Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 06:05 PM

9,665 posts, read 11,023,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Actually, a lot of very rich retirees live in scottsdale, so their income might be low, but they got millions in the bank
Rich retired people generally don't live in Arizona summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 09:27 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,415,096 times
Quote:
Actually, a lot of very rich retirees live in scottsdale, so their income might be low, but they got millions in the bank
True, millionaire next door types abound throughout the valley. Many don't wear their wealth on their sleeves via external material trinkets.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
True, millionaire next door types abound throughout the valley. Many don't wear their wealth on their sleeves via external material trinkets.
Very true. But average income doesn't tell the whole story. Allow me to illustrate my point to ajonesaz when I said "rich people don't live in AZ summers". Checkout these stats: (source http://www.city-data.com/city/Carefree-Arizona.html )

In Carefree, the average home value is $710,000. The average income is $78,000.

In Gilbert, the average home value is $239,000. Yet the average income is higher @ $81,500.

This is how data can mislead the actual conclusion. Supposedly there is only 3500 people living in Carefree. I propose there are hundreds or possibly a couple thousand of people who's income is not being averaged in because they pay their income taxes somewhere else. There is absolutely positively NO way $78,000 can support a $710,000 home. So there are many people who are not being counted on the census data as living in Carefree.

I'm not taking anything away from Gilbert. Strong married families on average make more income than broken families. Gilbert's more conservative culture embraces family values. Gilbert is safer because they figured out how to shed the the less than ideal neighbors. A big part of me wishes I chose Gilbert to live in. It was runner up. I think it is a superior place to live other than I'm agnostic and felt like an outsider when every single neighborhood I was interested in designed in Mormon church smack-dab in the middle of the development. No thank you and that was the show stopper for me. Maybe it would have worked but I didn't want to risk it. Still, my income would not have been averaged in and I would not have existed in the population because I file taxes in MN.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:32 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,415,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Very true. But average income doesn't tell the whole story. Allow me to illustrate my point to ajonesaz when I said "rich people don't live in AZ summers". Checkout these stats: (source http://www.city-data.com/city/Carefree-Arizona.html )

In Carefree, the average home value is $710,000. The average income is $78,000.

In Gilbert, the average home value is $239,000. Yet the average income is higher @ $81,500.

This is how data can mislead the actual conclusion. Supposedly there is only 3500 people living in Carefree. I propose there are hundreds or possibly a couple thousand of people who's income is not being averaged in because they pay their income taxes somewhere else. There is absolutely positively NO way $78,000 can support a $710,000 home. So there are many people who are not being counted on the census data as living in Carefree.

I'm not taking anything away from Gilbert. Strong married families on average make more income than broken families. Gilbert's more conservative culture embraces family values. Gilbert is safer because they figured out how to shed the the less than ideal neighbors. A big part of me wishes I chose Gilbert to live in. It was runner up. I think it is a superior place to live other than I'm agnostic and felt like an outsider when every single neighborhood I was interested in designed in Mormon church smack-dab in the middle of the development. No thank you and that was the show stopper for me. Maybe it would have worked but I didn't want to risk it. Still, my income would not have been averaged in and I would not have existed in the population because I file taxes in MN.
Good analysis. Plus I think you have some people living in Carefree/other valley cities in pricier homes who have low or lower average incomes vs the home prices but are asset rich and now retired on a lower income. Or move from a high priced state like CA. Someone could sell their modest CA home and pay cash for the Carefree home and get much more house for their money. Both of these situations wouldn't reflect accurately in the stated average income.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:01 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,559,889 times
Isn't Gilbert the city that recently denied building permits for tax credit multifamily housing?

Old 11-08-2015, 12:40 AM

8,017 posts, read 12,161,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Yes, dirt cheap. You can get a nice family home for under $250k. You'd be hard-pressed to find that elsewhere unless you live in the boonies.
I understand that Gilbert is dominated by developments that are very well maintained. Even with the cheaper housing, you'd still have to look pretty hard to find anything close to a slum in Gilbert. The problem is: many of the developments are cookie cutter/look alikes, and each yard is a small patch with rock/xeriscape, very little greenery & not much character. To me, that is a huge turn off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Isn't Gilbert the city that recently denied building permits for tax credit multifamily housing?
It's the TOWN that denied the building permits. Gilbert is nearly 250,000 in population, but still insists on being called a town for some strange reason.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:01 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,885,640 times
Quote:
Gilbert has highest median income in the country (adjusted for cost of living)! A nice boost for the valley! Chandler and Scottsdale are also in the top 10. It's always annoying when people claim Arizona is nothing but low paying service sector jobs. Most surprising is Gilbert and Chandler beat Scottsdale for median income!

Gilbert ranked No. 1 in U.S. for median income

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-citie...wellness/2862/

How Arizona cities ranked nationally according to WalletHub:
1. Gilbert
4. Chandler
7. Scottsdale
9. Peoria
67. Mesa
68. Tempe
69. Phoenix
83. Glendale
112. Tucson
Is #9 not considered to be in the Top 10? Peoria gets no love.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Is #9 not considered to be in the Top 10? Peoria gets no love.
Now that the 303 is in, I heard that a massive development is coming in (all >>$1M). When northern Peoria grows up some more, I'm heading that direction. I love the topography. It's naturally beautiful.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:52 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,589,442 times
I love these "my car is bigger than yours" threads. My car is bigger, my frat is better, my house is newer, my neighbors are richer, my town has a Bentley dealer and yours doesn't, blah blah. Now carry on... I'm going to hike up a mountain.

Old 11-08-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I love these "my car is bigger than yours" threads. My car is bigger, my frat is better, my house is newer, my neighbors are richer, my town has a Bentley dealer and yours doesn't, blah blah. Now carry on... I'm going to hike up a mountain.
Well, my mountain is bigger than your mountain AND I can hike farther that you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area