Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 06:35 PM

848 posts, read 966,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Housing in the more desirable areas is pricier than people seem to think.
Even in those places, it's still 1/3 to 1/4 what of what it is where I come from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 06:59 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,085,714 times
Pheonix salaries are decreasing, so home prices will eventually drop!

Old 12-31-2015, 07:08 PM

939 posts, read 2,379,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Considering that is the median home price in the valley there is plenty out there in that range.
Yes. The MLS for Phoenix metro shows over 1,900 currently active or active with offer properties that meet the following criteria:

Between $180,000 and $230,000
Minimum 3 bedroom/2 bath, 2 car garage.

They appear to be scattered throughout the entire metropolitan area.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:12 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
You can get a nice hinge in that range and be closer than Gilbert or Chandler
Hinge? Not familiar with that word?

Old 12-31-2015, 07:18 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
My phone auto corrected home to hinge

It was easier to point that out than acknowledge the larger point

Old 12-31-2015, 07:39 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Ok, thanks.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:44 PM

13,232 posts, read 7,286,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disabledveteran1 View Post
I was stationed at Fort Bliss before I got out. Wife wanted to try out AZ because it was close by and her brother lives here. Well after spending several thousands to move here, all her brother wanted her for was to babysit... Also we rented in Maricopa which to be honest is the same as any other neighborhood in Phoenix with a catch. Cheaper rent but astronomical prices on utilities. And to top it off, it's a 16 mile trip to get to i-10. Every morning I see literally the whole city leaving to work somewhere else because the only jobs here are retail.

I'll be moving once my lease is up but not sure if I'm going back to my beloved 5 acre property in Missouri where I could go in the back patio and shoot my guns. I could park my 20" enclosed trailer anywhere I wanted and be in "my" house. Only difference between AZ and where my house is, located, pretty much jobs and shopping. I'm still thinking if I'll be purchasing a house here. Most definitely it'd be in Queen Creek, Gilbert or Tempe. Price range for what I want, around $350k. Anything less than $300k, you won't be able to find a decent Non-hoa house. Most HOA houses range up to $300k unless it's a mansion.

Don't listen to what most people will tell you... It's hot here for around 6-7 months, 3-4 months of those in the 100's every day. In the winter it does get cold, in the 30's. Traffic is terrible, especially when idiots drive on the left lane only. Taxes are higher than El Paso, each city has their own tax rate which most are close to 10% on purchases. If you want to rent, you will need at least $1500-$2000 a month not to include utilities. Realtors are *******s and entitled, most won't reply back to you. Most houses have several pending applications the first day they hit the market.
All this info is firsthand experience. Not sugar coating anything. Ignore all those HOA maps people post all the time, they're worthless. The best way to look for non-hoa houses is to zoom in a city you're interested, if the neighborhood looks like dominos, it's HOA. If the houses don't look the same and the neighborhood properties look bigger Non-hoa.

People will always flame...they usually come from Cali where everything is so overpriced, AZ looks like a safe heaven. If you are from anywhere else with some common sense, you will quickly realize it's not like everyone pictures it.
Could not sum it up better then you did I have been here for 21 years. I would not spend less then $350-400k get something really nice I find anything less just not in a good area.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:56 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Has the OP said where he'll be working? Are there even HOA communities out there with houses that go for less than $225k?
No, I did not say because I don't know at this point. I'm still active duty and do not anticipate being able to get out of the Army until late summer or early fall. Would like to take a couple of weeks to make the move, pack here and then make the short drive. While the move is shorter than other moves I've done, I think the heat will greatly degrade my strength and stamina.

As for getting involved with the HOA on the board, we're really not the political type of people. No interest in that type of drama.

After reading the comments, I'm definitely going to research HOAs more. At least here in El Paso, there are a fair number of homes where the garage has been converted into living quarters. Personally, I do not like the look.

Has anyone heard of dog breed restrictions in HOAs or is that something too far reaching for them to dictate?

Old 01-01-2016, 11:00 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I personally would avoid non-HOA properties like The Plague.

This is my 3rd owned property with a HOA and I have no issues with it. They were/are all non-intrusive, almost to a fault.

The small trade-off of not being able to leave your xmas decorations up through February or leaving a rusty unregistered vehicle on the lawn are far outweighed by not having to look at neighbors who do those things. Oh, and having your property value decline because of it.
I totally agree. IMO, HOAs protect my property value and my neighborhood from becoming trashy. Not expensive compared to CA HOAs. Mine are only 300/yr.

Dog breed restrictions? I never thought about it, but what a great idea. I'll research our HOA CCRs.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:42 AM

7 posts, read 3,350 times
There are a lot of areas without HOAs. Most are older though. And there is nothing wrong with that. Alot of the communities we have with HOAs, while sometimes they can be annoying-they are there to maintain the community areas like parks and such.
If you are looking to be close to Luke, the budget you mentioned should be very doable. And the likelihood of the HOA is pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area