U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,854 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am planing to drive from Guadlajara city (mex) to Nogales (sonora mex), from nogales to Phoenix and from Phoenix to Denver, I am trying to get some snow to do some snowboarding.

Do you know how far is the boarder to phoenix and from phoenix to denver in KM or miles.

Or if you know a closer place to snowboard in the middle of march??

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 06:31 PM

5,465 posts, read 14,247,907 times
If the goal is just to go snowboarding, why go all the way to Denver? You'd be better off going directly from Phoenix to say, Telluride, or possibly Durango Mountain Resort (formerly known as Purgatory). And be careful on the drive there- March is the snowiest time of the year in Colorado.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:18 PM

300 posts, read 550,231 times
Google Maps

Do some directions.

Phoenix to Denver = 911 Miles
Nogales to Phonix = 178 Miles

Agreed. Driving in the mountains with snow = not fun.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:46 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,575,520 times
If we have snow...you can stay in Arizona!

Snow Bowl in Flagstaff or SunRise in the White Mtns.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:55 PM

453 posts, read 1,055,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
If we have snow...you can stay in Arizona!

Snow Bowl in Flagstaff or SunRise in the White Mtns.
I'd rather ski on sand in Mexico than waste my time & money skiing anywhere in AZ. Those places are a joke. If quality is an issue for you, then any ski destination in either CO or Utah will offer vastly superior terrain, snow, & overall experience to those two places.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:48 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,575,520 times
Last time I skied I broke my ankle...so, I'm definitely not an expert on the subject. However, coming from Guadalajara, Jalisco...our snow might not be so bad for snowboarding.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:56 PM

5,465 posts, read 14,247,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
I'd rather ski on sand in Mexico than waste my time & money skiing anywhere in AZ. Those places are a joke. If quality is an issue for you, then any ski destination in either CO or Utah will offer vastly superior terrain, snow, & overall experience to those two places.
Normally, you would be right-- last year and the year before, for example, AZ Snowbowl didn't even open for the season. This year, on the other hand, they've been getting TONS of snow. I know several people who went to Snowbowl last weekend and they said they were blown away with how much snow there was up there. Granted, Colorado undoubtedly has more, bigger, and badder terrain than anything in AZ. For locals though, AZ Snowbowl is providing a lot of fun this year.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:01 PM

172 posts, read 19,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Normally, you would be right-- last year and the year before, for example, AZ Snowbowl didn't even open for the season. This year, on the other hand, they've been getting TONS of snow. I know several people who went to Snowbowl last weekend and they said they were blown away with how much snow there was up there. Granted, Colorado undoubtedly has more, bigger, and badder terrain than anything in AZ. For locals though, AZ Snowbowl is providing a lot of fun this year.
Sunrise has a 100" base right now. It's a weird year when they have a much deeper base than Vail, Breckinridge or Copper.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:58 PM

453 posts, read 1,055,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
No amount of snow in the world would change the fact that Snowbowl only offers about 2000 feet of vertical, maybe 150 skiable acres if it's lucky, and extremely flat, boring terrain. Same with Sunrise. And, don't forget, the same screwy weather systems that have been dumping on AZ have also been hitting CO, and we've been having a banner year here for skiing. Snowpack in the San Juans right now is about 167% of the 100-year average, and we haven't even hit the real heart of the snowy season yet.

I don't mean to sound like a snob or anything, and I realize that Flagstaff is a much more convenient day or weekend trip from Phoenix than CO or Utah are. But I've been skiing for most of my life, live in Colorado and have visited most of the major resorts in the American and Canadian Rockies. At this point, I'd consider myself to be pretty experienced & pretty good. If it's not technically challenging, steep, and deep, I get bored. In fact, I probably spend more time backcountry skiing these days than I do at resorts. The one time I skied Snowbowl I basically laughed at it & thought to myself, "This is it? Are you kidding?" Personally, I wouldn't pay money to ski there ever again, given the other options in the region.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:31 PM

172 posts, read 19,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
No amount of snow in the world would change the fact that Snowbowl only offers about 2000 feet of vertical, maybe 150 skiable acres if it's lucky
Wow, you're way off, it's 2300 vertical feet and 777 acres.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area