Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:46 AM

7 posts, read 8,097 times

Advertisements

Is this problem exclusive to Tolleson, or are others having problems with these punks? Taking about kids racing and revving their Folger can mufflers at all hours of the night. I highly doubt this is an east valley problem. Seems the cops don't care about much on this side of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 10:11 AM

848 posts, read 967,452 times
Haven't seen anything like this in the east valley in the almost 2 years I've lived in AZ. I stopped at a gas station in Tolleson once and while I was there, 4 out of every 5 vehicles that came through were lowered, had tinted windows, giant chrome wheels, and window rattling stereos with pants-around-the-knees gold-chain-wearing winners driving them. No exaggeration. It felt almost like being on the set of Boyz in Da Hood or Menace II Society, but set 20 years later. I haven't seen that in the parts of the east valley that I've been to.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:39 AM

Oh I believe it. In fact I think you accurately described most of my neighbors (all section 8 renters). I cannot get out of the west side fast enough. I guess growing up on the east side you don't realize how bad it is on the other side of the tracks. I thought parts of Mesa were bad. It's almost like the shady parts of the east valley would be considered decent neighborhoods on the west side.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:50 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
Its in a not-so-nice area of the Valley, what did you expect? Rolls Royces? Ferraris? lol

Its not a Tolleson problem, its a national problem. Ever since Fast & Furious came out, these dorks think their 120hp Honda Civics are "race cars" and like to throw fart cannons on them, rev the crap out of them, and think that bystanders are impressed by their antics.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:51 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,204 times
I used to go to Tolleson for some work reasons but haven't been in a few years. I never noticed this issue back when I spent time in the town, but you do see those noise-mufflers all over the Phoenix area from time to time. I think it's absurd and ridiculous to try to make some four-cylinder in a Honda Accord try to sound "cool" but then again I'm so not interested in that import/street-racer scene.

The worst thing I have seen lately is a huge quad cab diesel truck that had clearly been modified to "roll coal" which means to produce way more black diesel exhaust than the manufacturer intended for it to do. It was rolling down McDowell gunning the enging every chance it got. At a stop light it waited until a car was approaching and then let loose with a huge belch of black smoke right as the car drove up beside it. The gentlemen in the cars had words but surprisingly that's all that happened. Talk about disrespectful. This is basically what it looked like.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:54 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
They're young let them enjoy it. I didn't know ricers were still in style.

This is big all over the valley, it's a car based utopia of course people put attention into their cars it's the culture.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:01 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,468,049 times
It's not a this/that valley issue. Google and you'll find stories everywhere around the valley on the topic:

Police: 1 dead in 3-vehicle crash in Tempe - ABC15 Arizona

Phoenix police cracking down on street racing - ABC15 Arizona

"Unfortunately, Phoenix Police say this happens so often that they have a team dedicated to catching these illegal drivers in the act."

And happens even in, *gasp*, Scottsdale. This was a high profile one a few years back:

Scottsdale street-race fatality nets five-year prison term

Old 12-17-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
They're young let them enjoy it. I didn't know ricers were still in style.

This is big all over the valley, it's a car based utopia of course people put attention into their cars it's the culture.

Not very responsible thing to say JG. Innocent people getting killed. See my post above.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post

Not very responsible thing to say JG. Innocent people getting killed. See my post above.
Correct, Racing down a neighborhood street at 2am at 70+ mph can get someone killed. Not to mention disrespectful to anyone that has a job to wake up for in the morning, I might be in the minority of people that have jobs in my neighborhood though.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxgocardsxx View Post
Correct, Racing down a neighborhood street at 2am at 70+ mph can get someone killed. Not to mention disrespectful to anyone that has a job to wake up for in the morning, I might be in the minority of people that have jobs in my neighborhood though.
Well said on all fronts. Wish there were more people with your attitude who realize the world doesn't revolve around "me".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area