Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 01:55 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
If grass naturally grew in Phoenix, I wouldn't have an argument with nice green lawns. But let's face it, grass isn't made for the desert. So, people have rocks and cactus in their yard, or maybe just natural desert vegetation. A little bit of drip irrigation and you're all set. Easy.
There are actually 70 different kinds of grass native to the sonoran desert, during the spring and late summer the desert is especially green. Here are some of them Grasses in the Sonoran Desert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 01:59 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
There are actually 70 different kinds of grass native to the sonoran desert, during the spring and late summer the desert is especially green. Here are some of them Grasses in the Sonoran Desert
Yes, but that's not usually what we think about when we think about green grass.

I wonder how much water is wasted every year by people who like to pretend that they're in Ohio.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:14 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Yes, but that's not usually what we think about when we think about green grass.

I wonder how much water is wasted every year by people who like to pretend that they're in Ohio.
I wonder how much time is wasted by the meddlers who seem to think it's their business what kind of landscape other people have in their yards? It's not your concern. If you really want to focus on water wasters, target your concerns toward agriculture, which consumes a far greater amount of water than all the grass lawns & golf courses combined. I'll keep my grass (which has a cooling affect and is much more aesthetically pleasing), and you can do whatever you want on your property.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:32 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Quote:

I'm from Michigan. If my lawn made me think that I was in Ohio I would tear it out.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:51 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I wonder how much time is wasted by the meddlers who seem to think it's their business what kind of landscape other people have in their yards? It's not your concern. If you really want to focus on water wasters, target your concerns toward agriculture, which consumes a far greater amount of water than all the grass lawns & golf courses combined. I'll keep my grass (which has a cooling affect and is much more aesthetically pleasing), and you can do whatever you want on your property.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I'm from Michigan. If my lawn made me think that I was in Ohio I would tear it out.
And THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-11-2015, 04:44 PM

281 posts, read 368,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
To be fair, none of them that I know of make good LAWNS. Point taken though.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:06 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The issue with CAP allotment is not whether or not we use our share. The problem is that IF Lake Mead continues to go down and the amount taken out needs to go down, Arizona is last in line behind California and Nevade. We would lose ours while their shares are untouched.
Can you share your source to prove this statement that AZ is "last in line"? That doesn't sound correct to me at all. I know Arizona made a "deal" with CA years ago in order for the CAP to be built. AZ is definitely not "last in line" behind Nevada.

One thing I do know is that NV has the smallest allotment of any of the lower Colo River water states. That's why they're furiously trying to build a massive water pipeline from NE NV all the way south to Vegas because they're almost using their full allotment of Colo Riv water and recycling as much as they can. Vegas is pissing off the old time ranchers in northern Nevada in the process because of this water grab.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:26 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,268,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Brown desert landscaping is very ugly. Green grass is where it's at!
Aw, dontcha love those pretty desert shrubs and trees?

I went with a drip system and desert landscaping; lovely desert blooms in Springtime and some now in Fall. Seems something is always in bloom in my yards--and I don't have to mow anything!

Of course everyone is different; I just happen to really love desert plants and flowers.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:36 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
Aw, dontcha love those pretty desert shrubs and trees?

I went with a drip system and desert landscaping; lovely desert blooms in Springtime and some now in Fall. Seems something is always in bloom in my yards--and I don't have to mow anything!

Of course everyone is different; I just happen to really love desert plants and flowers.
You're right. To each their own. However, I'm an Arizona desert guy as well!

Old 11-12-2015, 07:17 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Right now, I don't live in AZ, but I have in the past and I'm thinking of moving back. Anyway, all things being equal, I certainly wouldn't care who had a lawn and who didn't. But there are people who are very much afraid of the drought in that part of the country. It could last for years. It would be nice for those living there if they could still have running water for the foreseeable future. And yes, I do realize that something like 80% of the water is used by agriculture. Perhaps if push comes to shove that might change. But maybe not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area