Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 09:10 PM

23 posts, read 46,334 times

Advertisements

I'm posting for a neighbor, he's had this problem for a couple of years but this is the first time he's called me over for a look. I realize the recent heavy rain has a lot to do with them coming out of his lawn, possibly to mate, and I'm pretty sure this problem isn't unique to the southeast valley. As much as he's an earth friendly individual, it's obvious something needs to be done, up to and including poison.

His lawn is about 45' x 30' and butts up to the slab where his tub sits. My desert landscaped back yard starts only 15' from his hot tub, and I've never seen a single worm in the 6 years we've been here. Short of ripping up the lawn, can anyone suggest a solution? And if it does involve pesticide, what worked for you?
Attached Thumbnails
Worms around Hot Tub - any solutions?-worms.jpg   Worms around Hot Tub - any solutions?-worms2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 09:49 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Bacillus thuringiensis (or Bt) is a natural worm killer found at any Garden Center.
EARTH-KIND Gardening | Archives | Aggie Horticulture

Diatomaceous Earth would be a 2nd choice.
https://www.ghorganics.com/DiatomaceousEarth.html

Old 01-07-2016, 03:58 AM

551 posts, read 692,846 times
Well, they're trying to find a high spot so they don't drown underground and the hottub is it. Maybe put down a board or something that can retain moisture on the ground and see if they stick to that instead?

Old 01-07-2016, 05:04 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
When is the last time you checked the chlorine level of the water ?
worms live on bacteria.
If you have a mulch pile/ garden, I'd put them in there.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:26 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,401 times
EARTHWORMS!!

Obviously something needs to be done!!
Good grief they're good for the soil and are doing what they do when the ground is soaked. I'd leave them be. When the ground dries out they'll go back into the soil.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:54 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times
Where does he live? Can I come get them? I was thinking of starting an earthworm farm next to my compost pile...
Are they damaging anything? Where are the birds? Whenever the worms start coming out of the ground in my yard, the birds see them from a mile away and swoop down for lunch.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:09 PM

299 posts, read 545,230 times
Try baking soda all around the hot tub. If no children or pets in the area, also sprinkle baking soda over the entire concrete area as well. Green caterpillars drop out of nearby trees where I live so I put baking soda on the track of my sliding glass door, they curl up and die. I can't sprinkle my whole patio because neighbor's cats like to lay on my patio sometimes.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:28 PM

628 posts, read 1,436,247 times
Amazing problem to have, and it isn't even a problem. Ah, to be vain..

Old 01-07-2016, 06:05 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,291,165 times
They are so good for your soil and are completely harmless. I was just looking for a place to buy some so I could improve the soil in my yard.

I suppose if you really need to get rid of them, for reasons beyond my comprehension, you could attract worm eating birds to your yard. There are tips available on the Internet about that.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:20 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
Even if he poisons the current batch of earthworms, which I wouldn't do, he'll just have more worms down the line when it rains. Personally I'd just relocate the earthworms to the top of the soil around a garden, where there are plants, etc. When the soil dries out a bit, they'll dive back underground and you'll have natural soil aerators and auto-fertilizer generators making your neighbors plants happy. If it were my neighbor and they didn't want to do that, I'd offer to relocate the worms to my yard and put them in my garden. I'm also a bit surprised the birds haven't located them and had a big dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area