Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 06:59 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,623,038 times

Advertisements

Recently, I was looking to possibly move closer to work. I am single, so just looking for a studio or 1 bedroom apt. Have you noticed how 99% of apartment complexes in the valley look identical? Anyway, when looking in the apt guide, I was shocked how many were considered luxury apartments. Studios start at $800!!!! And that does NOT include utilities! I live in a 3 bedroom house for that much in N Phoenix! My question? Why? Why do property companies think that people want to pay that much to live in a luxury apartment? I don't want granite countertops, and vaulted ceilings. I just want 4 walls and a roof. Apparently, that's seems to be a tall order in this town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 08:49 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Recently, I was looking to possibly move closer to work. I am single, so just looking for a studio or 1 bedroom apt. Have you noticed how 99% of apartment complexes in the valley look identical? Anyway, when looking in the apt guide, I was shocked how many were considered luxury apartments. Studios start at $800!!!! And that does NOT include utilities! I live in a 3 bedroom house for that much in N Phoenix! My question? Why? Why do property companies think that people want to pay that much to live in a luxury apartment? I don't want granite countertops, and vaulted ceilings. I just want 4 walls and a roof. Apparently, that's seems to be a tall order in this town.

Go to one of the apartment locator places. It won't cost you anything, and they know about smaller, non "luxury" complexes that will have what you are looking for.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:53 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,786 times
Supply and demand. Also, most complexes are owned by a handful of companies. When you have a large market share, you can drive up prices.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:25 AM

628 posts, read 1,437,001 times
It's a trend all around the country unfortunately and the continual rise in income inequality won't convince anyone to build affordable housing. Gentrification is inevitable.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:39 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
It's a trend all around the country unfortunately and the continual rise in income inequality won't convince anyone to build affordable housing. Gentrification is inevitable.
I feel like the bottom will fall out in a few years, at least here in Phoenix. I know a few local business owners downtown that aren't buying into the hype.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:08 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
Its common. Charge ridiculous rent prices because it says "luxury" in the title, and give it some catchy, goofy name (ie "Elev8" or "Moderne"), and VOILA! A recipe for suckers to pay out the wazoo for some mediocre living space.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:16 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
Ditto on using an apartment locating service. The last two apartments I had to find I used one, they found me both places within an hour. Took me another hour or so to drive up and look at the places. Had a new place both times by lunchtime. Neither place were luxury by any means, typical "Bachelor Pad" kind of places. If you are north Phoenix that's where I found these places.

The other thing I found is that rental prices on apartments fluctuate. It's more expensive to rent one now than it will be after winter visitors have left in April. So the place I started to rent in October for $600 a month went for $750 if you tried to lease it in January.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:50 AM

848 posts, read 967,452 times
They all say luxury, they all say they have amazing amenities, they all say they're close to everything, they all say they're spacious, they all say they have "upgraded" interiors even when they don't. We've checked out every single apartment complex between northwest Ahwatukee to southeast Chandler in the last two months, and every single one of them say every single one of these things even if they aren't even close. It's just marketing BS.

One thing we have noticed that is consistent is that properties that have been built by Mark Taylor (even if they may not be currently owned by them) in the last 10 years or so really do fit the description for the most part (be careful though, they do also manage properties that they haven't built). Some of the floor plans might feel a little small for a small family (2 adults, two tiny children/toddlers/babies) given the reported square footage, but they really are nice.

We have noticed that the prices pretty closely reflect the area. Nice apartments South of 202 and east of Price Rd go for consistently more than apartments, say, north of Chandler Blvd and east of AZ/Alma School (and for good reason).

But yes, ALL apartment complexes say they're luxury. Even if it's not on the name, it WILL be there somewhere on the site in their sales pitch.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:18 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,623,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Its common. Charge ridiculous rent prices because it says "luxury" in the title, and give it some catchy, goofy name (ie "Elev8" or "Moderne"), and VOILA! A recipe for suckers to pay out the wazoo for some mediocre living space.
Its odd that all of the apartments in or around I-10 and Ray rd. are outrageously high, yet, are completely surrounded by 100's of businesses that hire minimum wage employees.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:31 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,898 times
There are proposals for new micro apartments near downtown Phoenix. These will still probably be overpriced for the square footage you have, but I'm sure rents won't be as outrageous as a standard sized apartment. It's all about location here. There are PLENTY of affordable apartment complexes outside of the more central neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area