.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:57 PM

200 posts, read 413,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I've listened to the show a handful of times. Overall, I haven't been impressed by the show. I heard recommendations that are "iffy". In general, I THINK it's a show to garner customers to select contractors, but that's just my opinion.

If I need answers on homeowner issues, i search from multiple trusted sources.
Good post...I agree

Old 10-13-2015, 04:54 PM

226 posts, read 227,470 times
Angie's List is probably just as reliable and beneficial a resource.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:37 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Out of the dozen various contractors we used for various re-modeling work Rosie's was the highest bidder and had the pushiest salesman. He primarily talked about how special it would be to have a radio/tv personality's company doing our work. He also made false statements about what was required to do the job. I called the county permit dept and asked them about the requirements he stated, like having to have a certified 4 corner survey and a nuclear waste test, and they laughed and said that sounded like some kind of sales pitch.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:01 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,711,644 times
Thanks for the interesting replies.

I was less interested in the show itself than the idea - so I thought - of someone making recommendations.

Personally, I find Angie's List next to useless (partly because the ratings/reviews are so un-nuanced), and I've heard that there's some of the same corruption as with Yelp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area