Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,139 times

Advertisements

I am 24 years old. Married with three kids (from 6 months, 5yr old and 3yr old). I work at the airport so I will be working at Phoenix airport.

My husband will have to find a job that's on opposite shift of mine so we don't have to worry about child care. Schools and neighborhoods is very important seeing as we do have young children who will be in school. We own or house outside of Detroit, MI so we're looking to own a house eventually. Our budget is $1000 a month really under that if we can. We not really "hangers" but we do like to get out here and there so we don't mind driving to get out. I do monthly grocery shopping but I love Walmart as everyone does .

Any ideas on where we should be looking to live? I do have friends who love in buckeye and I do love it there where they love at. Is it possible to get a mortgage and have monthly rate of $1000?

Any advice to give to me. ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 10:57 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Buckeye is a LONG way from Sky Harbor and not a pleasant commute in traffic. You're not going to get a lot for $1000/month for a family of your size. You'll get the most bang for your buck in the outskirts like Buckeye but the commute will be brutal.

Maybe look in Laveen as that would be a much better commute.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:20 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,825 times
Buckeye is not THAT far from Sky Harbor, I work at the airport and live in Maricopa. I love it here, clean, safe and only about a half hour or so away. Buckeye is nice as well, my friend just bought in Verano and he is very happy.

And yes you will be able to get a mortgage for around that amount. We looked in Laveen prior to buying and you get a lot less house out there not to mention the various sketchy areas that you're around.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:56 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
In Maricopa, you can get a nice house with a $1000 monthly mortgage and it's a nice community. Buckeye is also nice and I believe slightly more expensive but still very reasonable.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:55 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky313 View Post
I am 24 years old. Married with three kids (from 6 months, 5yr old and 3yr old). I work at the airport so I will be working at Phoenix airport.

My husband will have to find a job that's on opposite shift of mine so we don't have to worry about child care. Schools and neighborhoods is very important seeing as we do have young children who will be in school. We own or house outside of Detroit, MI so we're looking to own a house eventually. Our budget is $1000 a month really under that if we can. We not really "hangers" but we do like to get out here and there so we don't mind driving to get out. I do monthly grocery shopping but I love Walmart as everyone does .

Any ideas on where we should be looking to live? I do have friends who love in buckeye and I do love it there where they love at. Is it possible to get a mortgage and have monthly rate of $1000?

Any advice to give to me. ?
What happened to Houston?

Old 01-10-2016, 10:37 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,825 times
Lol block me all you want, doesn't change the fact that there are MANY successful happy people over here.

My advice to you, start being an adult, quit being a victim and start taking responsibility for your own life. In other words, grow the hell up!

Old 01-11-2016, 05:16 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
I watched the 10 reasons Arizona sux video and most of it was subjective opinion with exaggerations and some of it was just plain false...100 degrees in the winter for example. There's some validity to the fact Zona doesn't have a lot of jobs in certain fields that other states may have and that overall pay scale is lower than many other states although higher than many others as well.

The crime stuff is overstated...I compared the murder rate of Phoenix to Minneapolis and Boston (2 cities with supposedly lower murder rates) and in both cases, 4 of the 5 years listed, Phoenix murder rate was lower than both Boston and Minneapolis.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:56 AM

4 posts, read 6,248 times
My husband and I moved to Surprise, AZ in 2015. We brought our daughter and granddaughter with us. None of us had jobs but my husband soon secured a job as a maintenance technician with Macy's logistics in Goodyear. Our daughter is a nurse and secured a very good job in Phoenix. Her commute is approximately 50 minutes...some times more depending on traffic and events in the area.

We knew coming to AZ we would have to be concerned about our granddaughters education. She attends a charter school and we are very pleased with her education. Teachers and parents working together make for a very well balanced education.

I work independently and can say I have helped to establish families in the Buckeye area. They love the area and feel the access to the highway makes for a convenient location. Is everything perfect since we moved here...no but we have lived elsewhere and you can find something to complain about if you look for it. I would tell you to look forward to the new chapter in your life.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:23 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Graduated HS here, went to college here, have never had a problem finding/holding a job in the Phoenix Metro area.

OP: Sounds like you are looking for a property in the $150 - $175 range (depending on how much you have down)? Quick MLS seach for a minimum 3 bedroom list over 2000 properties under $175k. Yes, you can find a property for $1k per month.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:05 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,437 times
You might look into various entry-level careers such as truck driving, for which a clean rap sheet and drug test and a regular driver's license (to start with) are about all the materials you need. There is a current and projected future shortage of over-the-road truck drivers. Many trucking companies will pay for your school to earn your CDL. That's about the most succinct path to a decent job I can think of. Swift and Knight both are headquartered in Phoenix, if you'd like to start there.

EDIT: here is a link to Trucking Truth, which has a wealth of information about this easily accessible career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area