Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 06:13 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sder View Post
Yeah I probably do. I’ve had my “fill” of desert living, been here for almost 10 years now & the honeymoon is definitely over. I like the laid back, somewhat “west coast” vibe & most of the people I’ve met are cool, although the ones who think this is paradise are crazy to me, I think the heat warps your brain after a while.

I’m a pretty big weather buff so for someone like me this is pretty much the most boring place you could be. Everyday is the same, it’s like the movie Groundhog Day.
If you enjoy dramatic changes in the weather then I see why you would consider it boring. Our weather does change, but it is nothing like the weather back east or midwest. Monsoon season is when our weather is most active. (If we get a good rainy season.) Otherwise, you are pretty much gonna get sunny days for most of the year, which I enjoy! I do miss fall, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 08:31 AM

975 posts, read 1,404,115 times
Quote:
Yeah I probably do. I’ve had my “fill” of desert living, been here for almost 10 years now & the honeymoon is definitely over. I like the laid back, somewhat “west coast” vibe & most of the people I’ve met are cool, although the ones who think this is paradise are crazy to me, I think the heat warps your brain after a while.

I’m a pretty big weather buff so for someone like me this is pretty much the most boring place you could be. Everyday is the same, it’s like the movie Groundhog Day.
That's pretty much the same for me except I've lived in Arizona for 16 years (Phoenix for 10).

Phoenix is a good place for those who like outdoor recreation, dining, clubbing, golf, and high end shopping. It's also a place for those who don't like frigid winters and show and ice.

However, in my opinion, if you don't live in Scottsdale or Paradise Valley and make more than $120,000 - $140,000/year most of Phoenix is analogous to every other sunbelt metropolitan area.

I also say the income part because the traditional public schools here are bad (except for maybe 2 - 3 districts) (and the funding situation / teacher pay situation has finally come to the spotlight after my 16 years here although it doesn't appear that anything productive will be done about it).

I'm ready to move somewhere else (although I'll keep Phoenix in mind as a place I may relocate back to in the future).

Old 04-24-2018, 03:28 PM

75 posts, read 121,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
She is right. As one who moved from Charlotte (Loved it so much I thought I would never leave) to Phoenix many years ago, I began longing for what I remembered about living back east. I started talking with my family about moving back to Charlotte and planned a visit. During our visit, we drove around the city and noticed all the new developments and the light rail. We visited friends we hadn't seen in yearz and drove through our old neighborhood to see who was living in our former house. The growth of the city was impressive, but, long story short, we decided Arizona was a better fit for our family at this time.
Westcoastbabe, your feedback to me was spot on during that time. (Even though I struggled to hear it!)

NC is a beautiful state with mountains, a coast and friendly people. We hope to visit...often.
Goolsbyjazz & Westcoastbabe: Awesome. Just more confirmation for me regarding this move, and I am sure I will not regret it. I've been to Charlotte several times (more so as a young teenager, but I was hanging out with my older sister in her apt) ... and as an adult I never knew anyone who lived there (b/c my sister got married & moved to Cary, NC). Charlotte has always scared me.. lol. Maybe it was traffic stories that kept me away. =) ..... Nonetheless, NC IS a great state!

Several keep mentioning Tucson though, so that's definitely on the list to visit either late this year or early next year. My ex neighbor actually mentioned driving through Tucson some years ago (she moved here from CA) and told me to consider visiting it b/c she said it grew quite a bit . .. And my old office manager told me her dad is retired, lives in Scottsdale & loves it. ------ these 2 women are the ones to pointed me to AZ in the first place. =)

Old 04-24-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:

LOL!!!! Dude.... You sound depressed! ... Well, maybe NC will bring you back to life... the ice/wind/rain will bring your brain back to life if it's gotten fried by the sun in AZ... hahaha! *Nudge* Take a trip out here, maybe to the Outer Banks (if you like the coast), or any section of Blue Ridge Parkway (especially in the fall). It's a beautiful site to see and you may never grow tired of those beautiful fall leaves. Now that is something I'm definitely going to miss.....

Old 04-24-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
If you enjoy dramatic changes in the weather then I see why you would consider it boring. Our weather does change, but it is nothing like the weather back east or midwest. Monsoon season is when our weather is most active. (If we get a good rainy season.) Otherwise, you are pretty much gonna get sunny days for most of the year, which I enjoy! I do miss fall, though.
Goolsbyjazz: I know, I LOVE sunny days. For the past 3 months, we've had so many cloudy/dreary/rainy days, it's not even funny. Seems like we've only had 20 sunny days out of 90? ... Beautiful this past weekend, but more rain & clouds all day today. Ohhh, but one cool thing I did get to experience about 6 or 7 yrs ago was thundersnow!!!! Now THAT was cool. ... How long have you been in AZ now? I was just realizing that I'm going to miss the Fall leaves of NC. =( .... It's ok though.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:39 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile37 View Post
Goolsbyjazz: I know, I LOVE sunny days. For the past 3 months, we've had so many cloudy/dreary/rainy days, it's not even funny. Seems like we've only had 20 sunny days out of 90? ... Beautiful this past weekend, but more rain & clouds all day today. Ohhh, but one cool thing I did get to experience about 6 or 7 yrs ago was thundersnow!!!! Now THAT was cool. ... How long have you been in AZ now? I was just realizing that I'm going to miss the Fall leaves of NC. =( .... It's ok though.
Been here nearly 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area