Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many years until downtown Phoenix becomes a destination spot for people in the valley?
5 years 26 34.67%
10 years 15 20.00%
over 10 years 10 13.33%
Won't happen... 24 32.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 05:30 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,954,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
We never had that problem when the Stapleton Airport in Denver was demolished and moved, and look at our skyline it boomed. The infill at Stapleton turned it into another subdivision. Can you imagine what kind of infill Sky Harbor would be if the airport moved?
The pollution would be more manageable too. I always liked the Eloy idea that they used to throw around. One mega airport to service Tucson and Phoenix near Eloy. But alas, it will never happen Sky Harbor is too nice now. and TIA has grown and is updating slowly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 12:19 AM

3,407 posts, read 4,628,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
The pollution would be more manageable too. I always liked the Eloy idea that they used to throw around. One mega airport to service Tucson and Phoenix near Eloy. But alas, it will never happen Sky Harbor is too nice now. and TIA has grown and is updating slowly.
Building a new Phoenix International Airport near Eloy is roughly 60 miles out, 1 hour away not counting traffic. They should of acquired land from the reservation somewhere between Maricopa and Casa Grande near I-10 and built another freeway to the airport like what we have similar to Denver International Airport. The issue is, Phoenix would have to annex some land from the county, and that probably wouldn't get passed on if the people living in Pinal county didn't want the new airport unless they get a deal out of the annexation.

Back in 1988, people in both Denver and Adams county voted on annexation parts of Adams county to Denver county to construct the airport on 45 square miles of land, twice the size of Manhattan island, bigger in size than both Chicago's O'Hare International. Maybe in 10-15 years, Phoenix might consider doing something similar if it wants to get serious in getting taller skyscrapers in the city core.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/07/31/we...h-malcolm.html

Last edited by Hschlick84; 12-21-2015 at 12:42 AM..

Old 12-21-2015, 02:18 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,784 times
How about the urban/heat island effect, and what strategies has Phoenix taken to mitigate it, especially as it continues to grow? Taller towers will only attract more heat. I know some cities employ strategies such as urban gardens, or basically increasing the amount of vegetation to absorb heat (Heat Island Cooling Strategies | Heat Island Effect | US EPA). I really have no clue or knowledge of what the City of Phoenix has done or is planning, but if someone on here is knowledgeable on the subject, I would like to hear it/read it.

I've never walked around downtown Phoenix in the middle of the day in August, but I've done it in Vegas, and I regretted it. Walked a block in 100 something degrees, went back in and waited for the sun to go down. Thankfully Vegas doesn't sleep.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:38 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
Exactly why I am here. I can have a yard in the middle of a city. How many other cities can you boast that in, and be considered affordable? Not too many. Maybe some parts of FL or TX, maybe really far north, but not too many competitors.
Pittsburgh. I had several very affordable houses there and they all had backyards, in my case done up as patios where I could entertain in the summer. One of my homes in Pittsburgh was so close to the Steelers' stadium that I could hear the PA announcer if I opened a window.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:16 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,608,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
People move to Phoenix specifically for...the chance to have a backyard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
Exactly why I am here. I can have a yard in the middle of a city. How many other cities can you boast that in, and be considered affordable? Not too many.
Arizona is my back yard, front yard & side yards!

Old 12-21-2015, 07:19 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,730,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Pittsburgh. I had several very affordable houses there and they all had backyards, in my case done up as patios where I could entertain in the summer. One of my homes in Pittsburgh was so close to the Steelers' stadium that I could hear the PA announcer if I opened a window.
LOL it's actually pretty easy to find cities that have 'yards available' right in the middle of town, nice example!

I think it's hilarious how people immediately get blinders on when they want to prove some obscure point, it's like well I'm not going to have this in Manhattan or San Fran, so it must not be possible ANYWHERE! hahaha

Old 12-21-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Arizona is my back yard, front yard & side yards!

Exactly, I could careless about a yard, I've got the largest municipal park in the world and about a zillion other preserves with views and nature that will blow out any yard anyone has ever made.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:40 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Maybe in 10-15 years, Phoenix might consider doing something similar if it wants to get serious in getting taller skyscrapers in the city core.
I think that ship has sailed a long, long time ago. The airport is spending at least a billion dollars on the PHX Sky Train, which won't even be completed out to the car rental complex until 2020. Then they are currently starting a massive renovations and addition onto Terminal 3 which also won't be complete until 2020 and will cost at least another $590 million. All the $1.5 billion + is being financed through airport revenues such as parking, concessions and tenant fees. Once Terminal 3 is done, they will tear down Terminal 2 and have room to build yet another terminal in its location and they still have room to add an eight and final satellite concourse to Terminal 4.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:05 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,692 times
If for some unfathomable reason I had to move back to the city, there would only be three possibilities.
1. Old town Tempe, Maple-Ash neighborhood between University and 13th St.
2. Possibly parts of Tucson
3. Smack dab in the middle of downtown Phoenix. I am enjoying watching its resurgence.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I think that ship has sailed a long, long time ago. The airport is spending at least a billion dollars on the PHX Sky Train, which won't even be completed out to the car rental complex until 2020. Then they are currently starting a massive renovations and addition onto Terminal 3 which also won't be complete until 2020 and will cost at least another $590 million. All the $1.5 billion + is being financed through airport revenues such as parking, concessions and tenant fees. Once Terminal 3 is done, they will tear down Terminal 2 and have room to build yet another terminal in its location and they still have room to add an eight and final satellite concourse to Terminal 4.
Plus who cares about tall buildings, that has nothing to do with making an awesome city. There's countless examples of world class cities that don't have supertall buildings. What we need is a walkable, dense core. I think for the first time in Phoenix's history they're actually doing things right. Get folks living down there, make interesting places to live/visit/work/play and then the larger projects will be enticed into the mix.

I love skyscrapers more than most people and would be very excited to see a super tall in Phoenix, but it's not necessary nor does it typically add to an activated pedestrian area like we need to see here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area