Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 10:26 AM

299 posts, read 440,014 times

Advertisements

What is crime in Phoenix like compared to San Francisco/ Bay Area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 11:33 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
What is crime in Phoenix like compared to San Francisco/ Bay Area?

That's a VERY broad question. What are you really asking? I'm sure you can find statistics online, which I would be quoting to you if I looked it up myself. Are you talking metro Phoenix, or just Phoenix (you can find the statistics either way, I think). A little more information about what you are really asking would help.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
That's a VERY broad question. What are you really asking? I'm sure you can find statistics online, which I would be quoting to you if I looked it up myself. Are you talking metro Phoenix, or just Phoenix (you can find the statistics either way, I think). A little more information about what you are really asking would help.
Lol! yes.... I very much agree, I unfortunately phrased that poorly.

The question just kind of popped up in my head and I decided to ask it. Yeah, I meant Metro-Phoenix VS. SF, really.

I am from SF and I notice a LOT more car crashes here than in San Francisco. I also have noticed that Phoenix is a lot cleaner and that while there are homeless people here. I just kind of wanted to know what people, from personal experiences, have felt crime-wise. Do you feel safe in Phoenix?

As a 20-something I sometimes feel very unsafe on the light-rail/ walking in Downtown Phoenix, but I could say the same in certain parts of SF.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:01 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,303 times
Quote:

The question just kind of popped up in my head and I decided to ask it. Yeah, I meant Metro-Phoenix VS. SF, really.

I am from SF and I notice a LOT more car crashes here than in San Francisco. I also have noticed that Phoenix is a lot cleaner and that while there are homeless people here. I just kind of wanted to know what people, from personal experiences, have felt crime-wise. Do you feel safe in Phoenix?

As a 20-something I sometimes feel very unsafe on the light-rail/ walking in Downtown Phoenix, but I could say the same in certain parts of SF.
There are more car accidents here because of more cars per-capita than San Francisco.

You need to consider Phoenix is a heavily spread-out vehicle-centric metropolitan area but San Francisco is much less so and more condensed.

Homelessness is a problem here but panhandling is a worse problem, many panhandlers are streetcorner scam artists pretending to be down and out.

Plenty of crime happens here but some areas are worse than others, you just need to look at the crime statistics and stay clear of the areas with higher crime.

I always felt safe the few times I've been downtown.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:34 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:

I've lived in the metro area almost all my life. I've felt safe everywhere I've lived. I feel much safer walking downtown than I did in the past, as there are just more people downtown in the evenings than there used to be. There are parts of SF I've found myself in in daylight where I didn't feel comfortable. I have NEVER felt unsafe on the light rail, even late at night. Sit in the front car near the call button, if you are concerned. I don't know exactly where you have been walking, so I can't comment.

I agree that Phoenix is cleaner overall than SF. There are more car crashes here than in SF perhaps just because there are more cars, and more streets with higher speed limits.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I've lived in the metro area almost all my life. I've felt safe everywhere I've lived. I feel much safer walking downtown than I did in the past, as there are just more people downtown in the evenings than there used to be. There are parts of SF I've found myself in in daylight where I didn't feel comfortable. I have NEVER felt unsafe on the light rail, even late at night. Sit in the front car near the call button, if you are concerned. I don't know exactly where you have been walking, so I can't comment.

I agree that Phoenix is cleaner overall than SF. There are more car crashes here than in SF perhaps just because there are more cars, and more streets with higher speed limits.
I take the light-rail every day. I have never felt "unsafe" but more-so uncomfortable. A lot of belligerently drunk/ drugged out people get on it, but as a 22 year old female, I've never really felt unsafe. I agree... if you mostly leave it alone and stay on your phone- it's fine.

I worked near N 16 street & Van Burren in Downtown Phoenix... I did feel very unsafe walking in that area.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
There are more car accidents here because of more cars per-capita than San Francisco.

You need to consider Phoenix is a heavily spread-out vehicle-centric metropolitan area but San Francisco is much less so and more condensed.

Homelessness is a problem here but panhandling is a worse problem, many panhandlers are streetcorner scam artists pretending to be down and out.

Plenty of crime happens here but some areas are worse than others, you just need to look at the crime statistics and stay clear of the areas with higher crime.

I always felt safe the few times I've been downtown.
Just from observation, I did notice, though that homelessness here was a LOT less noticeable then homelessness in SF/ Berkeley (where I'm from). Maybe it's because, as you mentioned, Phoenix is much more spread out.

Yeah, I see plenty of crime here on the news. I live in Gilbert, so in general, where I live and spend most of my time, I feel VERY safe.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:55 AM

44 posts, read 53,534 times
I never feel scared for my life. It was slightly uncomfortable to have some guy walk up brandishing a machete though. It seems like sidewalks not very populated in PHX so it can get a bit lonely. I get the feeling if you run in to the wrong people there will be no witnesses.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyButtons View Post
I never feel scared for my life. It was slightly uncomfortable to have some guy walk up brandishing a machete though. It seems like sidewalks not very populated in PHX so it can get a bit lonely. I get the feeling if you run in to the wrong people there will be no witnesses.
YES. It feels very isolated here... its a city of 1 million but I felt so much more surrounded by others in SF.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:21 AM

5 posts, read 6,357 times
The biggest problem around here are the crackhead thieves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area