Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 10:49 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHeather View Post
This is very helpful. My husband has a baseball bat that he has against the back door as well as an air horn just in case. The neighbor said to just yell at them..that's what he did and the coyote ran off. He suggested that the coyote probably smelled our dogs and thought it might be worth checking out. Not comforting, but good to know.
Yes, they are crafty masters of opportunity. Fish and Game has a whole bunch of tips on them too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 10:51 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
Closest I ever got to a coyote was while I was trail running once. He popped out from a desert wash and was two feet away from me. It made a 180 degree turn as quickly as it could and high tailed away from me. Coyotes don't like humans.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:22 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Closest I ever got to a coyote was while I was trail running once. He popped out from a desert wash and was two feet away from me. It made a 180 degree turn as quickly as it could and high tailed away from me. Coyotes don't like humans.
Closest I got to one was when there was a family of them living in or near the ASU Research Park in South Tempe. My dog and I came through a pedestrian entrance on the west side of the property, and there it was, 4 or 5 feet away. It wasn't interested in getting closer to me or my 90 pound dog, and we headed off in opposite directions. My dog looked back over her shoulder a couple of times at first, and that was the end of it. Never saw any of them again.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:35 AM

590 posts, read 714,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHeather View Post
Hi everyone,

My husband and I just moved into our new home in the Desert Ridge area. We have 3 cocker spaniels who weigh 27-30 lbs.

We were advised that there are coyotes in the area, but coming into the subdivision is rare. Well, last night (our first night in the house), we had a knock on the door at 10PM. A neighbor wanted to let us know that he had a coyote in his driveway just a few minutes before and since he knew we had smaller dogs, he wanted to warn us to be vigilant.

We plan on taking our boys out in the back yard on their leash when it gets dark, but is there anything else that we can do to protect our pups and/or prevent a coyote from coming into our yard?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Buy an AR15 with an 18 inch barrel and a good scope that works well at night. Post up at night time and pick off coyotes one by one....

EDIT: and I'm not trying to "troll" either. What I said above is really how things are done regarding coyote populations that are either out of check or coyotes that pose an immediate threat to humans and/or livestock.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:43 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
Buy an AR15 with an 18 inch barrel and a good scope that works well at night. Post up at night time and pick off coyotes one by one....

EDIT: and I'm not trying to "troll" either. What I said above is really how things are done regarding coyote populations that are either out of check or coyotes that pose an immediate threat to humans and/or livestock.

Sorry, but in the area where they live, and anywhere in the city limits, I don't believe that's legal. Pets aren't livestock, and coyotes are not interested in humans.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:43 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Quote:

Except that would be quite illegal to do in a residential neighborhood, unless the coyote was presenting an immediate threat. "Posting up" and picking them off one by one isn't dealing with an immediate threat, it's hunting.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:47 AM

590 posts, read 714,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Sorry, but in the area where they live, and anywhere in the city limits, that's not legal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Except that would be quite illegal to do in a residential neighborhood, unless the coyote was presenting an immediate threat.
I didn't realize the OP lived in an actual residential neighborhood. Suburbs doesn't necessarily equate residential neighborhood to me. Also, you can't just shoe a coyote away with an air horn or a broom or a flashlight...they'll just keep coming back.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:09 PM

323 posts, read 346,325 times
Quote:
I didn't realize the OP lived in an actual residential neighborhood. Suburbs doesn't necessarily equate residential neighborhood to me. Also, you can't just shoe a coyote away with an air horn or a broom or a flashlight...they'll just keep coming back.
Soooo...if air horns, brooms and flashlights don't work, what do I do if a coyote is in my yard???

Any way to keep them OUT of my yard altogether (other than keeping garbage away - probably move from inside fence to garage?)? Like a deterrent of some sort?

Old 11-17-2015, 12:32 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
I once knew a guy in AZ that would urinate around the perimeter of his property. He swore that it deterred all animals, snakes, pack rats what have you. I don't know how effective this is or if it even works at all, but it sure would be fun to try. Maybe he spent too much time in the desert.

Get a big dog or an attack/guard llama. Coyotes hate llamas. Or you can build an 8-10 foot fence. I've seen them clear a 6 foot fence like it wasn't even there.

This site claims wolf urine works How to Keep Coyotes Away from Campsites or Homesteads: 8 Steps maybe that crazy desert guy was on to something .

Old 11-17-2015, 12:47 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Your best course of action is to never let your dogs outside unattended. Coyotes aren't likely to enter your yard if they see you. Which is not to say I'm minimizing the risk. Stay near the dogs. We hear regularly about coyotes attacking dogs up here in Anthem. I live right against the Daisy Mountain Preserve (desert) with a view fence in the rear, so we hear coyotes just about every night and see them often. Our vet even warned us that the biggest risks to dogs here are coyotes and rattlesnakes. In over three and a half years we have not seen a coyote in our yard but we have seen them come up to the fence and look in. However, we've only had the dog for about two months. She's still a puppy but she's going to be a moose judging by the way she's growing. I have not yet seen a coyote while out with the dog in the yard. One night (pre-dog) I was awakened by the sound of a loud splash followed by what sounded like an animal going over the fence. I didn't see anything but my guess is a coyote fell in the pool and took off running, which means it was in the yard. If it wasn't a coyote, it was something. I have motion sensor spotlights in the yard that are on every night and light up the whole yard. Is your yard surrounded by block wall or do you have a fence? I keep an empty soda can loosely filled with pennies handy to throw at any coyotes I see to scare them off. I call it my coyote grenade. That's one of the Fish and Game suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area