Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 10:10 AM

299 posts, read 439,642 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Maricopa County, AZ (Gilbert) to attend ASU for graduate school and begin my professional career. I've found that jobs are a LOT easier to find here than the San Francisco Bay Area and it's been a great place for me to begin my professional career and boost my resume.

Despite this, I'm definitely looking to move back somewhere cooler once I finish grad school (I'm thinking Colorado, Oregon, or Washington/ Seattle).

The point of this post, though is that I've found myself struggling in Arizona. Everything is SO spread out and there doesn't seem to be any central area Downtown where young twenty-somethings like myself can hangout. Mill Ave. is okay and so is Downtown Scottsdale, but even those don't have a ton of people hanging-out on weekends. It seems like people mostly stay home. Am I wrong for thinking this?! Or am I just going to the wrong places?

Are there any other places that locals suggest that I can visit to feel a greater sense of community? It seems like San Francisco is FILLED with stuff to do and I just am not feeling that in Phoenix.

How can I survive the next three years without going bonkers?! Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 11:30 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
I recently moved to Maricopa County, AZ (Gilbert) to attend ASU for graduate school and begin my professional career. I've found that jobs are a LOT easier to find here than the San Francisco Bay Area and it's been a great place for me to begin my professional career and boost my resume.

Despite this, I'm definitely looking to move back somewhere cooler once I finish grad school (I'm thinking Colorado, Oregon, or Washington/ Seattle).

The point of this post, though is that I've found myself struggling in Arizona. Everything is SO spread out and there doesn't seem to be any central area Downtown where young twenty-somethings like myself can hangout. Mill Ave. is okay and so is Downtown Scottsdale, but even those don't have a ton of people hanging-out on weekends. It seems like people mostly stay home. Am I wrong for thinking this?! Or am I just going to the wrong places?

Are there any other places that locals suggest that I can visit to feel a greater sense of community? It seems like San Francisco is FILLED with stuff to do and I just am not feeling that in Phoenix.

How can I survive the next three years without going bonkers?! Lol.
The Valley IS filled with stuff to do, but it is a very different place than SF, which by its geography is very tightly compressed. No, people don't "mostly stay home". No, there are not any "cute, more unique towns in Maricopa County" which would give you more than what you've found in downtown Tempe, downtown Scottsdale, etc. I'd add downtown Phoenix, with events like First Fridays, etc. But you are not going to find downtown SFO here, so you may need to modify how you approach your social life. Check out calendars of events online. You can also find like minded people through meetup.com groups geared to special interests, or volunteering, or taking a class that interests you.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:45 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
<snip>Despite this, I'm definitely looking to move back somewhere cooler once I finish grad school (I'm thinking Colorado, Oregon, or Washington/ Seattle).<snip>
Who knows? Maybe by the time you graduate Arizona will have legalized marijuana too.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:04 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
Phoenix metro is a "town" of about 5 million people, so I hope you don't find everyone in one compressed area. Would be a bear to find a place to park.

Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler all have their own downtown areas with lots of bars, restaurants and some artsy shops. Chandler has an art walk on the 3rd Friday of every month.

Get out there and try again.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:00 PM

32 posts, read 47,468 times
Uuhh your definitely going to the wrong places. I'm a young 20 something too. Mill and old town Scottsdale have tons of people hanging out on the weekends. Maybe your going at the wrong time? Idk. I hang out in downtown phoenix. Its different than mill and Scottsdale because not everything is on one strip or clustered. But still tons of people on the weekends.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:03 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
San Francisco population density = 17,247/sq. mi

Phoenix population density = 3165/sq. mi.

doesn't justify that people "stay at home", but might explain why there aren't people walking all over a neighborhood, as in denser metro areas....

Old 11-23-2015, 04:11 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Compared to SF Phoenix is a bloated suburb. It's a lifestyle thing that I gather might not fit you. Although you might enjoy places more centrally located than Gilbert. Chandler has a decent downtown area, Tempe is generally the spot for ASU Students. Old Town isn't my cup of tea but it's pretty busy at night. Central Phoenix is pretty vibrant and artsy if you're into that thing. I chose to live by the rail. There's a certain level of loneliness that comes via auto commuting. I bet you're feeling it.

There are some neat restaurants in Chandler. I'm a proponent of The Perch myself, but I'm a beer nerd.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The Valley IS filled with stuff to do, but it is a very different place than SF, which by its geography is very tightly compressed. No, people don't "mostly stay home". No, there are not any "cute, more unique towns in Maricopa County" which would give you more than what you've found in downtown Tempe, downtown Scottsdale, etc. I'd add downtown Phoenix, with events like First Fridays, etc. But you are not going to find downtown SFO here, so you may need to modify how you approach your social life. Check out calendars of events online. You can also find like minded people through meetup.com groups geared to special interests, or volunteering, or taking a class that interests you.
Thanks so much! Great advice. I realized I kind of approached it in a weird-way comparing two VERY different cities. San Francisco is obviously much more urban and compact/ less spread out. I guess it's just kind of a culture shock. I miss the nature around San Francisco, but I agree that Phoenix is definitely growing and that if you look, there is plenty to do. Maybe I've just noticed less people out because Phoenix is so spread-out and doesn't really have a central area.

Thanks again. I appreciate the advice.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Who knows? Maybe by the time you graduate Arizona will have legalized marijuana too.
LOLZ. Doubt it

Old 11-23-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Phoenix metro is a "town" of about 5 million people, so I hope you don't find everyone in one compressed area. Would be a bear to find a place to park.

Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler all have their own downtown areas with lots of bars, restaurants and some artsy shops. Chandler has an art walk on the 3rd Friday of every month.

Get out there and try again.
Thanks so much! Out of what I've visited, I've liked Old Town Scottsdale, Old-Town Gilbert (or is it Downtown?? I can't remember, lol), and Mill Avenue. I definitely agree those places have the best nightlife/ artsy shops. Downtown Chandler (near Chop-Shop) was very cute too.

Arizona definitely has a lot to offer, I just think it's very different from how San Francisco is set-up and it's definitely been a bit of a shock. I also just about went crazy from the summer 120 degree heat! How do you all deal with that?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area