Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 11:38 AM

17 posts, read 70,201 times

Advertisements

Ok I know this is where our group really shines. I want to WOW my wife with the awesome-ness of the Valley. We are thinking about a relocation from Iowa and I want AZ over Texas and are coming for a visit for 10 days around New Years. She is a city girl from Moscow who has traveled the world and lived a high life and loves the Mediterranean, but I think Arizona can impress her with it's combination of weather, city-vibe, upscaled-ness, and desert beauty. She loved Sedona when we went there before but we haven't spent much time in the valley itself. I come back to Phx/Scottsdale every couple of years to visit family but I haven't kept up with the restaurant scene and new developments. We don't drink but we like to go out for coffee and tea and desserts but I am open to bars as well if it's worth it for the ambiance or view. Which spots in the valley have the best views, best patios, and best authentic unique experiences. Places with scenic vistas, close to rock formations (maybe cave creek?), great gardens/waterfalls anything remarkable would be great.

Upscale shopping ideas would be good too. Keeping in mind Moscow is the city with the highest number of Billionaires in recent memory. I was thinking that Kierland area or Scottsdale Fashion Square but any other ideas would be great

We will be on the north side of Phoenix/Scottsdale but we love taking adventures to see parts of city and try new places. For example - We heard there is a place with Chinese Fried Buns we are already mapping out (to die for if you get a good one). We will be there around New Years so hopefully it won't be too chilly. Just think if you were trying to show someone who had been all over the world the truly unique and interesting things in Phoenix. Places I've liked in Phoenix include a range from the Mission to Elainas, Mariscos Sonora to Macayos, Zinc Bistro to Harlows. Any recommendations for Georgian food (ex-soviet republic not state). I know there is some cross-over into Russian or Turkish but I don't think there are any Georgian spots in Phoenix. (Delicious food if you have not tried it). Thanks all!

Last edited by gurutogo; 12-11-2015 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 12:47 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
I understand that you want to impress her, but dont sugar coat things. Take her to the snazzy spots, but also show her the rest of the Valley. Its only fair. If I was planning to move family here, I would show them real life, not the high life only. I wouldnt tempt them with all those fancy things, when in reality they would most likely end up in yawnfest suburbia, surrounded by strip malls and run-of-the-mill restaurants. You can go ahead and dazzle them with Paradise Valley and Carefree, etc, but most people here dont live anything like that lifestyle. You would do good to show her an area you were thinking about moving to and/or can afford.

With that being said, if you can afford high end restaurants and shopping all the time, Kierland and Scottsdale Quarters are fun to shop in, as well as Scottsdale and Biltmore Fashion Squares. Desert Ridge isnt quite as upscale, but its beautiful, IMO. Dont ask me about high end restaurants, I dont ever eat at em. I find them to be a gigantic waste of money. hahaha

Scenic vistas in the Valley arent as plentiful as youd think (unless you want to hike up a mountain). The best one, IMO, is the one off Shea, just as you enter town (it actually might still be Scottdale). Its on the right hand side as you head East, and has a pull off for cars. You have a good view of parts of the Valley. The other place I like to drive up to is right in Scottsdale. Head West on Cheney, right off Scottsdale Road, and drive up until you cant drive up any further, youll run into gated neighborhoods there. Hang a right there at the gates and take in the view, especially at night. You can see most of PV and Scottsdale, with views all the way up to Pinnacle Peak and the majestic McDowells. Plus, the homes in that area of PV are simply gorgeous.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:14 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,209 times
The view from the patio of the steakhouse at the Phoenician is pretty grand. The view from the top level or two of the Talking Stick Resort is pretty cool although you're farther from downtown.

You can also just drive up the side of Camelback Mountain if you take some of the residential streets off of Camelback Road east of 44th Street corridor and west of the resorts. Some great views up there although no parking lots since it's residential.

I second Big Cats on the view from the western edge of Fountain Hills there along Shea Blvd. You can also get some nice views from the northeast valley like up near where Pinnacle Peak Patio was coming back down Happy Valley Rd toward Pima.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:16 PM

Thanks I'm definitely not sugar coating it and I agree she will see the areas in North Phoenix, Tempe, and Scottsdale where I usually spend all my time. I just want to show her that there's more than just strip malls and highways in Phoenix. Maybe downtown as well since it's been becoming more vibrant over the past few years..

Old 12-11-2015, 01:17 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,283 times
I'm with Big Cats in that you don't want to bait-and-switch, so you may want to stick with the more authentic things (i.e. day-to-day life). That's happened to me (not moving specifically, but other things) and it really does have the potential to make her resent you if she feels cheated or deceived. If those high-end shops aren't in your daily life budget, you may not want to focus on those because people tend to splurge a bit more on vacations. If there's a place that really doesn't offer a good view, but she would prefer it to a place overlooking the city, I would take her to the former. In this case, you need to be more romantic, less deceptive.

I don't believe there's a Georgian restaurant in Phoenix, and Russian cuisine isn't very well represented. While you'll sacrifice a vista, my favorite patio restaurants are Los Dos Molinos on Camelback and Wild Thaiger on Central. Likewise, my preferred coffee shops are the Lux on Central (if you want to brave its immense popularity) and Copper Star on 7th Avenue. For authenticity, I'd go for Central Phoenix (not just downtown), but that's because it has more character than the newer suburban developments. My favorite viewpoint is McDowell westbound when it reaches its apex in Papago Park.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:18 PM

Great idea on Camelback, the last time we were in town I did take her up to see the city lights at night from the side of the mountain.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:24 PM

Definitely not a bait and switch but I know Phoenix is not as brown and lifeless as it might appear on first look and I also believe it has offerings that rival some bigger cities. Keep em coming, great suggestions so far!

Old 12-11-2015, 01:43 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,283 times
It might not be your intention as a bait-and-switch, but what matters is how she perceives it, especially if you're pushing for the move and she feels she gets a distorted sense of reality.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:55 PM

Yup gotcha, we will be all over the city so she will be able to see it for it's good and bad sides. AT this point anything is better than Iowa and I love the outdoor offerings in Arizona over Texas in my mind there is no comparison. The economy is where Texas supposedly has Phoenix beat. We go to Chicago on a regular basis so we see the extremes of both sides and she's very smart so I doubt I would be able to trick her even if I wanted to I'm just looking for the scenic restaurants and spots that make the city stand out from other cities.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:03 PM

I found a pretty good thread on Yelp but its a few years old now.

Valley Patios: Best Atmosphere, Best People Watching, Best Food? | Phoenix | Yelp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area