Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 09:07 AM

7,321 posts, read 12,292,965 times

Advertisements

The recent thread about those wishing to bring back the heat made me think about this: could builders market homes without heating systems here in the Phoenix area?

While I know Phoenix isn't a tropical paradise like Miami, in past threads, it appears that most users on these forums do not turn on their heating systems and rely solely on blankets. While the sample of users here may not necessarily represent the Phoenix area as a whole, I think this is still a significant portion of the population.

Rather than installing an air conditioner+furnace or a heat pump+air handler, builders could save money by installing an air conditioner+air handler, with no heating whatsoever, to market to those who never turn on their heating system to save money on buying a new home for a feature that they would never use. Does anyone think homes without heating systems would be marketable here in the Phoenix area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 09:21 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,267,649 times
Who doesn't use their heat at all and relies solely on blankets? I don't recall anyone saying that.

When I wake up and it is 60 in my place, I turn on the heat. I don't run it for 5 solid months like I did in the Midwest, but it is still necessary.

Not installing a furnace would be silly, even if the a rare person NEVER uses it. Come resale time, it would be a big issue.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Who doesn't use their heat at all and relies solely on blankets? I don't recall anyone saying that.

When I wake up and it is 60 in my place, I turn on the heat. I don't run it for 5 solid months like I did in the Midwest, but it is still necessary.

Not installing a furnace would be silly, even if the a rare person NEVER uses it. Come resale time, it would be a big issue.
There was this poll I made in the past:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...y-start-2.html

I understand that this is not a scientific survey, however, it seems to indicate that a significant portion of the population doesn't use their heating systems at all.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:33 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,939,330 times
I've been using mine, my house was 58 this morning!

Old 12-01-2015, 10:24 AM

4,066 posts, read 5,120,252 times
I really don't think it would be much of a cost savings to the builder...what...$2000? Maybe?

The bigger question is when will new home builders put on solar panels as standard. Or incorporate them into their design of the homes.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:39 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,731,907 times
There are a few folks here who claim that they never turn on the heat, wear shorts all winter etc., but they are by no means the majority.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:44 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,718,403 times
People are always full of it when it comes to questions like this, I don't believe anyone who says they never use the heat in Phoenix. Even if they rarely use it, they do turn it on probably more than they remember. People get so focused on the hot weather here it's like winter doesn't even exist. My heat has been on every single winter I've lived here. Apartment or House, Central City or Suburbs. I can deal with it getting down to the low 60's in the house, below that it's downright miserable.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:52 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,454,092 times
I could easily live without a heating system here. In about 6 years, we've had our heat on probably only twice, where the mornings got down to the high 20's. Not a save money thing for us as it's dirt cheap to heat(we have a heat pump) but we just don't feel the need for it/comfortable without it 99.999% of the time.

However, I do know people who have their heat on most of the winter here. I've noticed they are often older people. When I go into a house like this, I feel like falling asleep it's so stuffy. Funny how an artificially heated home in the high 60's/70's feels so stuffy vs a similiar natural air temp. But I think the takeaway is builders need to be aware of this demand. Given A/C is standard, I think installing at least a heat pump as standard, which is very efficient here, is a good business decision for builders.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:04 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,951,235 times
It wouldn't save any money, a heat pump doesn't really have many extra components beyond the regular HVAC. Plus manufacturers would have to make a product without the heat pump, so you would lose volume. In the end, it would cost more.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post

However, I do know people who have their heat on most of the winter here. I've noticed they are often older people. When I go into a house like this, I feel like falling asleep it's so stuffy. Funny how an artificially heated home in the high 60's/70's feels so stuffy vs a similiar natural air temp. But I think the takeaway is builders need to be aware of this demand. Given A/C is standard, I think installing at least a heat pump as standard, which is very efficient here, is a good business decision for builders.
I know heat pumps are installed by default if there is no gas service, however, it seems that in recent years many tract home builders have returned to using gas furnaces in homes with gas service after experiments with heat pumps in the mid/late 2000s. Perhaps it could be due to customer feedback, since many prefer the quick warmth of a gas furnace.

Custom home builders, on the other hand, will nearly always use heat pumps regardless of gas service availability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area