U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 05:14 PM

125 posts, read 99,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
1) Are you a subscriber to "Bug Out" or "Castle" doctrine? That can be a deciding factor when considering specific areas.

[snip]

Different schools of thought on whether you should "hide in plain site" in a standard neighborhood or do something like a remote enclave of the greater city. There are tons of little neighborhoods that are just off the beaten track that people don't realize are there.

[snip]
I haven't researched the different doctrines and their strategies, I just know I have a delicate wife who isn't even willing to try camping, so bugging out isn't high on the list. I, too, am a city slicker and wouldn't know what to do with an animal after I shot it. I'm assuming this puts us in the Castle camp. Also, we're very friendly and social people, so we're hoping that we could be part of a community that helps one another out, rather than holing up in a bunker.

As for these little neighborhoods, do you refer to something like Verrado / Cave Creek?

Finally, do you recommend any resources for learnign about this "hide in plain sight" strategy?

Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 05:14 PM

784 posts, read 1,721,800 times
Personally, I find Mormons particularly resourceful and prepared for a situation like you mention. Not sure where in Idaho you were, but when I lived in Boise and mountain home I did not feel like an outcast. It also seems as though a majority of Mormons I see are predominantly white, and have a supply cache that you could potentially barter with or work together in a time of need.

Secondly, my personal choice would be somewhere toward the edge of town. I don't believe in the immediate flight to the mountains like so many fantasize about. Shelter in place at your home in familiar surroundings, people, and hopefully some supplies to try and wait it out seems more likely. But maybe a time will come when one needs to evacuate.
I can make it to dirt from my house in about a mile and can continue on dirt to the Bradshaw mountains, mingus mountains, or many other places to the north.
I would look in to areas in the 85383, 85310, and 85086 zip codes. Large diversity in property type from tract homes to homes on an acre or more. Decently affluent area with easy access to areas with low population. Family friendly, good schools, tons to do for wife/moms etc.
Places like Vistancia or anthem may have even a higher sense of community and willingness to stick together in tough times.

I'm not a doomsday prepper but I am logical and resourceful and understanding of your concerns while I may not agree with every one of them.

Hopefully this helps

Old 01-11-2016, 05:17 PM

3,093 posts, read 2,782,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BjornT View Post
If gated communities aren't an option (I'm a little low on dough at the moment), are there any communities you would recommend? I'm hearing Scottsdale a lot, but what about the southern cities like Ahwatukee and Chandler?
Ahwatukee is going to get a LOT more traffic soon with the extension of the 202...and that "vacant land" south of there is the Res...so take what you will from that.

Chandler does have multiple egress points...as does southern Gilbert, Mesa, San Tan Valley and Queen Creek. You can find some relatively affordable acreage the closer to Queen Creek you get but that is a bit far IMHO. The flip side is you are close to San Tan Flats...so there is that. As far as a stay in place option...you won't get much land with the new builds in the area...the popular concept was to put large houses on postage stamps.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
Personally, I find Mormons particularly resourceful and prepared for a situation like you mention. Not sure where in Idaho you were, but when I lived in Boise and mountain home I did not feel like an outcast. It also seems as though a majority of Mormons I see are predominantly white, and have a supply cache that you could potentially barter with or work together in a time of need.

Secondly, my personal choice would be somewhere toward the edge of town. I don't believe in the immediate flight to the mountains like so many fantasize about. Shelter in place at your home in familiar surroundings, people, and hopefully some supplies to try and wait it out seems more likely. But maybe a time will come when one needs to evacuate.
I can make it to dirt from my house in about a mile and can continue on dirt to the Bradshaw mountains, mingus mountains, or many other places to the north.
I would look in to areas in the 85383, 85310, and 85086 zip codes. Large diversity in property type from tract homes to homes on an acre or more. Decently affluent area with easy access to areas with low population. Family friendly, good schools, tons to do for wife/moms etc.
Places like Vistancia or anthem may have even a higher sense of community and willingness to stick together in tough times.

I'm not a doomsday prepper but I am logical and resourceful and understanding of your concerns while I may not agree with every one of them.

Hopefully this helps
It certainly does, thanks! And as for my concerns, I listed them ideal things about a city, but not things I necessarily require. It's not like I go through life filtering out people who don't look/think like me, nor do I judge others without knowing them (for example, Liberals and non-Whites can be amazing people, and I'm blessed to know tons who are, and I also agree that Mormons are usually lovely). I just thought I'd be as efficient as possible by including all of my "it would be nice if" qualities in one post. The demographic concerns are mostly for comfort reasons (and to avoid a culture shock, coming as we do from one of the richest zip codes in the country), and are ultimately less important than logistical concerns like security.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:36 PM

784 posts, read 1,721,800 times
I don't think you will find a large central density of Mormon here like Idaho however. Maybe Gilbert but I am not familiar with the area just the stereotypes.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Ahwatukee is going to get a LOT more traffic soon with the extension of the 202...and that "vacant land" south of there is the Res...so take what you will from that.
I was aware that it's a reservation, but, having not lived near one before, I don't know what difference it would make. Are there reasons for concern? I don't know much about reservations other than that they have their own laws and they often experience greater amounts of certain crimes and substance abuse.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:42 PM

9,077 posts, read 5,620,769 times
OP, how do you feel about HOAs?

Old 01-11-2016, 05:59 PM

3,093 posts, read 2,782,343 times
Quote:
I haven't researched the different doctrines and their strategies, I just know I have a delicate wife who isn't even willing to try camping, so bugging out isn't high on the list. I, too, am a city slicker and wouldn't know what to do with an animal after I shot it. I'm assuming this puts us in the Castle camp. Also, we're very friendly and social people, so we're hoping that we could be part of a community that helps one another out, rather than holing up in a bunker.

As for these little neighborhoods, do you refer to something like Verrado / Cave Creek?

Finally, do you recommend any resources for learning about this "hide in plain sight" strategy?

Thanks very much.
Fair enough. Cave Creek would be a good option with folks that desire the wide open spaces as well as the slightly higher elevation of the North Valley. I can't speak to Verrado...I haven't been there.

Some food for thought: Bunker Down or Bug Out? :: Safecastle.com

As far as "hiding in plain sight", the idea would be to live in a typical neighborhood (preferably with a basement) and develop a neighborhood network with neighbors that share your concern. The "Hiding in plain sight" portion of this would be if something happens, we are able to almost conduct ourselves like others would...with the caveat that we are actually taking care of our own rather than running on the grocery store.

Look like them
Walk like them
Behave like them

Be better prepared than them

Old 01-11-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. Cave Creek would be a good option with folks that desire the wide open spaces as well as the slightly higher elevation of the North Valley. I can't speak to Verrado...I haven't been there.

Some food for thought: Bunker Down or Bug Out? :: Safecastle.com

As far as "hiding in plain sight", the idea would be to live in a typical neighborhood (preferably with a basement) and develop a neighborhood network with neighbors that share your concern. The "Hiding in plain sight" portion of this would be if something happens, we are able to almost conduct ourselves like others would...with the caveat that we are actually taking care of our own rather than running on the grocery store.

Look like them
Walk like them
Behave like them

Be better prepared than them
EXACTLY what I had in mind. Thanks again, I'm going to go read that article right now.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:06 PM

7,338 posts, read 4,443,783 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input!

Although there are certainly many big events that could cause collapse, such as:
  • Natural disasters, especially if Yellowstone Lake blows (supervolcano, i.e., the reason southern Idaho is flat and the soil is volcanic ash)
  • EMP event, whether man-made or from solar activity
  • War and/or nuclear event
  • Hackers taking down the power grid (just happened in Ukraine yesterday, IIRC)
However, much more likely, and I believe imminent, is financial collapse, which is already underway in much of the world (the USA is unusual in how little our stock markets have declined), and we just opened 2016 with the worst stock market seen in ages. Last week in China, the government shut down the stock market, multiple times, before it could crash completely. In places like Greece, the govt shut down the banks to avoid a run. And on it goes.

I'm so convinced of hard times coming, in fact, that I'm planning to open a Bankruptcy and Debt Relief practice (I'm a lawyer) once I get settled in.

If you want to stay up to date on this, check out ZeroHedge.com. It's a very active site, and they use raw data to back everything up, rather than just fearmongering and zombification scenarios.
To answer your question, Phoenix is one of the last places I would consider moving in times of strife. Our entire urban existence is predicated on extensive and expensive infastructure subsidized by the federal government. The second the grid goes you will have hot thirsty people. Those are people you don't want to be around in one of these disasters you're alluding to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or