Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 02:27 AM

225 posts, read 959,992 times

Advertisements

I think a person's weight can influence their tolerance toward heat. When I first moved from NY, I was about 60 lbs heavier. I struggled initially because being overweight, I was sweating a lot more in the summers. Overweight and obese people will tolerate cold temperatures better than heat so I can understand why some prefer the cold as I did when I first moved here. If you struggle with the heat, consider trying to drop some weight. It really made a difference and I could tolerate the summers much better after getting into shape. My husband also lost weight and he wouldn't sweat nearly as much and could tolerate the heat. I think you will be suprised by how much of a difference just losing 10-20 lbs will make in adapting to the brutal summers here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 09:38 AM

25 posts, read 119,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvAZ View Post
One note I wanted to make to you (I just skimmed the responses so forgive me if someone pointed it out to you already) is that April can't be considered visiting in the summer. To me, April is the BEST Arizona weather. To really test out the AZ heat you need to come in July or August.
I can definately agree with that. It seems like, no, it does just keep on getting hotter and hotter until about July/August...

Old 02-10-2008, 10:21 AM

113 posts, read 276,616 times
I live in MN and I made the mistake of moving to AZ. I remember how sick I was of our cold winters and at first, the idea of moving to AZ was exciting. Anyways, I spend 3 years in the Phoenix area and I can't even explain how bad the heat is. Anyways, I am not going to go into Phoenix bashing but sure enough I am back in MN. Have been here for 4 years but at least I know that moving to AZ was not a good move. If you are looking for good weather, San Diego, LA or even Sacramento. Very expensive but you gotta pay for good weather. I would not recommend the Phoenix area.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:33 PM

38,971 posts, read 50,909,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettearose View Post
I think a person's weight can influence their tolerance toward heat. When I first moved from NY, I was about 60 lbs heavier. I struggled initially because being overweight, I was sweating a lot more in the summers. Overweight and obese people will tolerate cold temperatures better than heat so I can understand why some prefer the cold as I did when I first moved here. If you struggle with the heat, consider trying to drop some weight. It really made a difference and I could tolerate the summers much better after getting into shape. My husband also lost weight and he wouldn't sweat nearly as much and could tolerate the heat. I think you will be suprised by how much of a difference just losing 10-20 lbs will make in adapting to the brutal summers here.
So very true.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:11 PM

125 posts, read 476,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by condorito View Post
I live in MN and I made the mistake of moving to AZ. I remember how sick I was of our cold winters and at first, the idea of moving to AZ was exciting. Anyways, I spend 3 years in the Phoenix area and I can't even explain how bad the heat is. Anyways, I am not going to go into Phoenix bashing but sure enough I am back in MN. Have been here for 4 years but at least I know that moving to AZ was not a good move. If you are looking for good weather, San Diego, LA or even Sacramento. Very expensive but you gotta pay for good weather. I would not recommend the Phoenix area.
So you never researched the temp difference to know what to expect??? weird. It is up to 1 now at 4pm here and 64 in Kingman, I have been watching the temps all over the state compared to mine for years

Old 02-12-2008, 10:50 PM

31 posts, read 117,092 times
It should be a requirement for anyone moving here to stay for 1 week in the valley in August. Heat is not that bad...as my name implies...I work for Fedex as a courier. I am outside in it all day. I am tired of people complaining about the heat...why complain about something that you can not do anything about???

Old 02-13-2008, 11:06 AM

225 posts, read 959,992 times
What hasn't been mentioned is that there is subset of people that actually enjoy the high temperatures. I'm not referring to people who tolerate the heat but actually enjoy it. I actually like heat. I can't wait for the summers. I think the heat feels really good. I like walking out of an ultra-air conditioned building into a nice warm dry heat. It's not sticky so it feels just right. I'm not running marathons in that heat so from walking back and forth from my car isn't that bad. When I want to do outdoor activities, I can go in the morning or evenings. I personally find the heat in the summer to be soothing and relaxing when I walk outside to my office building in the mornings when it's just right. I realize I have the minority opinion but those of you who enjoy heat will know what I'm talking about. I know there are people who enjoy the cold like this too. To each his or her own!

Old 02-13-2008, 11:19 AM

641 posts, read 2,358,726 times
The heat is livable here. I guess for me though, after so many years, I miss season change. I miss green. Wish I could afford to go to a cold state for one year just for a break,lol But a year of the cold stuff , I would be good to go for another 5 years here

Ama

Old 02-13-2008, 11:45 AM

6,596 posts, read 5,840,180 times
Some people not only don't research the weather before moving here, they also incorrectly assume that Arizona is one monolithic temperature zone, which could not be farther from the truth. In fact, Arizona has an incredible range of weather. It could be 74 here in Phoenix in February and there could be a foot of snow and 25 up in Flagstaff. As I understand it, even in one place the temps can differ dramatically like, for example, the rim of the Grand Canyon versus the basin.

I agree with Sweet Tea Rose that the summer is not too bad if you have the right attitude, and in any event you can get away from it from time to time by driving a mere 90 minutes to 2 hours north on the weekend. Try getting away from the Minnesota cold by driving two hours!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:24 PM

232 posts, read 733,163 times
As for me, I visited Scottsdale last spring and at the time, I hated the whole experience. My aunt and uncle are at Terravida, which is right at Cave Creek and Carefree Hwy (near the Boulders?). Anyways, it was miles and miles from anywhere. But, I did get to see downtown. I've always been a big fan of downtown areas, and it looks like Phoenix has a downtown that is just starting to take off. Part of me really wants to make a big life change. At 33, gay, unhappy with living in Duluth, MN where I am one of five gay people, unhappily single for ten years, I have a degree in psychology and thinking about getting my nursing degree (it would only take two years), I'm really tempted to start planning. I'm not happy in Duluth. This is a dying city that is at the end of the line, literally. Interstate 35 ends here. The school population has dropped 50% since 1988, and our population total is only 86,500 (it was over 110,000 in 1970). We are 160 miles from Minneapolis, which is too far away for us to benefit from their success. I did live in Minneapolis for a few years, but it's become outrageously expensive and overpriced; the people were trying to act like they were from New York (artsy stuck up), and the crime imported from Chicago has made Minneapolis a place I didn't want to stay in. Bottom line is I feel like I'm wasting my life here, and if I relocate, I don't want the same disaster as Minneapolis.

I want to know how much money I need to have saved up before moving out there. I need to know honestly from locals what downtown is really like, how safe it is, can I survive without a car (one of the benefits here), the downtown in Duluth is trying to transform as well, but our main problem is that there are no grocery stores downtown or places to shop (other than expensive boutique stores and convenience stores). The main thing for me, of course is the weather. I don't know if I can handle another freezing cold winter in Duluth (especially alone)...I think that any city can probably be a happy place if you have someone to share your life with, but I'm coming to the conclusion that that's never going to happen for me here. It hasn't in the last 10 years, who is to say it will be any different over the next 10-20 years. This winter, especially, has been tough. We got pounded with snow right before December, which has stuck around since, and we've had a few weeks of (ready for this?) -50 degree windchill and the sun just doesn't even come out. Everyone stays inside. I don't think hardly anyone in Duluth ventures outside their small circle of friends which makes it really lonely here.

So for those of you who made the move to Phoenix, are the things I'm describing - are they things that will be the same no matter what city you live in, or did your life change when you moved out there (more diversity, better weather, more access to being outside - I love to run and hike which is hard to do here when its -40 or in the middle of a blizzard). Your thoughts? Be brutal if you must - I just want honesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area