Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 08:30 PM

100 posts, read 103,719 times

Advertisements

Hi. This City Data Forum sure is a great resource. Thank you all for contributing so much useful information. I'm considering moving to Sun City (the original) from Florida and I have these questions:

1. I'll be visiting Phoenix on a fairly regular basis, so I'm looking for the largest, most active retirement community that's closest to Phoenix. Would that indeed be Sun City?

2. Speaking of driving to Phoenix, does Route 60 have a series of traffic lights or is it more like an interstate?

3. Ahwatukee looks like it may be a bit closer to Phoenix, but its Rec Center doesn't appear to be centrally located. It looks like it's separate from the community and only the houses on the first few nearby streets would be within a 15 or so minute walk. Is that right?

4. I have a car, but I prefer not to use it. I'd be getting around Sun City on foot, bike or my manual scooter, so this raises the question of terrain slope. Is Sun City fairly flat or is it hilly in parts?

5. I saw a picture of someone paddle boarding on a lake in what I think was Sun City. Is paddle boarding allowed there?

6. Here in Florida, the universities and community colleges sometimes bring classes to the larger retirement communities. Is that the case with Sun City?

7. I'm an avid pickleball player and could probably play every day, but for me it's got to be indoors if it's above 85 or so degrees. Glad to see that Sun City seems to be the pickleball capital of Arizona! I read somewhere that Sun City has, if memory serves, eight outdoor courts and six "covered" courts. Does anyone know what "covered" means? Are they fully enclosed, i.e., "indoors"?

8. Does Sun City have a gay/lesbian group? I saw that Sun City West was trying to start one up. Are there many LGBT people in Sun City? Are gay people pretty well integrated and accepted?

Thanks for any and all input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 10:04 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpoolwalrus View Post
Hi. This City Data Forum sure is a great resource. Thank you all for contributing so much useful information. I'm considering moving to Sun City (the original) from Florida and I have these questions:

1. I'll be visiting Phoenix on a fairly regular basis, so I'm looking for the largest, most active retirement community that's closest to Phoenix. Would that indeed be Sun City? Yes or Sun City West.

2. Speaking of driving to Phoenix, does Route 60 have a series of traffic lights or is it more like an interstate? Series of traffic lights spread out.

3. Ahwatukee looks like it may be a bit closer to Phoenix, but its Rec Center doesn't appear to be centrally located. It looks like it's separate from the community and only the houses on the first few nearby streets would be within a 15 or so minute walk. Is that right? Don't know.

4. I have a car, but I prefer not to use it. I'd be getting around Sun City on foot, bike or my manual scooter, so this raises the question of terrain slope. Is Sun City fairly flat or is it hilly in parts? Flat as a pancake. A lot of people use golf carts for getting around within the Sun Cities

5. I saw a picture of someone paddle boarding on a lake in what I think was Sun City. Is paddle boarding allowed there? There are 2 lakes, one private and one public. Both have paddle boaters.

6. Here in Florida, the universities and community colleges sometimes bring classes to the larger retirement communities. Is that the case with Sun City? Those educational places are nearby, sometimes classes are offered in the Sun Cities..

7. I'm an avid pickleball player and could probably play every day, but for me it's got to be indoors if it's above 85 or so degrees. Glad to see that Sun City seems to be the pickleball capital of Arizona! I read somewhere that Sun City has, if memory serves, eight outdoor courts and six "covered" courts. Does anyone know what "covered" means? Are they fully enclosed, i.e., "indoors"? Covered means a shade screen cover or metal cover on an outdoor court to help keep the sun off of the players..

8. Does Sun City have a gay/lesbian group? I saw that Sun City West was trying to start one up. Are there many LGBT people in Sun City? Are gay people pretty well integrated and accepted? Have no answers for these questions. If they do they're not very open.

Thanks for any and all input!
See answers in bold.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:28 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
3. 7 rec centers spread throughout Sun City. Go to sunaz.com for more info.

6. Sun City has Lifelong Learning Classes 5 months a year. Some instructors are people with an interest in the subject and some are retired college professors. Rio Salado which is a couple miles away also has Lifelong Learning classes. For Sun City the cost is $20 a year and you can take up to I think 15 classes or lectures a semester.

7. There is a pickleball dome. It is a building but the sides are open and sometimes/ sometimes not covered with a tarp like material. 8 courts are indoor. It is at the Marinette Rec Center. That just reopened this year. There are also more outdoor courts there and at another rec center. Go to robertporterconstruction.com. Click on blog for pictures of the indoor courts.

8. There are gay people here but I am unaware of any group. I only know a few gays and they don't really talk about it good or bad.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

8 courts are indoor. It is at the Marinette Rec Center. That just reopened this year. There are also more outdoor courts there and at another rec center. Go to robertporterconstruction.com. Click on blog for pictures of the indoor courts.
Wow! That pickleball complex is amazing! I've never seen anything like it!

Old 11-29-2015, 11:44 PM

Clarifying paddle boarding: Paddle boarding involves standing on a board and paddling side to side. This is different from pedal boating. Any sightings of paddle boarders yet in Sun City?

Old 11-29-2015, 11:55 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpoolwalrus View Post
Clarifying paddle boarding: Paddle boarding involves standing on a board and paddling side to side. This is different from pedal boating. Any sightings of paddle boarders yet in Sun City?
If this is what you are describing as paddle boarding then I have never seen this on the lakes in Sun City. I've seen surfboards where people lay on them and paddle with their arms.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:24 AM

416 posts, read 260,242 times
Yes, a few years back we passed paddle boarding as an accepted practice. In one of the promotional video's you must have seen, former RCSC board member Larry Klein, who lives on Viewpoint Lake, was shown on his paddle board so we figured we better get cracking and made it one of the things the lake can be used for. There's also folks who like to kayak on the lake as well.

The Pickleball Pavilion is spectacular and is drawing rave reviews from users. Several major tournaments have been held there since opening and it stays amazingly cool during the hotter summer months. Just staying out of the sun makes a world of difference.

The numbers of both single and gay couples is growing. No clubs yet, but they integrate into the community with no problems. Sun City is all about becoming a part of the community and the biggest solution is to join in and simply be a part of it.

We moved here 12 years ago and there clearly are more bikes and motor scooters than there were back then. W-n is spot on, golf cars have always been a popular mode of getting about, but the evolution to even cheaper modes like the scooters and motorized bikes is growing.

The Sun City visitor center runs a bus tour that has become very popular for visitors to get a quick look at what we have to offer. Not sure of the schedule but you can sign up for it on their website.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:50 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Ahwatukee is not an age restricted or "retirement" community, I'm not sure what led you to think so.

You are already getting good info on Sun City from people who are familiar with it. Good luck to you!

Old 11-30-2015, 09:00 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Ahwatukee has a retirement village for seniors over 55.

Ahwatukee Retirement Village | Phoenix, AZ | 55 Places Retirement Communities

Old 11-30-2015, 09:01 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Ahwatukee has a retirement village for seniors over 55.

Ahwatukee Retirement Village | Phoenix, AZ | 55 Places Retirement Communities

I understand, but it's not the same as Sun City by any means. especially since the houses are "spread throughout the Ahwatukee Foothills" and therefore must be interspersed with non-55+ residents. Not even close to comparable to Sun City, though it is closer to central Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area