Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 03:34 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,210,203 times

Advertisements

I don't like Blue Bell and can't understand why anyone would. I wanted to like it. You can get it here. The commercials sound good and have that country/southern vibe to it which would make you think it would be good. The issues I have with it is it is very runny and melts easily. Also the flavors are very generic and artificial tasting. A good ice cream needs that hard packed thick cream quality to it. That is definitely not Blue Bell or Breyers or any of the store bought ice creams.

In Texas, the best ice cream was Braums. Blue Bell was just kind of a generic grocery store bought ice cream. In the Valley, I still like Baskin Robbins. Baskin Robbins was not very common in Texas and the south despite it being a national chain. After coming back to Valley, I was pleased to have Baskin Robbins back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 10:22 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,435,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I don't like Blue Bell and can't understand why anyone would. I wanted to like it. You can get it here. The commercials sound good and have that country/southern vibe to it which would make you think it would be good. The issues I have with it is it is very runny and melts easily. Also the flavors are very generic and artificial tasting. A good ice cream needs that hard packed thick cream quality to it. That is definitely not Blue Bell or Breyers or any of the store bought ice creams.

In Texas, the best ice cream was Braums. Blue Bell was just kind of a generic grocery store bought ice cream. In the Valley, I still like Baskin Robbins. Baskin Robbins was not very common in Texas and the south despite it being a national chain. After coming back to Valley, I was pleased to have Baskin Robbins back.
Blue Bell makes a great Red Velvet Ice Cream, but my favorite ice cream is Haggen Daaz

Old 05-25-2017, 04:46 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,303,396 times
12 Best Places to Get Your Ice Cream Fix in Metro Phoenix | Phoenix New Times

12 good ice cream places including a shop which has a vegan and lactose intolerant offering (Nami)

Old 05-26-2017, 10:28 AM

22 posts, read 42,225 times
Default I already love Arizonians!

This is a hoot! This thread has 5 pages of responses. :-) I love Arizona!

Old 05-26-2017, 11:32 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,905,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonekillian View Post
This is a hoot! This thread has 5 pages of responses. :-) I love Arizona!
*ahem*

Its "Arizonans".

Blue Bell, Cold Stone, etc... meh. Those are just average ice cream manufacturers at best. The best ice cream ever was from Oberweis back in the Midwest. Just stating the facts, folks.

Drool away.
https://www.oberweis.com/ice-cream

Old 05-26-2017, 03:23 PM

812 posts, read 788,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
*ahem*
The best ice cream ever was from Oberweis back in the Midwest. Just stating the facts, folks.

Drool away.
https://www.oberweis.com/ice-cream
Hmmm, never heard of them. I'll have to try it next time I'm "back east".

Tillamook ice cream is pretty good and I've seen it in stores lately.

And speaking of the Midwest, don't forget Sanders Hot Fudge for the topping!

Old 05-26-2017, 05:44 PM

9,478 posts, read 12,215,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
Hmmm, never heard of them. I'll have to try it next time I'm "back east".

Tillamook ice cream is pretty good and I've seen it in stores lately.

And speaking of the Midwest, don't forget Sanders Hot Fudge for the topping!
I've never heard of that one either. I'm partial to Blue Bunny myself.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:30 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,303,396 times
Treats to beat the heat: 7 unique East Valley spots for cold dessert | Get Out | eastvalleytribune.com

Old 07-14-2017, 10:59 AM

549 posts, read 1,479,575 times
There's an Andy's Custard stand opening in Ahwatukee. I haven't ever tried them but they appear to be a small chain with good reviews (btw, if you get bad reviews on your ice cream shop you're doing something seriously wrong). I saw some employees inside last weekend, but the parking lot was still taped off. Hopefully they'll be open this weekend.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:40 AM

2,247 posts, read 3,027,401 times
Yes Oberweis is best. Ihave taken a liking to gelato here, however. My wife and I always hit up The Gelato Spot on Scottsdale Rd in Old Town for our date nights. Right nearby is an old school ice cream parlor called Sugar Bowl. I don't think that place has changed in 50 years. Can't vouch for their ice cream, though, as I haven't tried it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area