Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 10:17 AM

296 posts, read 362,916 times

Advertisements

For some there is the smaller local business vs the larger corporation. While this definitely is a factor, the greater factor most beer connoisseurs have are for other reasons.

One reason is that the mass producing beer companies practices of brewing create inferior tasting beer. Techniques and chemicals used in hastening the brewing process makes a poorer tasting and less healthy product. When you have a big corporation focused on bottom line profits they aren't going to care as much about a drop in quality. Brewing good beer is truly a craft and it is never good for the quality of a product when the shift turns primarily to profit.

With the popularity of microbrew beer growing, the major beer companies have focused closing down and pushing smaller, independent operations out of the market.

Big Beer’s 5-Point Plan to Crush the Craft Beer Revolution

From the article:
"But the global beer behemoth can strategically purchase key craft brewers and use them to make it extremely difficult for independent little guys to be successful in the marketplace."

The microbrew community is very supportive of each other. The larger beer giants try to use their acquisition of smaller microbrews to push other microbrews out of business. Beer connoisseurs love variety in products and while we may have our favorite brewery, we are going to purchase from multiple different breweries. Even if the quality doesn't drop (for now) many don't want to ultimately support a larger corporation that has actively tried to shut down microbreweries and hurt the industry as a whole.

In the quest to pull in as much money as they can AB is not going to be as concerned about the quality of the product or the impact to the local community when making decisions.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:51 AM

9,479 posts, read 12,248,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
To be fair, its better on tap than in a bottle, but its still a subpar Scottish Ale. Just my opinion, of course.

As for Total Wine, I live only a few blocks from there, so its more convenient for me than to drive all the way to Tops in Tempe.

Does Four Peaks do Growlers? I just love those.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:39 AM

3,401 posts, read 4,589,709 times
Another one bites the dust, bought out by guess who...Anheuser-Busch the same company that bought out Four Peaks out of Phoenix. Breckenridge originally based out of Breckenridge, CO moved to Littleton. Now being sold to AB.

Breckenridge Brewery being sold to Anheuser-Busch | FOX31 Denver

Last edited by Hschlick84; 12-22-2015 at 11:48 AM..

Old 12-24-2015, 02:28 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,934,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
Some Goose Island beer is brewed in upstate New York and not Chicago now.

I'm sure that they may start brewing Four Peaks beer out of state too. So, even if its distributed nationwide now, there may not be any added local jobs as the increased production may take place at other AB InBev facilities.
Great point that AZ jobs will not benefit from the growth of 4 Peaks beer internationally because they will brew the beer somewhere else.
Competition is good for consumers monopolies do not help the folks, last time I checked.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:43 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,369,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
The brewmaster from Four Peaks went off on his own several years ago and started San Tan Brewery and they make beer just as good or better than Four Peaks. They are now on tap all over AZ and So Cal, so maybe they'll be the next to go
Thanks ASUFAN, I'll check it out. I've seen the San Tan brand but didn't realize it was that guy who started it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
I'm puzzled by this reaction... which is basically:
"Waaaaahhh!! Evil Empire!! End of the world!! they're gonna turn kiltlifter into bud light!!!"

seriously?
This is local entrepreneurs who built their business to a success level so high that they get to become part of something bigger. Read the article on azcentral and watch the 2 minute video of Andy Ingram talking about the deal. My conclusion is this is very good for them, their brand, and the fans of their beer.

Congrats to Andy and the other owners of Four Peaks.
Four Peaks owner: Nothing will change after Anheuser-Busch sale
Yes Zathras - I'm a small business owner and I always am happy for other small business startups when they make it. That's not really the point here. Believe me, I understand the long hours, the mortgaging your home and life to the hilt to get your startup going. I know about missing family and friends' activities because you own a business. If those guys make a bucket of money, I'm happy for them.

OTOH - I agree with the angst on here. I'm old enough to remember when one had to drive to Colorado just to get Coors. It tasted amazing back then. Granted, I was underage and the thrill of it certainly added to the taste. I also remember when Coors "sold out" and went big time. The taste changed. It had to: if you are going to ship your brew across the country, a lot of additional chemicals have to be added. One of the reasons I like local breweries is the minimization of chemical preservatives. I get headaches from some of the beers out there. And some people may not realize it, but when you drink a beer with tons of chemicals, your skin stinks (Heineken anyone? Sorry, IMHO it smells like skunk...)

From this article -
Quote:
Craft-brewed Beers
“Craft beer should mean natural beer brewed in a non-automated brewery of less than 50-barrel brew length, using traditional methods and premium, whole, natural ingredients, and no flavor-lessening adjuncts or extracts, additives or preservatives.” – brewmaster Greg Noonan
Advantages: Craft-brewers typically use higher quality ingredients and, because of small production, can offer great variety – just take a look at the beer section of an upscale market.
All that being said, I do agree that we need a few preservatives in beer, but hops can do that nicely if managed properly. The last time I got a massive case of food poisoning was right after downing two large warm glasses of Guinness in an Irish pub. It could have been the chowder, but the beer didn't help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandduner View Post
Try Arizona Wilderness Brewery....a friend owns it...nice local place
Thanks Sandduner, I'll check it out now that my dear Kiltlifter is about to be destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
WHy are y'all bashing AB? There would have been no sale had the Four Peaks owners not said yes. That's who you should bash - local business owners who get greedy and sell out.
Yukon -- I think JGM just answered your question... I get it - when you build up a business sometimes you have to sell: maybe you see the handwriting on the wall for competition or the end of the line, or you need to pay bills. But I'd rather see them sell to someone a little less creepy and bent on taking over the world of beer distribution. Monopolies are never a good thing for any of us.
JGM - thank you for the link. I thought something was up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
A little reading goes a long way towards understanding InBev's plans. They are actively seeking to marginalize successful craft breweries, making it expensive and difficult to distribute their products. Hensley will be paid big bucks to de-emphasize Kilt Lifter, or it'll become a national brand after AB's lab people figure out how to duplicate the taste with corn syrup and chemicals. With a nearly 50% market share, ABInBev is also trying to take over Miller-Coors, its real competition. Since when is monopoly a good thing?
Yep - corn syrup, chemicals, bleaaaaaah. Some of the light beers they produce taste like panther pee...

Quote:
Kilt Lifter was a horrible Scottish Ale from the get-go. I only buy it as a last resort from Walgreens if I forget to go to Total Wine before they close. Blech.

Youd be far better off drinking Belhaven.
I will try Belhaven. Where do I get it? I happened to like a kiltlifter now and again. But it did make my BF break out. So maybe it's not all that pure anyway. ONWARD!

I drink dark or amber beer because I figger - "hey! It must be health food, like brown rice and brown bread, right?!" I can't drink wine because of the sulfites. So local breweries are the only way to go -- that or water...

Old 12-26-2015, 12:54 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,866,779 times
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! HSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

They better not change the menu or get rid of the hot Moderator cut: . waitresses. We should organize a march with anti corporate Anheiser Busch signs. Also a chant. Something like "Hell no down with Busch" but ya know, something that rimes and is catchy.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 12-26-2015 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: language

Old 12-27-2015, 05:35 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,586,076 times
Quote:
Im sure theyll be fine. When Goose Island in Chicago was bought out, there was no quality change in their brews. Im not a huge fan of Four Peaks anyways, so Ill do just fine with the acquisition. hahaha
The rare Goose Island beers are still good but the regular beers are not. Plus most of the beers are no longer brewed in Chicago. And don't think for a second that InBev (Carlos Brito) won't shut down a brewery that starts losing money (Boddingtons). He will force the brewers to change recipes and use lower grade ingredients.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:45 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,931,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post

I will try Belhaven. Where do I get it? I happened to like a kiltlifter now and again. But it did make my BF break out. So maybe it's not all that pure anyway. ONWARD!

You can find it at Total Wine. I also recommend their "Wee Heavy". Good stuff.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:38 PM

597 posts, read 661,831 times
Way late to this. I live in Illinois, my parents stay in Phoenix (well Sun Lakes/Chandler, previously Mesa) from November to May and have stayed in Arizona for about 20 years for at least part of the year (they stay much longer now). They were preceded a little bit by my grandparents who stayed in Mesa in the winter for about 15 years before they died. My parents and grandparents overlapped in AZ for 10-12 years.

Anyway, all of this is simply to say that I've been to Phoenix area MANY times to visit. And, I really got to know Four Peaks. Kiltlifter (of course) first and then 9th Street Pale Ale and also some of their Kolsch. It signifies Phoenix to me. I was introduced to it at another Phoenix-area staple - Oregano's.

I've always thought these beers were decent. Nothing out of this world, but that was okay. Just easily drinkable beers that I couldn't get when I wasn't in Phoenix. And, I loved that. It made it unique, made it feel like I was really on vacation and somewhere else. And, since I discovered them with my late grandparents and my parents, they're somewhat sentimental. A lot of good memories attached to those brews. So, I'm sad to see them bought out. Not because I'm worried about beer quality - again, I never thought Four Peaks was THAT great -- but because I liked having that unique, local thing that I couldn't get anywhere else. I'll still buy it, but it won't be quite the same.

BTW, I know there are other local options. I have been to Arizona Wilderness Brewing in Gilbert three times and really like it. Food is fantastic, beer is great. Atmosphere can be a bit crazy - which is often great, but sometimes I wish I could have their beer in a more relaxed setting. And beers can be a little schizo. Sometimes I'm up for their bold experiments. Other times I wish they had more consistent flagship beers - a few reliable go-tos that I could get all the time (maybe that amber I had has morphed into that). Haven't been there since last year, so things could have changed. Will be going in April.

I never took to San Tan (I've only been to the one downtown Chandler). Beer and place never did anything for me. But, it's serviceable. I'd choose other places over it (Bourbon Jack's, Murphy's Law), but if someone wants to go, I'm not gonna object.

I LOVE visiting Phoenix area and hanging out at bars. Lol. Such nice outdoor areas and those mild desert nights on the patio.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:17 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,931,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
Way late to this. I live in Illinois, my parents stay in Phoenix (well Sun Lakes/Chandler, previously Mesa) from November to May and have stayed in Arizona for about 20 years for at least part of the year (they stay much longer now). They were preceded a little bit by my grandparents who stayed in Mesa in the winter for about 15 years before they died. My parents and grandparents overlapped in AZ for 10-12 years.

Anyway, all of this is simply to say that I've been to Phoenix area MANY times to visit. And, I really got to know Four Peaks. Kiltlifter (of course) first and then 9th Street Pale Ale and also some of their Kolsch. It signifies Phoenix to me. I was introduced to it at another Phoenix-area staple - Oregano's.

I've always thought these beers were decent. Nothing out of this world, but that was okay. Just easily drinkable beers that I couldn't get when I wasn't in Phoenix. And, I loved that. It made it unique, made it feel like I was really on vacation and somewhere else. And, since I discovered them with my late grandparents and my parents, they're somewhat sentimental. A lot of good memories attached to those brews. So, I'm sad to see them bought out. Not because I'm worried about beer quality - again, I never thought Four Peaks was THAT great -- but because I liked having that unique, local thing that I couldn't get anywhere else. I'll still buy it, but it won't be quite the same.

BTW, I know there are other local options. I have been to Arizona Wilderness Brewing in Gilbert three times and really like it. Food is fantastic, beer is great. Atmosphere can be a bit crazy - which is often great, but sometimes I wish I could have their beer in a more relaxed setting. And beers can be a little schizo. Sometimes I'm up for their bold experiments. Other times I wish they had more consistent flagship beers - a few reliable go-tos that I could get all the time (maybe that amber I had has morphed into that). Haven't been there since last year, so things could have changed. Will be going in April.

I never took to San Tan (I've only been to the one downtown Chandler). Beer and place never did anything for me. But, it's serviceable. I'd choose other places over it (Bourbon Jack's, Murphy's Law), but if someone wants to go, I'm not gonna object.

I LOVE visiting Phoenix area and hanging out at bars. Lol. Such nice outdoor areas and those mild desert nights on the patio.
I just picked up their Kolsch Saturday night (called "SunBru" and oddly sold in cans), which I think is their best brew, IMO.

You must be a winter visitor. hahaha Noone would call our summer nights "mild", unless 90-100 degrees is "mild" at midnight. hahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area