Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 06:13 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,622,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
^^^^^

Duck season.....Wabbit Season......Snowbird Season!

Let the comments fly! Some examples of what to expect over the coming months...."wow they drive slow!"......."the stores are so crowded!"....."took forever to wait for that table in the restaurant!".

How am I doing with my predictions and what did I miss?
I think "snowbirds" are prolly going to take some undeserved heat/credit for traffic & increased business at stores this year. $2 gas means that people from the far-out burbs can afford to come into town to play & spend their paychecks. My area of town isn't touristy or resort-y, but it has changed pretty significantly over the past year or so. The strip-mall around the corner that was 70% vacant in 2009 is now 100% occupied & getting an $8 pizza there means waiting in a line that's frequently outside the door - and hoofing it to the edge of the parking lot (which is now full). I know of at least 3 (large & expensive) new apartment complexes being built in the area & a couple of the once-dead infill housing tracts are finally getting built on. I don't think we can count on the increased traffic & business going away in april like it used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 08:41 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,582,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
^^^^^

Duck season.....Wabbit Season......Snowbird Season!

Let the comments fly! Some examples of what to expect over the coming months...."wow they drive slow!"......."the stores are so crowded!"....."took forever to wait for that table in the restaurant!".

How am I doing with my predictions and what did I miss?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizfourfam View Post
They are coming back in droves. Next uptick will be in November and then January, the final migration. Long restaurant lines, busy roads and stores. Crazy drivers, and I mean all kinds; gooseneckers, steering wheel clutchers, garage/estate sale gawkers, left turns from the right or through lanes, golf cart pokealongs and speed demons and that unmistakeable sense of entitlement that seems to follow snowbirds wherever they go. Sheesh
O, the perils of living in Arizona...

Old 10-18-2015, 08:52 AM

4,560 posts, read 6,262,422 times
"prolly"...what the hell is that ? I was never learnt that word in skoo....

Old 10-18-2015, 09:10 AM

4,560 posts, read 6,262,422 times
"How am I doing with my predictions and what did I miss?"....

you overlooked that those from north of the border are perceived to be more rude than others, and how they all seem to stop in a 6' wide grocery store aisle, with 2.5' carts parked side by side to catch up on last summers activities, then get their nose out of joint if they are asked to move...

"They are coming back in droves"....good, my place in Yuma is for sale !

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 10-18-2015, 09:34 AM

586 posts, read 537,431 times
I think you willing be seeing a reduction in the number of Canadian snowbirds you see this year. With the Canadian dollar hovering around the 75 cent mark many people I know are choosing the Island holiday this year as opposed to rental house with golf and pro sports. When you have to add over 30% to your cost factor of a couple years ago it really does make the choice a little more difficult. Prices for most things in Phoenix have increased in last few years while the dollar has trended down, that's not a good combination for retired folks. And many of the real estate investors from the north have cashed out on the dollar advantage this year.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:43 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,912,629 times
I've made my opinions of this group known. That said, I have one couple renting a house of mine in Tucson, and while they are rude they do pay their bills better than the college students do. They do call me and complain about non-issues a lot more though.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:25 AM

4,619 posts, read 9,239,125 times

Old 10-18-2015, 10:41 AM

498 posts, read 541,077 times
I'm so happy that all you aren't happy. Can't wait to make you even less happy!

Think I'll stay home all day and go shopping at 4 pm! go out for dinner at 6 too!

Old 10-18-2015, 10:45 AM

402 posts, read 683,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"prolly"...what the hell is that ? I was never learnt that word in skoo....
this is an old western version of probably. in a lot of books and so on...

Old 10-18-2015, 11:50 AM

9,479 posts, read 12,239,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaw View Post
this is an old western version of probably. in a lot of books and so on...
Prolly originated in the 1940s. It's a very lazy way to say probably and drives me crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area