Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 12:30 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Now, if we do get a contrived Little Italy, I wonder if it would more likely be within the City of Phoenix, in the East Valley, or in the West Valley?

I assume that the "contrived little Italy" in San Diego is just a concentration of restaurants and has nothing to do with a "significant Italian population" as you mentioned in the initial post. I don't know why there would or should be something like that here, so I don't care where it might be built. What would be the point-- people have their favorite Italian places all over the Valley now, and I have never heard of any actual suggestion or proposal that the Valley should have a contrived little Italy (or little India or little China). I'm sorry you don't have several choices concentrated in a small area to satisfy your cravings, but you'll just have to have your favorite spots here and there like everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 01:47 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Pink Jazz is not completely wrong. San Diego has a contrived Little Italy so Phoenix could definitely put something similar together.
It's not really contrived, it was an Italian fishing village that was kind of a slum and now is a bit improved with Italian restaurants and little Italy signage. I guess in a way it was sort of contrived as it got away from it's roots at some point and I believe San Diego came up with this plan to resurrect the Italian theme due to the horrible location wedged between the 5 freeway, extremely busy train tracks and also the airport approach. It has helped that area's gentrification. I don't see Arizona ever having a Little Italy or anything else,

Old 11-09-2015, 07:04 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,064 times
I WISH! It's about ambiance. It's not the same thing to have a standalone restaurant here and there.

It would be nice to have an area to stroll through that had more cultural stuff than just restaurants. A grocery, arts, etc. would be great.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:40 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,303 times
Is it really all that important to have a little Italy, little Mexico, little Havana, little Guatemala, little Ethiopia, little ________ fill in the blank?

Those kinds of urban neighborhoods might be quaint but they are highly segregated and are throwbacks to darker, harsher times for immigrants.

There are plenty of great mom and pop ethnic restaurants around the valley, less so in the suburban areas, but just as unique as anything in a little ______ kind of district.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:51 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I WISH! It's about ambiance. It's not the same thing to have a standalone restaurant here and there.

It would be nice to have an area to stroll through that had more cultural stuff than just restaurants. A grocery, arts, etc. would be great.
We do. Old Town Scottsdale. Restaurants, galleries, ice cream shops, toy stores, bars, museums, a weekly farmers market. Stroll away!

Old 11-10-2015, 04:49 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
We do. Old Town Scottsdale. Restaurants, galleries, ice cream shops, toy stores, bars, museums, a weekly farmers market. Stroll away!
Exactly.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:49 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,710,734 times
No, seems to me the great Italian migration is over.

We may, however, end up with a Little Syria, the way things are going at present.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:46 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I mean an Italian cultural area.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:55 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I mean an Italian cultural area.
As I stated previously, there usually has to be an established population of a certain ethnic group (often which immigrated here from another country) in order to have neighborhoods or districts such as Little Italy, etc. I'd think there would be more of a need for a Chinatown, and in a way we have that in the form of the Chinese Cultural Center ... however, it's still not a true Chinatown like you'd find in San Francisco or New York.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:26 AM

156 posts, read 219,258 times
I don't think there will ever be a ethnic, vibrant neighborhood in Phoenix ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area