Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 07:27 AM

127 posts, read 171,484 times

Advertisements

Hi there, we are starting our first neighborhood scouting trip in a week. Dual-income, no kids, value low crime, updated home, clean and decent neighbors, convenience to dining and nightlife. Price target is 350k, up to 400k for the right house.

We are pretty familiar with Scottsdale and Kierland neighborhoods at this point, but I'm interested in hearing more about North Phoenix from Tatum to Cave Creek (mainly south of 101) and East Phoenix around Camelback East Village/south of Arcadia. The crime maps don't really give me a clear picture of where things might get sketchy.

We arent sure about going farther north than 101, it seems removed from Old Town, but we are open to it. Any feedback on where we should look and what areas to shy away from is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 07:56 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Where will you both be working?

Old 12-25-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Where will you both be working?
From home.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:57 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,291 times
Just my opinion, as I've been looking at houses also, but just online at this point. I lived in the Phoenix area for 10 or 11 years, mostly in Scottsdale, so I know a little bit about it. Anyway, it seems to me that sellers are simply asking too much right now. Can you perhaps find a house for between $350K and $400K? Yes. But how stupid would you feel paying so much for what is essentially a piece of junk? Old, in need of repairs, and possibly infested with termites. That's the question I ask myself when I look at houses in that price range. I refuse to be a sucker.

Bump your price range up to $550K or above and then you can find a house that wouldn't be an embarrassment to live in.

I can live wherever I want and will not overpay for a house in Scottsdale. The economy isn't doing so hot right now, and my guess is that the bubble can't last much longer. It might be smart to wait a year. Or perhaps take a look at the Tucson area?

Old 12-25-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I can live wherever I want and will not overpay for a house in Scottsdale. The economy isn't doing so hot right now, and my guess is that the bubble can't last much longer. It might be smart to wait a year. Or perhaps take a look at the Tucson area?
For clarity, this is just a scouting trip and our timeline is probably 18 months, so yes, we're taking the possibility that the market will shift into account. Our goal right now is just to learn more about what the neighborhoods are like and where we should be looking, rather than to start making offers. We are also open to renting first.

We've found some desirable(-looking) homes for our needs in the Corridor and Sweetwater Ranch areas. We've also looked at Fountain Hills, the scenery is outstanding but we have doubts about making the drive into Scottsdale for most amenities. We are open to north Gilbert and like how much newer home we can get for the money, but aren't sure if we would fit in there with it being (seemingly) very family-oriented. A lot of people speak very highly of north Phoenix, so that's something we want to understand better.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:05 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,291 times
There are plenty of nice areas in Phoenix. The North Central corridor can be nice. Arcadia is nice. There's nothing wrong with the Sweetwater Ranch area. Fountain Hills can be OK, but there are areas there that seem sort of substandard. In short, it's easy to find good areas.

The problem I have when I look at real estate in some of these areas is that it seems to be overpriced. But for the prices, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But I don't have a crystal ball. Maybe waiting for a price drop would be a mistake.

Old 12-25-2015, 01:32 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
I don't think there will be a "bubble burst" or price drop in the near-term future....just very slow growth in appreciation...hell, we're barely out of the last bubble (2003-2006) and burst (2008-late 2011)....

many great neighborhoods in the entire metro area.....keep the ol' "location, location, location" number one in your search....and, personal opinion, I'd stay well within the built-up urban area....outlying suburbia, soul-less subdivisions, having to drive for any errand, etc. will get old fast.....

you may want to explore the Cactus/Tatum/Shea area (Paradise Village, to some), staying east of 40th St.....very busy (traffic), but every convenience for shopping (almost any store you'd need), wide variety of housing options and prices.....Phoenix city limits (slightly lower costs), but Scottsdale mailing address east of Tatum in this area (zip 85254).....also, very convenient location within the metro area

Old 12-25-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
many great neighborhoods in the entire metro area.....keep the ol' "location, location, location" number one in your search....and, personal opinion, I'd stay well within the built-up urban area....outlying suburbia, soul-less subdivisions, having to drive for any errand, etc. will get old fast.....

you may want to explore the Cactus/Tatum/Shea area (Paradise Village, to some), staying east of 40th St.....very busy (traffic), but every convenience for shopping (almost any store you'd need), wide variety of housing options and prices.....Phoenix city limits (slightly lower costs), but Scottsdale mailing address east of Tatum in this area (zip 85254).....also, very convenient location within the metro area
Thank you. We're well-acquainted with that area from our research and were definitely focused on the Kierland and Cactus/Shea Corridor area east of Tatum and all the way across the city of Scottsdale. "East of 40th" is helpful information, we might look a bit into the Desert View Village area as well, but like you say, I don't think we want to be much further out than that.

Old 12-25-2015, 03:58 PM

156 posts, read 420,332 times
Bump your price range up to $550K or above and then you can find a house that wouldn't be an embarrassment to live in.

Inserting face to palm.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:02 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBradley View Post

Inserting face to palm.
Maybe he doesn't have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area