Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 12:51 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,255,686 times

Advertisements

Pretty interesting article..not sure if you heard about this airline.

It's a luxury airline that seats only 30 people in turbo prop planes for short flights from Scottsdale to L.A. and Las Vegas. The tickets are around $500 which is double what a standard carrier charges but every seat look the equivalent of a first class seat. Interesting concept!!!

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...tsdale.html#i1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 08:11 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,586,755 times
I see this as not getting off the ground.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:52 AM

9,189 posts, read 16,591,295 times
I hope it does. I'd gladly pay a bit more to have closer airport access, virtually no security lines and luxury accommodations.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:16 AM

640 posts, read 953,352 times
It is an interesting concept, and the price is similar (or lower) than a first class ticket on AA to those destinations. I would love to see this work out, but I just don't see how it can be profitable. Even with a full 30 passengers, they max out at $15,000 in revenue per flight. That doesn't seem like enough to turn a profit.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I hope it does. I'd gladly pay a bit more to have closer airport access, virtually no security lines and luxury accommodations.
I think it will take off. They are charging the same price as a first class seat on a major carrier except with this you avoid security lines, parking issues and are probably treated better. Plus, you have to like the local concept too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
It is an interesting concept, and the price is similar (or lower) than a first class ticket on AA to those destinations. I would love to see this work out, but I just don't see how it can be profitable. Even with a full 30 passengers, they max out at $15,000 in revenue per flight. That doesn't seem like enough to turn a profit.
Their planes are cheaper (turbo-prop) and they don't have the overhead and administrative costs of the bigger carriers. And they only limit their flights to short distances. This is essentially what Southwest Airlines did in the 70's and 80's and look at them now.

And some of the things they can do to upgrade their planes don't cost that much like inflight entertainment ie TV's.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:45 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,586,755 times
Where do they fly in/out of in LV? Main terminal or, the private one?

If it's the private terminal, then I think of things like ground transportation.
Super Shuttle doesn't go to Scottsdale and you'd have to get a limo in LV, right? Or do they finally have Uber?

Old 12-24-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Where do they fly in/out of in LV? Main terminal or, the private one?

If it's the private terminal, then I think of things like ground transportation.
Super Shuttle doesn't go to Scottsdale and you'd have to get a limo in LV, right? Or do they finally have Uber?
It's a private terminal. Why do you need a Super Shuttle? Have you ever heard of Uber or Lyft? They are cheaper than Super Shuttle and provide better service. Honestly, I don't even know why anyone would consider a taxi or Super Shuttle any longer, it's the car equivalent of VHS. LOL Time to evolve people

Old 12-28-2015, 04:39 PM

52 posts, read 145,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's a private terminal. Why do you need a Super Shuttle? Have you ever heard of Uber or Lyft? They are cheaper than Super Shuttle and provide better service. Honestly, I don't even know why anyone would consider a taxi or Super Shuttle any longer, it's the car equivalent of VHS. LOL Time to evolve people

Old 12-28-2015, 05:25 PM

4,620 posts, read 9,250,881 times
I've stopped driving to Las Vegas because the drive home is horrible and I hate flying coach so this would be attractive to me for $500. I agree with the others though as it seems hard to turn a profit on that fee with all of the other expenses involved (paying for fuel, maintenance, staff salaries, insurance, fees, etc) so my guess is this doesn't last long (at this fee).

Old 12-28-2015, 08:37 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,442,958 times
Actually the price of $300 to Puerto Penasco, Mexico I think is appealing for such a plane, especially to escape the border via car nonsense and my desire to not drive around in Mexico.

For Las Vegas at $500? Nah. I enjoying driving and it's only a 4 1/2 hour drive from our house to the strip or downtown with the route being largely a quick 2 lane highway now. And given we bounce around quite a bit in LV(eating off-strip places like Chinatown, etc), I don't have to deal with getting a rental car at the airport, bus, uber, etc. I'm guessing one still has to get to the airport probably at least 1 hour before flight time so perhaps for LV, maybe 2 hours or so saved in the end each way vs driving. For those who absolutely hate driving? Perhaps that's the market.

Would be nice if such a service offered more mid-range flights like Phoenix to TX, the northwest, etc. I could see that as being more appealing for what I would be looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area