Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 02:49 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,272,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
This looks awesome!! thank you. I just went to Roosevelt, but for some reason I missed this little shop. It looks wonderful.

Second the Fair Trade suggestion... there's another location at Civic Space Park, in the lower level of the England building right across Central from University Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 06:13 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,584,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
Starbs is great before work... / during the drive-thru

but I just don't like the atmosphere there.. too corporate. -.- I prefer studying in independent coffee shops...
Okay, I misunderstood your original headline: Coffee Lovers | What are the best coffee-shops in Metro-Phoenix? It sounded like you were asking about which coffee shops lovers of coffee get their coffee at.

If you meant which independent coffee shops have the least corporate atmospheres for studying, then by all means, Starbucks is not the best for you. However, and unfortunately, you'd still have to deal with inferior tasting coffees everywhere else.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:41 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,477,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Okay, I misunderstood your original headline: Coffee Lovers | What are the best coffee-shops in Metro-Phoenix? It sounded like you were asking about which coffee shops lovers of coffee get their coffee at.

If you meant which independent coffee shops have the least corporate atmospheres for studying, then by all means, Starbucks is not the best for you. However, and unfortunately, you'd still have to deal with inferior tasting coffees everywhere else.
I'm not here to question your palate, but since when did Starbucks set the bar for taste...I mean, what exactly do you order when you go there? Because nothing I've ever ordered there has stood out to me. My sister was a barista at Starbucks and even she prefers local coffee shops. I understand the concept of chains, they offer a semblance of consistency when you travel...but, when you live somewhere you have an opportunity to try something new and that might or might not be better. In the case of Starbucks in Phoenix, there is plenty better in the area.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:19 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,285,567 times
Any ideas for the NW valley? I like espresso and my only option is Starbucks. A few places serve lattes and frozen drinks, but I'm not really into that.

I went on the links given earlier in the thread and came up with 2 places that don't serve espresso. (Anyways, I'm unwilling to go to one of them because it's a preachy religious place.)

Pomo's offers espresso, but it's not a coffee shop by any stretch. It's a full service restaurant and I doubt it's even open in the a.m.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:05 PM

9,189 posts, read 16,577,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
Any ideas for the NW valley? I like espresso and my only option is Starbucks. A few places serve lattes and frozen drinks, but I'm not really into that.

I went on the links given earlier in the thread and came up with 2 places that don't serve espresso. (Anyways, I'm unwilling to go to one of them because it's a preachy religious place.)

Pomo's offers espresso, but it's not a coffee shop by any stretch. It's a full service restaurant and I doubt it's even open in the a.m.
Where is there a preachy religious coffee shop?

I like Cartel, Lux and Sip.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:13 PM

127 posts, read 170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
I'm not here to question your palate, but since when did Starbucks set the bar for taste...I mean, what exactly do you order when you go there? Because nothing I've ever ordered there has stood out to me. My sister was a barista at Starbucks and even she prefers local coffee shops. I understand the concept of chains, they offer a semblance of consistency when you travel...but, when you live somewhere you have an opportunity to try something new and that might or might not be better. In the case of Starbucks in Phoenix, there is plenty better in the area.
For some people, Pizza Hut is the gold standard for pizza because it's what they always get and that's what pizza means to them. That's not an insult, just an observation that everybody has their own tastes. Starbucks has a powerful marketing team that has convinced a lot of people that their coffee is the "correct" coffee because it's ubiquitous, but it's a business, and there's always a cash incentive to cheat.

My theory is that they roast low-quality beans to an unrecognizable state so that every cup tastes consistent, because the costs of sourcing and training for so much volume at so many locations would be prohibitive otherwise. Some people like that taste, and would prefer it even with high-quality espresso made by a seasoned professional. Some people love their steaks well done, too. Not anybody's place to tell people what to like, although it's always good to be open to trying new things.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Where is there a preachy religious coffee shop?
Crossroads Books and Coffee, 9069 W Olive Ave, Peoria, AZ 85345

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I like Cartel, Lux and Sip.
When I saw this post, I thought you were responding to me. I now realize I misunderstood. You must have been responding to the OP. I went to all 3 of those shops' websites and all of them say they don't have any NW valley locations. They look good though.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-A View Post
it's a business, and there's always a cash incentive to cheat.

My theory is that they roast low-quality beans to an unrecognizable state so that every cup tastes consistent, because the costs of sourcing and training for so much volume at so many locations would be prohibitive otherwise.
Very interesting, and plausible.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:26 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,584,179 times
Ground Control (Litchfield Park area)

Old 12-27-2015, 05:41 PM

6,402 posts, read 8,941,541 times
JoBot, Songbird and Lola (all located on/around Roosevelt) are pretty good. I'm partial to Dutch Bros. as well. Keep in mind, though, I am not an avid coffee drinker or aficionado and get chocolate or Irish creme varieties. Regular coffee drinkers I know like all of them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area