Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 01:00 PM

7,302 posts, read 12,223,701 times

Advertisements

From what I heard, the majority of hockey fans in the Phoenix area live in the East Valley, thus the Glendale location for the arena is inconvenient for the majority of the fanbase.

I was wondering, does anyone think Mesa would be a better location for the Coyotes? I know some would think Scottsdale would be more logical, but I think the Coyotes tried at one point to sell the idea of an arena in Scottsdale and the city voted it down. In Tempe, there are very few places an arena can be built due to being landlocked and mostly already developed. I'm not sure if Chandler or Gilbert would approve an arena either. Because of these limitations with other East Valley cities, I think Mesa would make the most sense for an East Valley location.

So, what does anyone think about an arena for the Coyotes in Mesa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 01:04 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,900,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
From what I heard, the majority of hockey fans in the Phoenix area live in the East Valley, thus the Glendale location for the arena is inconvenient for the majority of the fanbase.

I was wondering, does anyone think Mesa would be a better location for the Coyotes? I know some would think Scottsdale would be more logical, but I think the Coyotes tried at one point to sell the idea of an arena in Scottsdale and the city voted it down. In Tempe, there are very few places an arena can be built due to being landlocked and mostly already developed. I'm not sure if Chandler or Gilbert would approve an arena either. Because of these limitations with other East Valley cities, I think Mesa would make the most sense for an East Valley location.

So, what does anyone think about an arena for the Coyotes in Mesa?
No.

Scottsdale isn't logical neither is Mesa. There is a large city between Glendale and Mesa that has a basketball team, infrastructure and public transportation for events like sports. In fact, there have been talks that a certain basketball team in that city may be interested in doing a joint stadium in that city which is what really needs to happen.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
No.

Scottsdale isn't logical neither is Mesa. There is a large city between Glendale and Mesa that has a basketball team, infrastructure and public transportation for events like sports. In fact, there have been talks that a certain basketball team in that city may be interested in doing a joint stadium in that city which is what really needs to happen.
The problem is that Talking Sticks Resort Arena is not designed for hockey, and when the Coyotes played there, the sightlines were horrible. That is one of the main reasons why the Coyotes were desperate to move out to a hockey-specific arena.

And Mesa's public transportation is quite a bit better than Glendale; they have the light rail and significantly more bus ridership (third in the Valley behind Phoenix and Tempe).

Fact is, the majority of the fanbase lives in the East Valley, and Glendale is one of the worst locations for the majority of fans.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:14 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,900,341 times
Quote:
The problem is that Talking Sticks Resort Arena is not designed for hockey, and when the Coyotes played there, the sightlines were horrible. That is one of the main reasons why the Coyotes were desperate to move out to a hockey-specific arena.

And Mesa's public transportation is quite a bit better than Glendale; they have the light rail and significantly more bus ridership (third in the Valley behind Phoenix and Tempe).

Fact is, the majority of the fanbase lives in the East Valley, and Glendale is one of the worst locations for the majority of fans.
No disagreement there the location in Glendale is awful.

But a new joint stadium in Downtown Phoenix would be much more cost effective and better for fans all over the valley than Mesa which would disadvantage our growing West Valley.

https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2015/...y-desert-road/

And while Mesa is 3rd in bus ridership, Phoenix (the big city I mentioned) is 1st and should be the location, not Scottsdale and not Mesa. I figure by now we've all learned our lesson with suburban sports stadiums.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:26 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,222,788 times
If the joint arena is not built downtown (which is by far the best option) it would have to end up as a venture with the Salt River tribe and be on the res, as far south as possible to make it most accessible. It's not going to be in Mesa.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:12 PM

9,479 posts, read 12,228,416 times
No.

I wouldn't tell ANYONE to move to Mesa

Old 11-09-2015, 05:59 PM

24 posts, read 31,280 times
As long as they move to the East or Southeast Valley, I'll be happy.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:03 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,229,652 times
Mesa is pretty much a dead zone, like Glendale. No

Old 11-09-2015, 08:03 PM

So, between Mesa, Chandler, or Gilbert, which do you think it should be? Scottsdale is out since they voted it down a long time ago, and Tempe has very little (if any) room to build a new arena.

Chandler and Gilbert are not big in the sports scene. Mesa at least has two spring training baseball facilities.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:24 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,246,310 times
Quote:
So, between Mesa, Chandler, or Gilbert, which do you think it should be?
None of the above! I see three possibly options for the Yotes. 1. Move back to downtown Phoenix and share a new arena with the Suns that is both basketball and hockey friendly (probably the best option). 2. Move to the Salt River Reservation, right off the 101 where a new arena will be shared with the Suns and Coyotes. 3. Move out of Arizona. Basically what observer53 said, except for the last option.

Last edited by cjseliga; 11-09-2015 at 08:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area